• No

5 31.25%
  • Need another off season to decide.

6 37.50%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

vCash

Is Mayhew a Good GM?

Broyles will be fine. He's a workaholic and there has been numerous times players have come back from double ACL. Pettigrew, Vandenboesch, even frank gore had both knees done. Its an unfortunate set back but He will be fine and a stud slot WR for yr to come. How can people sit and judge mayhew like this is beyond me. He scrapped Millens poor excuse of a roster and brought us back to a playoff caliber team in just 2 yrs. So before you guys start *****ing let me ask you this simple ? Would you rather have Millen and 0-16????

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Baragalionsfan View Post
    Broyles will be fine. He's a workaholic and there has been numerous times players have come back from double ACL. Pettigrew, Vandenboesch, even frank gore had both knees done. Its an unfortunate set back but He will be fine and a stud slot WR for yr to come. How can people sit and judge mayhew like this is beyond me. He scrapped Millens poor excuse of a roster and brought us back to a playoff caliber team in just 2 yrs. So before you guys start *****ing let me ask you this simple ? Would you rather have Millen and 0-16????
    What did he do that was so genious in your opinion?

In his first draft, he brought in Stafford with the #1 overall pick. My 94 year-old grandmother could have told you that Stafford would have been better than Sanchez coming outta college.

Second draft, he brought in Suh. You show me somebody (outside of Gerald McCoy's Mom) that thought McCoy was better than Suh coming outta college, I will show you an absolute ******.

The Pettigrew pick was ok IMO but far from a "home run". Delmas can't stay on the field long enough for us to say he was a good investment but is already 4 games away from free agency.

What other draft pick has he brought in since he has been here that has you so high on him?

I will give Mayhew this.....He made a few good trades in Roy Williams to the Cowboys, Ernie Sims (to get Scheffler), and Rob Sims/ Lo. Jack from SEA but you have to go back to his first two years as GM to find decent moves like that.

All i'm saying is that now that Mayhew isn't drafting in the top 5 picks anymore and actually has to work harder at evaluating player talent in the top rounds, he has MISSED ON ALMOST EVERY PICK!

Don't take my word for it. There is an aritcle on it on this news website that questions the same thing I have been talking about since last offseason.
    Last edited by mc18641; 12-04-2012 at 12:26 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mc18641 View Post

In his first draft, he brought in Stafford with the #1 overall pick. My 94 year-old grandmother could have told you that Stafford would have been better than Sanchez coming outta college.

Second draft, he brought in Suh. You show me somebody (outside of Gerald McCoy's Mom) that thought McCoy was better than Suh coming outta college, I will show you an absolute ******.

The Pettigrew pick was ok IMO but far from a "home run". Delmas can't stay on the field long enough for us to say he was a good investment but is already 4 games away from free agency.

What other draft pick has he brought in since he has been here that has you so high on him?

I will give Mayhew this.....He made a few good trades in Roy Williams to the Cowboys, Ernie Sims (to get Scheffler), and Rob Sims/ Lo. Jack from SEA but you have to go back to his first two years as GM to find decent moves like that.

All i'm saying is that now that Mayhew isn't drafting in the top 5 picks anymore and actually has to work harder at evaluating player talent in the top rounds, he has MISSED ON ALMOST EVERY PICK!

Don't take my word for it. There is an aritcle on it on this news website that questions the same thing I have been talking about since last offseason.
    How can you say hes missed. You evaluate talent not i wonder if this guy will be hurt in the future. Pettigrew is a prom bowl caliber tight end, yeah he drops a few but that can be corrected. There are very few TE that i would take over him. Delmas is a Pro Bowl safety when healthy, (point no injury concerns in college) he will be fine. Willie young in the 7th round is a steal, jason fox will be a good RT when given the chance. The only real grip you may have is taking best with known concussions. Just to enlighten you trades are just as good as draft picks! Plus we have this yr yet to evaluate, Bentley will be solid, Rieff will be solid, Broyles is solid, and Greenwood in a yr or two could be the steal of the draft and shutdown corner we need. My one complain i would have is actually not taking J. Jenkins over rieff or at least trading back up to get him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Baragalionsfan View Post
    How can you say hes missed. You evaluate talent not i wonder if this guy will be hurt in the future. Pettigrew is a prom bowl caliber tight end, yeah he drops a few but that can be corrected. There are very few TE that i would take over him. Delmas is a Pro Bowl safety when healthy, (point no injury concerns in college) he will be fine. Willie young in the 7th round is a steal, jason fox will be a good RT when given the chance. The only real grip you may have is taking best with known concussions. Just to enlighten you trades are just as good as draft picks! Plus we have this yr yet to evaluate, Bentley will be solid, Rieff will be solid, Broyles is solid, and Greenwood in a yr or two could be the steal of the draft and shutdown corner we need. My one complain i would have is actually not taking J. Jenkins over rieff or at least trading back up to get him.
    So many problems with what you just said....

1. You just said "Pettirgrew drops a few balls".....Pettirgrew leads all TE in the NFL in fumbles this season. You also said he is "a pro-bowl" calibur TE, he has played enough seasons to get to the pro-bowl so you really can't say that until he actually makes one at this point.

2. You say Jason Fox is "solid"......The kid is always hurt!! And when he isn't, he doesn't play!! What are you basing that from?

3. Delmas is not a pro-bowl calibur safety for the same reason as Pettigrew. He hasn't made one!! By the way, in about 30 days from now, he maybe playing his last game in DET. Glad you feel as if you got your money's worth on him, but I don't. I think he OWES it to DET to agree to an extension for sitting on the sidelines and collecting a paycheck the past two seasons.

I will agree, Willie Young was a good pickup. But even in mid-late rounds he makes dumb decisions. Amari Spivey (3rd round) sucks, Johnny Culbreath turned out to be a talentless pothead, Doug Houge (5th round) is already gone not even two seasons later.

Fast forward to this past draft.....a 4th AND a 5th round pick to a division rival (Minnesota) for Tahir Whitehead!! I have heard his name bout' twice all season and we handed the Vikes a 4th round pick in the 2013 to draft him.....stupid!!

I am optimistic on Greenwood but I need to actually see something on the field before I get all hyped up bout anybody.

vCash

So just so I have your argument straight...it's Mayhew's fault if a pick is bad, but if a pick worked out it's not because of Mayhew?

There's no logic in your argument.
    Great American Baseball Tour: Brewers, Twins, Cubs, White Sox, Cardinals, Royals ,Cleveland, Detroit and Reds

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by madhador View Post
    So just so I have your argument straight...it's Mayhew's fault if a pick is bad, but if a pick worked out it's not because of Mayhew?

There's no logic in your argument.
    My argument is simple......

The two picks in the Mayhew era that were solid (Stafford & Suh) any ******* would have made the same picks......including you and I.

The 2nd round picks have all been bad because he actually has to WORK and APPLY HIS SKILLS to evaluate and make the right decisions.

vCash

it's hard to argue this. I'm a HUGE mayhew advocate, but what has he done lately? Great teams draft well enough to keep them in contention year in and year out. I can't say we have done that. Mayhew made trades and wheeled and dealed to get quality back ups for depth. It seems like his reputation of "mayhewing" other teams has caught up with him. NO one wants to deal with him.

rumors circulating of MM dealing multiple high picks to draft patrick peterson are great, but they are just that, rumors. Nothing tangible has been produced.

He needs a stellar draft this off season, otherwise he may be nothing than a small time wonder.

My AAL 2015 ProBowler: DeAndre Levy #54 132 tackles / 2.5 sacks / 1 safety / 1 amazing int
    click here to join the Lions Forum
    Lions Forum: 5 Time OTT Winner#1,#6,#10,#12 & #14
    2014 PSD MOD SURVIVAL GAME WINNER!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by GuySir View Post
    Lffs is the master at going from goofball to boss

vCash
    I understand injuries can be bad luck but most GMs realize guys with major injuries in college have a higher likelihood of sustaining injuries in the NFL. Not even just that but he got hung up on flashy picks and didn't take solid players that could help the team.

The Lions have done horrible in the 2nd pick range. Stuff in the late 1st and early second round tends to fail. Make a correction.
    #packerbacker

vCash
    its not the same knee, how on earth is that mayhews fault?

67 Rec - 1038 Yards -6 TD

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by driz View Post
    So then he's just the product of REALLY bad luck...time...and time...and time...again.
    This is hyperbole and any rational argument would debase the irrational hate you have for Mayhew. I don't think Mayhew is an amazing GM, about high middle/middle of the pack, but there isn't an argument in the world that will debase your irrational hate for him.

Guy builds a team from zero to playoffs in three years...yep, worst GM ever. Makes a ton of sense to me.
    Great American Baseball Tour: Brewers, Twins, Cubs, White Sox, Cardinals, Royals ,Cleveland, Detroit and Reds

vCash
    And most decent-good GMs land players in the middle rounds who wind up working out and being good, solid players on their respective teams. We haven't hit this pay dirt with Mayhew yet that I can recall.

Couple that with how many less than impressive first/second round picks. What am I supposed to be applauding from a draft perspective here??? Not saying anything about trades. Or FA signings. Just drafting. He has been less than stellar...reminds me quite a bit of Joe Dumars drafting. He had a few guys fall to him that were no-brainers, and outside of that he's fallen flat. (Except this season for Joe D...I link Singler and English)

Scrap Detroit!!

Quote Originally Posted by basch152 View Post
    First of all, players like Matthews and Ware actually ARE overrated...

No, the best comparison to Miggy is Albert Pujols. And I'll be honest, Cabrera doesn't really compare favorably to Pujols.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by driz View Post
    And most decent-good GMs land players in the middle rounds who wind up working out and being good, solid players on their respective teams. We haven't hit this pay dirt with Mayhew yet that I can recall.

Couple that with how many less than impressive first/second round picks. What am I supposed to be applauding from a draft perspective here??? Not saying anything about trades. Or FA signings. Just drafting. He has been less than stellar...reminds me quite a bit of Joe Dumars drafting. He had a few guys fall to him that were no-brainers, and outside of that he's fallen flat. (Except this season for Joe D...I link Singler and English)
    Everyone should listen to driz more often......99% of his posts make perfect sense.

Mainly because they are OBJECTIVE and non-biosed. I couldn't have made a better comparison than the Joe D analogy!!

vCash
    The other 1% involve bacon thongs.

Scrap Detroit!!

No, the best comparison to Miggy is Albert Pujols. And I'll be honest, Cabrera doesn't really compare favorably to Pujols.

vCash
    How does discussion regarding Mayhew's draft strategy NOT relate to Broyles?

Scrap Detroit!!

vCash
    Mayhew has been over rated by the press and the fans. If you are going to rebuild a team, he had the best possible scenario. A franchise QB and DT fell in his lap. He needs to do more than bring them in and inherit Calvin to be considered good.
    #packerbacker

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast