Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jomota48 View Post
    You're very generous with other people's $$$$.

Do you realize the risk involved here? The Wilnotpons give a 37 year old $45 million and he hurts himself in year 1. How did that deal work out. Dickey has zero risk.

Just curious…how many 37 year olds sign $45 million three year deals????

And don't give me that baloney that a knuckleballer is different.
    You know, 37 years old isn't THAT old when it comes down to things. A person in top physical shape with little wear on his body can be incredibly healthy at 37 years old. They might slow down a bit and take a bit longer to recover, but people don't instantly become fragile creatures once they hit their late 30s. You're talking as if Dickey has been pitching 200 innings for 13 seasons.

vCash
    Dickey is an easy guy to like.

“Ninety percent I’ll spend on good times, women, and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent I’ll probably waste.”
    - Tug McGraw, on his plans for his $75,000 salary

vCash
    Phil Niekro won 120 games after the age of 40.
    I did not know that.

“Ninety percent I’ll spend on good times, women, and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent I’ll probably waste.”

vCash
    Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS
    Still a big gap in ra dickey contract talks: mets offering about $20M for 2 year extension, he's asking $30M for 2.

vCash
    Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal
    #Mets and Dickey in staredown. Mets want two-year deal at their number. Seems trifling, considering money getting thrown around at meetings.

Wilpon's being cheap again.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clayamtion View Post
    Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal
    #Mets and Dickey in staredown. Mets want two-year deal at their number. Seems trifling, considering money getting thrown around at meetings.

Wilpon's being cheap again.
    shocking. If they won't go three years give the man 30/2.

I think him getting dealt is getting more likely by the minute.

vCash

Dickey seeking 3-yrs, $45M, agent wouldn’t be surprised if he’s traded

Lolmets

vCash
    Phil Niekro won 120 games after the age of 40.
    I did not know that.
    And probably lost over 100.

vCash
    If they are trying to trade him why would the Mets agree to his terms? Wouldn't that be counter productive?

vCash
    They just spent money on Wright, and are looking towards the future. If trading Dickey allows the Mets get younger with more diverse talent shouldn't you be for it.
    And do you really think they are going to land the talent to help this team moving forward by trading a Cy Young winner? Let's not fool ourselves and think the Mets will get lucky like they did with the Giants with Wheeler. Nobody is willing to pay 15 million a year over 3 years and trade a top prospect for a 38 year old.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NY_Heartbreak View Post
    By appearances, 32 starts is a solid year for a starting pitcher. 100 starts in 3 years is about the most you'll get. Your paying Dickey to pitch. Starting pitchers cannot score runs while pitching. Even if Dickey allows 0 runs in 230 IP, he may not even have one win to show for it.
    Why do people keep talking about how many wins Dickey might have? I thought it was universally accepted that wins are not an appropriate representation of a pitcher's value or effectiveness.
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metsbulls1025 View Post
    If they are trying to trade him why would the Mets agree to his terms? Wouldn't that be counter productive?
    I agree with you in part.

While the Mets are aggressively trying to trade Dickey, there's absolutely no rush to sign him to a contract. If they don't trade him by the end of the year, then I do think there is some pressure.

But, Dickey isn't asking for anything unreasonable. The supposed terms would be very appealing to other teams, imo.
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    Why do people keep talking about how many wins Dickey might have? I thought it was universally accepted that wins are not an appropriate representation of a pitcher's value or effectiveness.
    Uh, yeah. That's what I was saying. Jo was talking about wins, I was arguing against wins.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

vCash
    Wins are as irrelevant to the value of a pitcher as RBIS are to the value of a hitter.
    Last edited by metswon69; 12-05-2012 at 05:52 PM.

vCash
    Sigh, read the other comments before posting. That is all.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast