Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    Salty is actually IMO a negative player - steaky hitter, meh OBP, terrible pitcher handler. The latest I read is that Barnes is going to be slipped to the #4 SP among our specs.

We could trade for Cabrera if you want to give up 50% more.
    Where did you read that? Pretty much every major prospect guru has Barnes as our #1 pitcher, and either #2 or #3 in the system. I like Webster better, but the only major prospect person I have seen rate him higher than Barnes is Keith Law. De La Rosa burned his prospect label already, so the only other pitcher in our system that I can see ranked higher than Barnes is Owens, which would make that list lose all credibility in my opinion.

Barnes is a boom or bust guy, but I just don't feel comfortable dealing young high upside arms without getting a pitcher in return.

vCash
    Please show that source with Barnes. Gotta call bull until I see that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Station 13 View Post
    What an overpay.
    I have never, not one time, seen you say something positive or non contrarian.

Also, your #swag thing is as queer as a football bat.
    Here's to feeling good all the time.

vCash
    alexspeier Confirmed the #redsox 3 yr, $37.5M offer to Victorino. A look at why the Sox are targeting him as a fit for 3 yrs http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/th...ffer-victorino

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    Salty is actually IMO a negative player - steaky hitter, meh OBP, terrible pitcher handler. The latest I read is that Barnes is going to be slipped to the #4 SP among our specs.

We could trade for Cabrera if you want to give up 50% more.
    How about...neither (for your proposed deals)?

Barnes is nowhere near rated as #4 pitching prospect, not even Webster is officially ahead of him.

vCash
    I'll forgive this signing if we land Brian Wilson. I want him, just for the LOL's.

vCash
    at least SV doesn't cost a draft pick!

Victorino, who turned 32 last week, hit .255/.321/.383/.704 with 11 homers and 39 steals in 45 attempts for the Phillies and (after a mid-year trade) Dodgers in 2012. That represented the worst full season of his big league career, down from a career line of .275/.341/.430/.770. Victorino fits the profile that the team seeks of an above-average defensive outfielder capable of playing both right and center at Fenway Park, potentially addressing a position of need (right) in the Sox outfield while also giving the team its hoped-for insurance for either Jacoby Ellsbury in 2013 or, in all likelihood, Jackie Bradley Jr. in the following two seasons. He would also allow the team to be patient with outfield prospect Bryce Brentz.

Still, while Victorino is a switch-hitter and thus, in theory, could give the Sox some left-right lineup balance, he struggled badly against right-handed pitchers in 2012 (hitting .229/.296/.333/.629 against righties, and eventually trying to bat right-handed against right-handed pitchers), compared to excellent marks against lefties (.323/.388/.518/.906).

That is in keeping with Victorino's career trends. Against lefties, he's a career .301/.373/.508/.881 hitter, while against righties, he has a .267/.330/.402/.732 line.

Still, his defense and speed on the bases give him value even if the 2012 season represented something other than an aberration. Moreover, he would not cost the Red Sox a draft pick, as he was ineligible for a one-year qualifying offer from the Dodgers after having been traded mid-year.

If the Sox can land Victorino, they would have added two outfielders (Victorino, Jonny Gomes), a first baseman (and potentially catcher) in Mike Napoli and another catcher in David Ross without sacrificing any prospects or draft picks. That, in turn, would follow the team's stated desire to build a competitive team for 2013 without sacrificing its longer-term ambitions.
    Yo Soy Fiesta

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Soxfan85 View Post
    alexspeier Confirmed the #redsox 3 yr, $37.5M offer to Victorino. A look at why the Sox are targeting him as a fit for 3 yrs http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/th...ffer-victorino
    Does anyone see the trend of Ben being reluctant to give up a draft pick? First Napoli, now Victorino.
    Again, the money isn't the overpayment, IF he's in CF. The years are the issue here.
    It comes down to Ells getting moved. We need the parts that can be acquired via Ells-trade more than a CF-RF combo of JE and SV

vCash
    Overpayment. Hopefully he can bat .275. And hopefully Ells is going to be traded soon. Should be interesting.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SirHizz View Post
    Does anyone see the trend of Ben being reluctant to give up a draft pick? First Napoli, now Victorino.
    Again, the money isn't the overpayment, IF he's in CF. The years are the issue here.
    It comes down to Ells getting moved. We need the parts that can be acquired via Ells-trade more than a CF-RF combo of JE and SV
    Napoli no pick because he was NOT offered an offer

vCash
    If Victorino's range helped him become a great fielding RF for us then his defense may offset his offense playing down at a corner OF position.

How is his arm? Is it good enough for RF?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Soxfan85 View Post
    Napoli no pick because he was NOT offered an offer
    That's what I said. With the Victorino signing, we're probably done with FA's (spare relievers). Trade-route next...

vCash
    @alexspeier
    Sox have agreed with Victorino on 3yr deal

vCash
    The Red Sox remodeling project continued today, as they agreed to terms with Shane Victorino on a three-year, $37.5MM contract. The 32-year-old, a client of John Boggs & Associates, slipped this year to a .255/.321/.383 line for the Phillies and Dodgers, but still did well in free agency. Victorino will play right field for the Red Sox, who previously signed Mike Napoli to play mostly first base, Jonny Gomes to play left field, and David Ross to help behind the plate.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomar View Post
    How is his arm? Is it good enough for RF?
    From what I've read, yes, it is.

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast