Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nyyfan4life View Post
    If we cut Sanchez, we still have to pay him about 4M which would affect our cap. If we keep him, he's owed 8.25M in base salary but he has bonuses due which would increase his overall cap value to 12.853M. I'm not sure what the number would be if we trade him though.
    I don't think your numbers are right. What's your source?

Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
    -Sun Tzu

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Magoo View Post
    I don't think your numbers are right. What's your source?
    nyjetscap

What's your source?
    Last edited by nyyfan4life; 12-11-2012 at 02:14 AM.
    Yankees - Jets - Rockets

vCash
    nyjetscap

What's your source?
    The numbers I saw from nyjetscap showed that cutting Sanchez cost the Jets $12MM because of the $8.5MM guaranteed and bonus money. The $4.3 you're quoting is a savings from his total cap hit of $17.2MM. It's a -$4.3MM if he's cut. That means it's more expensive to cut than to keep him.
    Last edited by Mr. Magoo; 12-11-2012 at 02:27 AM.

Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
    -Sun Tzu

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Magoo View Post
    The numbers I saw from nyjetscap showed that cutting Sanchez cost the Jets 12MM because of the $8.5MM guaranteed and bonus money.
    http://nyjetscap.com/salary13.html

Those are the Jets salary cap commitments for next season. If you see Sanchez' number underneath the "Cap Savings if Cut" tab it says (4,300,000). Parenthesis mean negative dollar amounts. Am I reading the graphic wrong?

I think you might have Magoo'd yourself.
    Last edited by nyyfan4life; 12-11-2012 at 03:32 AM. Reason: awesome
    Yankees - Jets - Rockets

vCash
    Assuming my math is correct. If the Jets are able to trade Sanchez in the off-season, that would net us a saving of 3.95M.

When a player is traded, the base salary is transferred to the new team (in Sanchez' case that's 8.25M). The old team is on the hook for the bonuses that have been accounted for but not yet paid (usually the signing bonus). Sanchez has 4 payments due in the next 4 years that the Jets are on the hook for. (4.103125M in 2013, 1.6M from 2014-2016). The total money that the Jets would owe Sanchez, if traded, is $8,903,125M.

We have found the total amount we would owe Sanchez. That’s part one.
    The next part is finding his total cap value for that year (the year being 2013 in this scenario). It’s fairly easy, thanks to nyjetscap.com. To find the total cap value (you can just look under their tab) or just add the base salary, prorated (signing bonus) and any other bonus due (roster, workout, etc..). Sanchez’ base is 8.25M, his prorated bonus is 4.103124M and he has a misc bonus of 0.500K due. You add those together and you get 12.853125M.

Now you just subtract the two numbers. 12,853,125 subtracted by 8,903,125 comes out to $3,950,000. If the bonus amount is higher than the total cap value for that specific year, then you would lose money. If it’s higher then you will save cap space.

This is if we trade him and I’m 95% sure this is accurate. It’s different if we release him.

To figure out the amount we would save or lose, if we cut him, we can either look at nyjetscap or we can just do some simple math.

Total Cap Value – Total dead money if cut = How much you save or lose if a player is cut. If the amount is negative, then you lose money. If positive, then you gain cap space. Very simple.

First we have to find how much dead money there’d be if we release him. We can either just look at nyjetscap’s figure or just add the two numbers we found above; the base salary (8.25M) and the total amount of bonus we owe Sanchez (8.903125M). You add those two numbers are you get 17.153125M which is confirmed by nyjetscap.
    12.853125 Minus 17.153125M equals (-)4.3M.

This number is confirmed by nyjetscap.

All in all, if we keep Sanchez his total value’s worth would be over 12.5M against the cap. If we cut him, his contract would still count against the cap (4.3M, in addition to the base salary and bonuses) and if we are able to trade him then we would save a bit over 3M in cap space. Basically, its either you keep him or trade him. Cutting him would be stupid.

The thing people continue to forget is that when a player is traded the new team is on the hook for the entire base salary, not the old team.

Also, I'm not a cap expert at all. All the numbers that I have used are from nyjetscap.com. If my numbers or anything are wrong, my bad. I'm pretty sure the numbers are accurate though.
    Last edited by nyyfan4life; 12-11-2012 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Yankees - Jets - Rockets

vCash
    Assuming my math is correct. If the Jets are able to trade Sanchez in the off-season, that would net us a saving of 3.95M.

When a player is traded, the base salary is transferred to the new team (in Sanchez' case that's 8.25M). The old team is on the hook for the bonuses that have been accounted for but not yet paid (usually the signing bonus). Sanchez has 4 payments due in the next 4 years that the Jets are on the hook for. (4.103125M in 2013, 1.6M from 2014-2016). The total money that the Jets would owe Sanchez, if traded, is $8,903,125M.

We have found the total amount we would owe Sanchez. Thatís part one.
    The next part is finding his total cap value for that year (the year being 2013 in this scenario). Itís fairly easy, thanks to nyjetscap.com. To find the total cap value (you can just look under their tab) or just add the base salary, prorated (signing bonus) and any other bonus due (roster, workout, etc..). Sanchezí base is 8.25M, his prorated bonus is 4.103124M and he has a misc bonus of 0.500K due. You add those together and you get 12.853125M.

Now you just subtract the two numbers. 12,853,125 subtracted by 8,903,125 comes out to $3,950,000. If the bonus amount is higher than the total cap value for that specific year, then you would lose money. If itís higher then you will save cap space.

This is if we trade him and Iím 95% sure this is accurate. Itís different if we release him.

To figure out the amount we would save or lose, if we cut him, we can either look at nyjetscap or we can just do some simple math.

Total Cap Value Ė Total dead money if cut = How much you save or lose if a player is cut. If the amount is negative, then you lose money. If positive, then you gain cap space. Very simple.

First we have to find how much dead money thereíd be if we release him. We can either just look at nyjetscapís figure or just add the two numbers we found above; the base salary (8.25M) and the total amount of bonus we owe Sanchez (8.903125M). You add those two numbers are you get 17.153125M which is confirmed by nyjetscap.
    12.853125 Minus 17.153125M equals (-)4.3M.

This number is confirmed by nyjetscap.

All in all, if we keep Sanchez his total valueís worth would be over 12.5M against the cap. If we cut him, his contract would still count against the cap (4.3M) and if we are able to trade him then we would save a bit over 3M in cap space.

The thing people continue to forget is that when a player is traded the new team is on the hook for the entire base salary, not the old team.

Also, I'm not a cap expert at all. All the numbers that I have used are from nyjetscap.com. If my numbers or anything are wrong, my bad. I'm pretty sure the numbers are accurate though.
    The part that sucks is that no team in their right mind would trade for Sanchez and be stuck with his 8.25M base along with the 0.5M roster bonus that is due to him in 2013.
    Yankees - Jets - Rockets

vCash
    I think Seattle would be motivated to take Sanchez in a trade if we throw in a draft pick. They are on the hook for Flynn through 2014, while the Sanchez contract runs out after 2013, which gives them more flexibility. If they like Sanchez as a backup, they can sign him to a more reasonable contract after next year. If the Jets do the trade, I guess they take the cap hit for Sanchez, but that would mean they would not be taking a hit for Flynn, because Seattle would be then be taking it instead. This cap stuff is rather confusing, but it would be good to know exactly how it works with the tade, and if the 2 teams are able to manipulate the numbers. Perhaps the best way would be to renegotiate both contracts.

I can easily see both players wanting the trade to happen, and so if the teams both want it as well, I'm pretty sure they can work it out without terrible cap ramifications.

vCash
    http://nyjetscap.com/salary13.html

Those are the Jets salary cap commitments for next season. If you see Sanchez' number underneath the "Cap Savings if Cut" tab it says (4,300,000). Parenthesis mean negative dollar amounts. Am I reading the graphic wrong?

I think you might have Magoo'd yourself.
    That means the cap savings are negative, aka it costs us more to cut him than keep him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by steveg888 View Post
    I think Seattle would be motivated to take Sanchez in a trade if we throw in a draft pick. They are on the hook for Flynn through 2014, while the Sanchez contract runs out after 2013, which gives them more flexibility. If they like Sanchez as a backup, they can sign him to a more reasonable contract after next year. If the Jets do the trade, I guess they take the cap hit for Sanchez, but that would mean they would not be taking a hit for Flynn, because Seattle would be then be taking it instead. This cap stuff is rather confusing, but it would be good to know exactly how it works with the tade, and if the 2 teams are able to manipulate the numbers. Perhaps the best way would be to renegotiate both contracts.

I can easily see both players wanting the trade to happen, and so if the teams both want it as well, I'm pretty sure they can work it out without terrible cap ramifications.

Sanchez would also be reunited with Pete Carroll, and according to what Carroll says he loves Sanchez and Im pretty sure in a trade teams can agree to pay different parts of the Salary or give money in return, like we had to do with Tebow so that could definitely be an option but I think we would have to give up more then just Sanchez for Flynn.
    Last edited by iBleedGreeeN; 12-11-2012 at 01:19 PM.
    NY Jets 8-8
    In Rex We Trust

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymfan87 View Post
    That means the cap savings are negative, aka it costs us more to cut him than keep him.
    Obviously.
    Yankees - Jets - Rockets

vCash
    Obviously.
    Ah, I misread your earlier post. I thought you were trying to say we would save $4.3m by cutting him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymfan87 View Post
    Ah, I misread your earlier post. I thought you were trying to say we would save $4.3m by cutting him.
    I thought he was saying our cap hit would only be $4.3MM by cutting him.

Sometimes it's hard to understand posts that are written like Mr. Magoo drives.

-Sun Tzu

vCash
    Noooooooooooooobody is going to "do us a favor" and make a trade for Sanchez for the money he is owed - NOBODY. Pete Carroll might "like" Sanchez, but he has a really cheap 3rd rounder playing like a pro-bowl caliber QB, and Matt Flynn as a very viable back-up QB, and the most he can make, or "cost" in 2013 is $5.25 million, but only 2 million of that is guaranteed - the rest is escalators that he'll never reach as long as Wilson is starting, ("Spotrack.com" had his numbers much higher, but I have confirmed these numbers at "Rotoworld" "Bleacher Report," and "Profootballtalk"), and there is NO WAY they're going to trade a good QB, for Sanchez, AND take on $6+ million MORE in salary.

The Seahawks are THE LAST team in the NFL that would do this because their QB situation is pretty cherry.

Remember - Sanchez, as so many of you have so frequently pointed out - is one of the worst QBs in the NFL by multiple parameters. WHO in their right minds would even sign him (that might be a little strong), let alone trade for him and his salary? The GM that brings Sanchez in opens himself up for total ridicule, and abuse.

I still think that there is a chance that he can be a decent QB, if not here - somewhere sometime, but not next year for another team. SO how about we quit this QB mental masturbation about Sanchez. We have a much better chance of Sanchez turning things around and becoming a pro-bowl QB, than we do having another team come and give us anything - let alone a good QB - for Sanchez (I hope you get the irony that the chance of Sanchez becoming a pro-bowl QB next year is pretty slim).

We're better off wishing that he swallows what ever pride he has left - goes to a QB "Guru" and learns how to throw, and read defenses, and more importantly - goes to a sports psychologist because he can play better than this - but he is a mental basket case - either that, or he's an idiot, and doesn't realize how terrible he has been this year.

Rookie QBs are cheap - maybe they can find one in the 3rd round that can come in and play better than Sanchez - it's a long-shot, but why not.

GO JETS!!!
    Last edited by jetsfansince'67; 12-11-2012 at 04:18 PM.

vCash
    Whats sad is what the Jets are doing with the QB. If Sanchez is going to fail let him fail by throwing the ball around. Treating Sanchez like a rookie 7th round draft pick making his first start does nothing for the Jets or Sanchez.

Almost any QB in the NFL can do what the Jets are asking from the QB position. How can Sanchez grow? How can the Jets evaluate him? Has Rex/F.O. come to a conclusion already?

I just feel Rex and the coaching staff are game planning to keep Jobs.

"The Butt of all jokes"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
    Whats sad is what the Jets are doing with the QB. If Sanchez is going to fail let him fail by throwing the ball around. Treating Sanchez like a rookie 7th round draft pick making his first start does nothing for the Jets or Sanchez.

Almost any QB in the NFL can do what the Jets are asking from the QB position. How can Sanchez grow? How can the Jets evaluate him? Has Rex/F.O. come to a conclusion already?

I just feel Rex and the coaching staff are game planning to keep Jobs.
    I completely agree with you on this. The thing is that he has to have someone to throw to. They just game him a true wideout, which he hasn't had in a while....and certainly hasn't had this year.

While Braylon is far from an elite WR, he is far better than anyone they've had not names Holmes since 2010, and even Holmes is a different kind of receiver because of his size.

-Sun Tzu

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast