• Yes

5 31.25%
  • No

5 31.25%
  • Need another off season to decide.

6 37.50%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    Stop? Why??? The guy's draft history is AWFUL!!

Does Broyles first ACL directly impact his other? No. But when you have a red flag raised prior to draft, you ignore it, and the same thing happens over again (regardless of being the other ACL) I'm sorry but that says something!! Maybe the guy has a vitamin deficiency, maybe he just has weak ACLs, maybe he's just "injury prone"...but the goddamn correlation is too DIRECT and STRONG to just ignore and chalk up to "dumb luck".

Follett had injury issues coming into the draft as well. Those were ignored. He's now retired living in California. He didn't "break his neck", he sustained a neck injury. And I personally spent time with him after the injury...he didn't have the fight in him anymore, he was sick of being hurt and getting beat up.

Titus had behavior issues coming into the draft as well. Those were ignored. He's now been sent home, purposely benched, and now placed on IR without a real injury due to behavior issues.

Best had concussion issues coming into the draft as well. Those were ignored. He's now OUT indefinitely and will most likely never play another NFL game as long as he lives.

Pettigrew had a FIRST ROUND PICK spent on him. He currently has more fumbles than TDs on the season, despite being one of the most targeted TEs in the league. FIRST ROUND PICK!!! And was taken before Clay Matthews, Vontae Davis, Lesan McCoy, Percy Harvin, Hakeem Nicks, and Beanie Wells - all players I'm sure you could use a bit more than stone hands over there. (and yes I know you can almost always find players taken after your guy that are better...but even still.)

Look up a handful of GOOD GMs and examine their draft selections over that same period of time...see how their picks are panning out. I guarantee in doing so you'll see more clearly how horrible Mayhew is drafting. His three biggest hits (Stafford, Suh, Fairley) were also practically no-brainers. It's like Joe D taking Monroe, Knight and Drummond. The true GM becomes evident in the later rounds, and outside of the first where you have to dig up your talent and make some major decisions. And he ain't doing that at ALL. The latest picked guy in your breakdown actually contributing this season is Willie Young. And he's a back up. A back up to TWO DEs who are under performing all season long. WOOOP DEE DOO

Scrap Detroit!!

Quote Originally Posted by basch152 View Post
    First of all, players like Matthews and Ware actually ARE overrated...

No, the best comparison to Miggy is Albert Pujols. And I'll be honest, Cabrera doesn't really compare favorably to Pujols.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by garnotm View Post
    your reaching here...it was a blown knee on a play were he got twisted up really bad he wasn't compensating for his other knee at all and was playing pretty good.
    I'm not reaching because I made sure I was clear when I said it may NOT have contributed to Broyles' injury.

The question was could one ACL injury impact the liklihood of the other being injured, and I answered YES there is a chance and I gave my explaination. Ask anyone who knows anything about sports medicine and I guarantee they will agree.

vCash
    You'd most definitely develop - all be it inadvertently - a habit of favoring your non-healing leg during the process. And you'd definitely be working on strengthening the previously injured one. Each natural occurrence could most DEFINITELY contribute to a situation causing an injury in the other leg to some degree.

Definitely not the CAUSE, but certainly a factor.

Scrap Detroit!!

No, the best comparison to Miggy is Albert Pujols. And I'll be honest, Cabrera doesn't really compare favorably to Pujols.

vCash
    I guess the best way to actually answer wheter or not Mayhew knows how to draft would be to compare his results against a proven GM whom gets it right year-after-year. Since the 2009-2011 drafts are the ones that were being debated earlier in the thread, where 9 of Mayhew's 21 draft picks are on active roster today (you can say 11 if you caount Titus Young and Jahvid Best whom may never play again) I compared it to the Patriots whom have a reputation for drafting well.

Here's what I found:

2009 draft; NE drafted 12 players. six of those players were in rounds 5-7. A total of 5 players are still on the team today (Chung, Brace, Vollmer, Pryor, Edelman)

2010 draft; NE drafted 12 players. 7 of those players are on the team today (McCourty, Cunningham, Gronkowski, Spikes, Hernandez, Mesko, Deaderick)

2011 draft; NE drafted 9 players. 7 of those players are on the team today (Cannon, Mallett, M.Williams, Solder, I-Dowling, Vereen, Ridley)

In those three drafts, 19 players remain on the team with only 53 men allowed on the roster. That is 36% of the entire team!!

How can that be when back in 2009, NE was drafting with already a roster in place to compete for a superbowl and we were drafting coming off an 0-16 season?? Who had more holes to fill during those years, DET or NE??

That is my point, good GMs will find players that will contribute long-term through the draft no matter how good thier roster already is. Our roster was garbage and Mayhew still misses.

I can also go on about how they HIT in the mid-to-late rounds as well (Edelman 7th round, Hernandez 4th round, ect) but you guys already know that.....instead we sit here and get all hyped up when Tahir Whitehead makes a special teams tackle (here and there) when we give a divisional opponent extra draft picks to draft him; or we talk about how great some drafted player will be one day once they get thier **** together health/behavior wise (i.e. Best, Greenwood, Young, LeShoure, R.Lewis).
    Last edited by mc18641; 12-05-2012 at 09:27 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket View Post
    LOL @ mc just stop dude.
    stop what? saving everybody from defending some bum that is gonna put our team back into dire straights?

let me ask you? before the ford family hired mayhew as GM, who hired him as assistant GM?

MILLEN hired this guy initally. Don't think that these two guys didn't share some similiar philosophies. Mayhew worked DIRECTLY under Millen for 8 years!!

Some of that crap drafting back then was partially the work of Mayhew as well. Don't think for one second he just sat there like some "yes man" for 8 seasons. He contributed to that train wreck just as much as everybody else

vCash
    anyone getting hired after Matt Miller was going to look great. But he is not a great GM, not even average.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mc18641 View Post
    stop what? saving everybody from defending some bum that is gonna put our team back into dire straights?

let me ask you? before the ford family hired mayhew as GM, who hired him as assistant GM?

MILLEN hired this guy initally. Don't think that these two guys didn't share some similiar philosophies. Mayhew worked DIRECTLY under Millen for 8 years!!

Some of that crap drafting back then was partially the work of Mayhew as well. Don't think for one second he just sat there like some "yes man" for 8 seasons. He contributed to that train wreck just as much as everybody else
    Right back to dire straights!? I must be losing my fn mind now because I swear Mayhew was the GM who built the team that went to the playoffs last year. If we weren't a playoff team last season, 3 seasons after 0-16, and I made that up in my head or someone Inception'ed that into my brain, then I have to commit myself but I'm pretty sure we did, and I'm pretty sure Mayhew gets ALL the credit for putting that team into place.
    Great American Baseball Tour: Brewers, Twins, Cubs, White Sox, Cardinals, Royals ,Cleveland, Detroit and Reds

vCash
    The ultimate judge of NFL success is wins. Last season the Lions were 10-6 and made the playoffs. This season they are 4-8 and faltering bad. He obviously did not do a good job this past off season considering this should be a team on the rise, built around elite young players.

If Mayhew can't figure it out in the draft, then he needs to trade the picks and get better starters for this team. Stafford, Suh and Johnson are the main pieces, fill in the rest of the team with solid players and go to the playoffs every year. If we get less than this, he is doing a bad job.

I also think Schwartz is on the hook. It might be the fact that Jimbo doesn't know how to get the most out of the young guys MM is giving him. I'd fire Schwartz first and let MM know he's on a year by year basis and we expect great things.
    2013 PSD Lions Forum Fantasy Football Champion

vCash
    After reading everyones posts I have to agree with Driz and mc18641. Mayhew's first two years were no-brainers. I love the Reiff pick but question the pick a little. We all knew going into last off season we needed to upgrade the secondary and although Mayhew drafted help it wasn't nearly enough. Last Sunday against the Colts was a prime example of that. I would have much rather drafted defense the first two picks or even traded back with someone to gain more picks than to take Reiff and Broyles. You can argue that when you draft you draft for the future but we went 10-6 last year and made the playoffs. We lost the last two games against the Packers and Saints(playoff game) because of our secondary. I would have drafted Harrison Smith instead of Broyles because Speivey and Coleman suck. Coleman is gone now. Smith and Delmas would have been a great safety pair.
    Last edited by vader817; 12-05-2012 at 10:53 AM.

Florida State Seminoles Overall: 14-0 ACC: 8-0 (BCS National Champions )

Favorite Teams
    Detroit Red Wings 37-27-14 Pts.: 88
    Detroit LionsWelcome to Detroit Jim Caldwell!!!
    Detroit Tigers 4-1
    North Carolina Tarheels Mens Basketball Good Season Boys!!

vCash
    Mayhew isn't going anywhere and he shouldn't! This guy took the worst team in NFL history and made them a playoff caliber/contender in 2 short years! We have lost 8 games this year and at least 4 of them are coordinators fault not mayhews, he dont play the games! I agree that we need a change but i think its the firing of linehan and a switch to the 3-4 Defense! We have 8 starters on D hitting free agency with a tight salary cap. The switch would help us financially and fit our talents better. Our D could like something like this:

3-4 base

Dline

Suh
    S. Hill
    Fairly

LB

T. Whitehead- fits the bill for a 3-4 OLB
    S. Tulloch
    Manti e'o draft with first pick
    R. lewis or draft pick

secondary

Houston
    Bently
    Delmas
    FA or Draft, potential= Gholdson, J. Byrd or E. Ried in draft
    J. green- dime/nickel
    C. Greenwood-nickel/dime

Obviously there is options with the draft on how to fill some spots but i think this would ultimately bring out the talent in our younger players and make us a better overall defense

vCash
    I think 3-4 would be great with this team, especially if T'ieo is there. I hope MM doesn't slug it out in the 4-3 if these guys can't get it to work. Suh + Fairley is a good enough pass rush to move the pocket. Stock up on LBs that can cover or blitz.
    2013 PSD Lions Forum Fantasy Football Champion

vCash
    Last season was a fluke. They got into the playoffs by the skin of their teeth, after winning a BUNCH of games with miracle 4th quarter comebacks. Comebacks which were thanks to Calvin (who Mayhew had nothing to do with) and Stafford (who was a no-brainer #1 pick for a team in need of a QB).

I think he has more to do with this year's issues. Off-field arrests, behavioral issues, fights between players, players with prior injury situations that come right back up, etc. He ignored all of the red flags when scouting guys, and when the big dude that looked like a duck, quacked like a duck, waddled like a duck - became a duck - I'm supposed to give the guy a free pass because his buddy Millen was even worse, or because these guys got into the playoffs last year essentially on a fluke??

C'mon man. Hold the guy to a little bit more accountability than that.

Scrap Detroit!!

Born & Raised in Michigan but now in Columbus Ohio
    vCash
    well I believe the jury is still out on mayhew. but when you ask this question who are you measuring him against previous lions gm's or other league gm's. If you compare him to millen or russ thomas then mayhew a genius but against other gm's he a risk taker and it sometimes doesnt work in his favor.
    GIFSoup

The Old Kingwood313 is Back

vCash
    Detroit Lions drafting philosophy: The apparent end of receiver Titus Young's short tenure has intensified scrutiny on the Lions' four drafts under general manager Martin Mayhew. Of the 29 players selected over that time, seven are currently starters and three more are valuable backups or special-teams players. That's not a horrendous ratio, but what stands out is that Mayhew has taken some risks that have not panned out. Young's character issues were well-known in college. The same goes for the concussion history of tailback Jahvid Best. Defensive tackle Nick Fairley is emerging as a playmaker, but not after experiencing some of the maturity issues he displayed in college. Injuries have stunted the growth of safety Louis Delmas, receiver Ryan Broyles and cornerback Dwight Bentley, and Mayhew can't be blamed for those. It should also be noted that 2012 first-round pick Riley Reiff appears ready to step in as a starter. But it's clear that after four years of drafting, Mayhew's roster still has some notable holes.
    Found this on ESPN today. This pretty much says it all about Mayhew and his drafting strategy.

Florida State Seminoles Overall: 14-0 ACC: 8-0 (BCS National Champions )

Favorite Teams
    Detroit Red Wings 37-27-14 Pts.: 88
    Detroit LionsWelcome to Detroit Jim Caldwell!!!
    Detroit Tigers 4-1
    North Carolina Tarheels Mens Basketball Good Season Boys!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by madhador View Post
    Right back to dire straights!? I must be losing my fn mind now because I swear Mayhew was the GM who built the team that went to the playoffs last year. If we weren't a playoff team last season, 3 seasons after 0-16, and I made that up in my head or someone Inception'ed that into my brain, then I have to commit myself but I'm pretty sure we did, and I'm pretty sure Mayhew gets ALL the credit for putting that team into place.
    Let's all quit bullshittin' around here. We made the playoffs last year because Cutler got hurt.

I am a lions fan and don't care for the bears at all but they had a one game lead on us last season when Cutler went down. I don't like to say it anymore than you want to hear it but chances are we would have missed the playoffs last season with Cutler in the mix.

If everyone wants to play the "could of, would of, should of" game bout potential in busted draft picks like Best, Young, ect. then it needs to work both ways, so I don't wanna hear "well we don't know for sure" about the whole cutler thing.

We got the freakin' 6th seed (when we should have gotten at least the 5th) and everyone acts like that was the accomplishment of the century.

How bout what Minnesota is doing this season? I am sure they will be 10-6 this season and perhaps in the playoffs. Last season, they were the 3rd worst team in the league. Or Indy who was the WORST team in the league and is now on a playoff run and already won 8 games? Andrew Luck fell in thier lap at the right time! This is nothing specific or special the GM did other than "being in the right place, at the right time" in the draft.

That is exectly what happened with us and Stafford. But everyone wants to crown Mayhew for that like it was a decision that was tough to make.
    Last edited by mc18641; 12-05-2012 at 02:28 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast