Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Indians Had Framework For Asdrubal Cabrera Deal

By Steve Adams [December 4, 2012 at 3:09am CST]

There's arguably no better shortstop available via free agency or trade than Asdrubal Cabrera, and the Indians' asking price reflects that reality. Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain-Dealer writes that the Tribe is looking to get three-to-four prospects in exchange for their 27-year-old shortstop -- preferably four.

According to Hoynes, the Indians had the framework of a deal in place that would have sent a Major League pitcher and two high-level prospects to Cleveland in return for Cabrera. That trade fell through when Cleveland asked that a third prospect be included in the package. Hoynes notes that the potential acquiring team would have switched Cabrera's position, for those who would like to play the speculation game.

Cabrera has two years and a total of $16.5MM remaining on his contract. Over the past two seasons, Cabrera has batted .272/.335/.443 with 41 home runs and 26 stolen bases.

In addition to Cabrera, Justin Masterson, Chris Perez and Shin-Soo Choo are drawing interest. The asking price on Perez is substantially lower than Cabrera's, one scout told Hoynes. Like Cabrera, Perez has two years of team control left. He's arbitration eligible for the third time as a Super Two player this offseason, and Matt Swartz has him projected at $7.2MM.

Hoynes notes that the Padres have called regarding both Justin Masterson and Ubaldo Jimenez. Masterson can become a free agent after the 2014 season and is projected to earn $5.7MM in arbitration this season. The Indians picked up Jimenez's $5.75MM option this offseason despite a dreadful season and drastically reduced fastball velocity. The Padres are likely attracted to Jimenez's durability and hopeful that a return to the NL West can help restore his numbers.

Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/1...v4M7mp5P7wdXxs.
    Looks they are seeking 4 players for Cabrera. Interesting that they ARE shopping him and almost had a deal done!
    A major league ready starting pitcher and three top prospects

vCash
    I am wondering who that team would have been, that they would have changed his position.

Doubt the Cardinals. No idea who fits this profile. The main reason to land Cabrera, is to keep him at shortstop lol.

And he isn't worth 4 prospects.

vCash
    Maybe the blue Jays were the team. Cabrera would have moved to second. Possibly

vCash
    There had been a lot of chatter in the Cubs forum from a few local beat writers and our two resident guys with information that we had been talking to Cleveland, but I have a feeling it wasn't about Asdrubel Cabrera. Although, we do need a 3b pretty bad....
    #WhyNot?

People ask me, "Why here? Why Kentucky?", I said "Why not"? It can be done here. It will be done here. Lay the foundation. Recruit and develop. Prepare to win. Day by day. Play by play. A new era of high performance. Why Kentucky? Why not? -Mark Stoops

vCash

Indians Had Framework For Asdrubal Cabrera Deal

Yankees maybe now that they lost A-Rod?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    I could have seen that one.
    #WhyNot?

People ask me, "Why here? Why Kentucky?", I said "Why not"? It can be done here. It will be done here. Lay the foundation. Recruit and develop. Prepare to win. Day by day. Play by play. A new era of high performance. Why Kentucky? Why not? -Mark Stoops

vCash
    He's sooooooo not worth a starting pitcher and 3 good prospects. Solid player but they're trying to rip some team off (as they should be).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Norieaga View Post
    He's sooooooo not worth a starting pitcher and 3 good prospects. Solid player but they're trying to rip some team off (as they should be).
    Well it just said "high level". Depends on the team and the system. In a weak system, 2-high level prospects could have been fairly bland. Or the starter could have been bland.
    #WhyNot?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    i doubt they have the resources they would be willing to part with to get him thought
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    Well it just said "high level". Depends on the team and the system. In a weak system, 2-high level prospects could have been fairly bland. Or the starter could have been bland.
    I would agree the price might be a bit high if you are moving him to 3rd base because his bat would not be that great for a 3rd baseman. If however the report that the team was going to move him was false I dont think it is that high. Cabrera has a pretty good bat for a shortstop, decent speed and range, and his isnt too shaby defensively. He is also on the right side of 30 and is under control through 2014 for an average of 8.25 million

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sheps88 View Post
    Maybe the blue Jays were the team. Cabrera would have moved to second. Possibly
    That'd be a bit ridiculous

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    I mean, it could have been a team like the Tigers or White Sox

Where the pitcher is Porcello or Floyd and two bland specs.

Of course, that's assuming an inter-division trade of course.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post

I thought Detroit until that part about changing his position. If Detroit was giving up 3/4 players, it'd be to put him at SS.
    #teamboom4life

MLB: Tigers
    NFL: Lions
    NHL: Red Wings
    CFB(Div I): Michigan
    CFB(Div II): Hillsdale

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post

Doesn't high level specs just mean that they want guys from AA and above? High level IMO doesn't mean high quality.

vCash
    could of been the Phillies...they love that mystery team ********. Oh and they need a third baseman as well

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast