• Yes

5 31.25%
  • No

5 31.25%
  • Need another off season to decide.

6 37.50%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    vCash
    Round of applause for mc18641 and vader817.

I'll at least give the guy the benefit of doubt to turn it around a bit this offseason, but it's going to take two BIG strides I don't think he's going to make. Someone from the coaching staff has to go...OC, Special Teams Coach - someone. And the other being a shift in drafting philosophy...no more of this crappy BPA that's left our roster with GLARING holes and a never ending supply of early round RBs and WRs.

Change the approach, get back on track, and I'll be first one to shake the man's hand and pat him on the back for acknowledging an issue and addressing it.

What I BELIEVE he will do? Fire no one. Draft another WR and keep with the same head scratching technique that's yielded nothing aside from a couple early round talents everyone knew would excel.

Scrap Detroit!!

Quote Originally Posted by basch152 View Post
    First of all, players like Matthews and Ware actually ARE overrated...

No, the best comparison to Miggy is Albert Pujols. And I'll be honest, Cabrera doesn't really compare favorably to Pujols.

vCash
    Stop what? How about you stop ****ing blaming Mayhew for Broyles tearing his ACL. NO NO NO him tearing his other ACL has nothing to do with him tearing it again. NOTHING AT ALL. Get your heads out of your *****. If Broyles other ACL wasn't healed then he wouldn't have played now shut up. Some of you are fools and think you know more than a GM which is laughable. Your posteers on a website ****

Quote Originally Posted by kingwood313 View Post
    Calvin Johnson is the worse decoy to ever put on football pads they should have drafted a big play reciever years ago. Golden Tate is a good side piece but I wouldnt have him as my full time number 1 WR.

vCash
    From http://www.universityorthopaedic.com

What will my knee be like? and What percentage of normal will it be?

There is not a precise answer to these questions. The idea is complete 100% function, but our goal would be to achieve at least 85-95% of normal value, assuming no complications, good motivation, and adequate rehabilitation. It must be remembered that if you could tear your normal ligament, you could certainly tear the replacement. However, our experience has shown that this occurrence is rare. In fact, there is a greater likelihood that you will tear your other knee’s ACL before you tear the reconstruction.

Considering that fact...I think I'd say the same athlete experiencing pretty much the same exact injury two years in a row is a pattern. To have torn the SAME reconstructed ACL would actually be MORE of a freak occurrence than tearing the other one. Patterns are things that can be avoided when you properly identify the signs of a possible recurring issue. In this instance, avoiding a guy with a torn ACL would be avoiding a guy who is going to have a pattern of ACL issues - or knee injuries in general.

But you're right. Who cares what negative signals there are from a prospective player's college days??? It's only 100% of the basis you have to make a judgement on a guy when scouting. Why would you pay attention to that at all???
    Last edited by driz; 12-05-2012 at 04:44 PM.

Scrap Detroit!!

No, the best comparison to Miggy is Albert Pujols. And I'll be honest, Cabrera doesn't really compare favorably to Pujols.

vCash
    so? all that means is that his first knee that got injured and then fixed was reinforced stronger than a never injured healthy knee ever is. that doesn't mean the likelihood of his healthy knee getting injured increased, and mayhew should have known it was a risk......if that's what you are trying to show.
    Last edited by FortDetroit; 12-05-2012 at 04:47 PM.

vCash
    Mayhew should have known the likelihood of a player who has torn one ACL is higher to tear the other ACL than a player who has never had any injuries. Players can be injury prone. Players can act and play in a way that makes them more likely to experience injuries. Taking a 2nd round flier on a position you did not need on a guy who is coming off an ACL tear is a dumb, dumb, dumb move.

And when he goes and tears his other one this year, there isn't an ounce of surprise in it as far as I'm concerned.

There very well may not be a scientific EXACT correlation between someone who's previously torn their left ACL, and the probability of tearing your right one. But the entire science behind an NFL draft is taking bits and pieces of information, reels, test scores, interviews, etc. putting them all in a pot, bringing it to a boil and making one GIGANTIC educated guess on how the player will pan out in a level of the game they've never played, against a level of competition they've never faced. To put it bluntly, it's a gigantic GUESS. Ignoring factors like a recently torn ACL, continued problems off the field, or concussion issues - instead throwing caution in the wind and saying F IT while putting your pedal to the metal is a dangerous, risky thing to do. And Mayhew has done it time and time again, falling flat on his face repeatedly in doing so.
    Last edited by driz; 12-05-2012 at 04:54 PM.

Scrap Detroit!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by driz View Post
    Mayhew should have known the likelihood of a player who has torn one ACL is higher to tear the other ACL than a player who has never had any injuries. Players can be injury prone. Players can act and play in a way that makes them more likely to experience injuries. Taking a 2nd round flier on a position you did not need on a guy who is coming off an ACL tear is a dumb, dumb, dumb move.

And when he goes and tears his other one this year, there isn't an ounce of surprise in it as far as I'm concerned.

There very well may not be a scientific EXACT correlation between someone who's previously torn their left ACL, and the probability of tearing your right one. But the entire science behind an NFL draft is taking bits and pieces of information, reels, test scores, interviews, etc. putting them all in a pot, bringing it to a boil and making one GIGANTIC educated guess on how the player will pan out in a level of the game they've never played, against a level of competition they've never faced. To put it bluntly, it's a gigantic GUESS. Ignoring factors like a recently torn ACL, continued problems off the field, or concussion issues - instead throwing caution in the wind and saying F IT while putting your pedal to the metal is a dangerous, risky thing to do. And Mayhew has done it time and time again, falling flat on his face repeatedly in doing so.
    That's not what the link you posted says at all. It's saying that an injured/reinforced knee is stronger than a healthy knee ever is. that doesn't mean his healthy knee magically becomes weaker when his other knee gets injured, it means his reinforced knee gets stronger. look, this is what the link you posted is saying, you are looking at it all wrong:

Knee 1
    -Healthy knee, 50% chance of injury
    -Knee never gets injured, chance of injury stays at 50%

Knee 2
    -Healthy knee, 50% chance of injury
    -Knee gets injured, because the knee has been reinforced the chance of injury is now 40%.

I obviously made up the percentages, but the point remains the same. That's what the link you posted is saying. it's not saying that his healthy knee becomes weaker when the other knee gets surgery (like you think its saying that).

Tearing his ACL in one knee had no bearing on him tearing the ACL in the other.
    Last edited by FortDetroit; 12-05-2012 at 05:10 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by driz View Post
    Round of applause for mc18641 and vader817.

I'll at least give the guy the benefit of doubt to turn it around a bit this offseason, but it's going to take two BIG strides I don't think he's going to make. Someone from the coaching staff has to go...OC, Special Teams Coach - someone. And the other being a shift in drafting philosophy...no more of this crappy BPA that's left our roster with GLARING holes and a never ending supply of early round RBs and WRs.

Change the approach, get back on track, and I'll be first one to shake the man's hand and pat him on the back for acknowledging an issue and addressing it.

What I BELIEVE he will do? Fire no one. Draft another WR and keep with the same head scratching technique that's yielded nothing aside from a couple early round talents everyone knew would excel.
    Yes if he stands around and doesn't make improvements this year than I will agree his time is up...it means he is willing to accept mediocrity that is our current coaching staff. Like I said I like Schwartz and I like Mayhew but if the only way to get rid of Linehan is to have one of them fall on the gernade well then so be it Linehan is a bigger problem imo.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket View Post
    Stop what? How about you stop ****ing blaming Mayhew for Broyles tearing his ACL. NO NO NO him tearing his other ACL has nothing to do with him tearing it again. NOTHING AT ALL. Get your heads out of your *****. If Broyles other ACL wasn't healed then he wouldn't have played now shut up. Some of you are fools and think you know more than a GM which is laughable. Your posteers on a website ****
    Rocket......

If this is meant for me, I gave bout 10 more reasons why Mayhew sucks since I have mentioned anything bout broyles or his knee

My last few posts speaks to mayhew's drafting......compared to that of NE's drafting, the fact that Mayhew and Millen shared the same drafting philoposhies as they worked together for 8 seasons and the fact that we wouldn't have made the playoffs if cutler wasn't hurt last season.

Go back, read those, and tell me i'm wrong on those fronts.......I'll tell you what, I will even give you the whole broyles argument.

As far as knowing more than a GM, if you go back and read one of my first posts on this thread, the VERY FIRST SENTENCE SAYS that I relaize I don't know everything an NFL GM does.

Fact is, everyone who has a job, is under some sort of scrutuny with the public. If a McDonald's worker can get food thrown at them and spit on by customers for doing a bad job when they make minimum wage, then I think Mayhew is more than deserving of some critisism making his fat *** salary.

Problem with most lions fans, is that we are so used to settling for mediocricy, we lost sight of what it is like to actually expect what most fans from reputable organization expect.......a winning product.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234