Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
    vCash
    They will hopefully get something done in a trade or in an extension. Because honestly, this is giving the Mets brass a TERRIBLE rep.

I think the problem isn't that the Mets can't afford it. They are more than willing to offer what he wants and what is fair. I think it's the fact that once they offer it, they will not be able to deal him.

They still want to keep the option of dealing him available. Because they know that although Dickey is great, 2-4 guys would be much more beneficial to this team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vtmet View Post
    he's right...Dude is one of the best pitchers in baseball right now...this is his last chance to get his family set for life, and the Mets are offering him peanuts compared to his market value...he probably wishes that he never had an "option" on the 2 year deal that he signed, because crappy guys are getting $13 Mil per season this offseason...
    His family is set for life regardless of whatever the amount on the next contract. The only thing that can prevent his family from being "set for life" is him dropping dead or taking a cab ride with Duaner Sanchez before he signs whatever it is he signs.

I wonder if some of the fans realize how much money $10 million a year is. A guy making $100 grand a year would take 100 years to make $10 million. I have no idea what the market value is for a 38 year old pitcher so I have no idea what to expect. I only know that I am not feeling bad for the guy.

And isn't the fact that no one is willing to pay the Mets price a good indication that Dickey's age is more than just a minor issue.

I'm more concerned with the price of gas than Dickey's contract. That has a real effect on me.

vCash
    If its so public that he'll walk after next season the Mets would most likely deal him at the deadline.

Even with no compensation picks to the team dealing for him, someone will want RA Dickey (especially if he pitches similarly to last year)

But if they are only 6 million apart over 3 years, i don't see how they can't reach an agreement.

It's not like they are 12-15 million apart where i would say goodbye Dickey.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jomota48 View Post
    His family is set for life regardless of whatever the amount on the next contract. The only thing that can prevent his family from being "set for life" is him dropping dead or taking a cab ride with Duaner Sanchez before he signs whatever it is he signs.

I wonder if some of the fans realize how much money $10 million a year is. A guy making $100 grand a year would take 100 years to make $10 million. I have no idea what the market value is for a 38 year old pitcher so I have no idea what to expect. I only know that I am not feeling bad for the guy.

And isn't the fact that no one is willing to pay the Mets price a good indication that Dickey's age is more than just a minor issue.

I'm more concerned with the price of gas than Dickey's contract. That has a real effect on me.
    The average worker in the US makes a total of $2-3 million during his lifetime.
    John Maeda@johnmaeda

Knowing the overall *shape* of an idea, argument, situation requires as many facts, models, opinions as you can take/make to see a whole.

vCash

Very good. Now can we get rid of our straw men and come back to reality?

We're talking about the best pitcher in the NL this past season who has been among baseball's best pitchers for the last 3 seasons. You don't compare him to a worker making $100,000 a year. You compare him to what other major leaguers are earning.

Angel Pagan was signed for more than what the Mets are offering the best pitcher in the National League. Need anything else be said?

It's not a matter of feeling bad for him. That's not the point. The point is he is being lowballed something serious by his present owners who are basically telling him not to let the door hit his butt on the way out.

I'm not going to get into the whole debate about whether it is better to sign him or trade him. There are merits to both arguments and it all depends on what they can get for him. But either you choose to sign him or you don't. Making a ridiculously low offer serves no purpose whatsoever.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash

Pettite is 40 years old, pitched 12 games last season and signed a one year 12 million dollar deal and he isn't coming off a Cy Young campaign. I keep hearing what the market is for certain type of players well I am going to guess the market for older pitchers who can't make it through an entire season healthy is 12 million a year so Dickey should be getting way more than 12 million a season for two years.

vCash
    #oneatatime

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Very good. Now can we get rid of our straw men and come back to reality?

We're talking about the best pitcher in the NL this past season who has been among baseball's best pitchers for the last 3 seasons. You don't compare him to a worker making $100,000 a year. You compare him to what other major leaguers are earning.

Angel Pagan was signed for more than what the Mets are offering the best pitcher in the National League. Need anything else be said?

It's not a matter of feeling bad for him. That's not the point. The point is he is being lowballed something serious by his present owners who are basically telling him not to let the door hit his butt on the way out.

I'm not going to get into the whole debate about whether it is better to sign him or trade him. There are merits to both arguments and it all depends on what they can get for him. But either you choose to sign him or you don't. Making a ridiculously low offer serves no purpose whatsoever.
    I'm not comparing him to anybody or any other profession. I'm pointing out that the guy is on the cusp of making an astonishing amount of $$$$ regardless of how it plays out and people are talking about setting his family up for life.

Josh Thole probably has his family set up for life.

Dickey should get as much as he thinks he is worth, all he can get. The Mets may think he is only worth $10 million a year…still a huge amount of $$$$. I just don't feel bad for the guy regardless of what he does. The Wilnotpons are taking all the risks here and I can understand their caution. Dickey does 5-10 with a lousy ERA and he still gets paid. Plus the age factor. Dickey is taking no risk.

Listening to fans say give him another $5 million of $$$$ that is not theirs is laughable.

I hope he stays, but if he goes, he goes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rpagz3 View Post
    Nah, he deserves what the Mets want to spend on him.

vCash
    I'm not comparing him to anybody or any other profession. I'm pointing out that the guy is on the cusp of making an astonishing amount of $$$$ regardless of how it plays out and people are talking about setting his family up for life.

Josh Thole probably has his family set up for life.

Dickey should get as much as he thinks he is worth, all he can get. The Mets may think he is only worth $10 million a year…still a huge amount of $$$$. I just don't feel bad for the guy regardless of what he does. The Wilnotpons are taking all the risks here and I can understand their caution. Dickey does 5-10 with a lousy ERA and he still gets paid. Plus the age factor. Dickey is taking no risk.

Listening to fans say give him another $5 million of $$$$ that is not theirs is laughable.

I hope he stays, but if he goes, he goes.
    We shouldnt feel bad for any of these guys. To them it's all monopoly money.

The issue is what's fair and appropriate and what isn't. Based on current market value, offering him 20 mill over 2 is an insult. Of course, if they were to make the same contribution to the FoC retirement fund, the Bishop would accept it as the greatest and most gracious of all compliments.

Sigh.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    Originally Posted by rpagz3
    http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index...ne-great-year/

Pay the man; the ace.

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    Nah, he deserves what the Mets want to spend on him.
    Incredible how so many people don't seem to understand Dickey has been one of baseball's best pitchers not since last year but since May 2010, ever since he mastered his knuckler.

It was one thing when i heard these comments back in 2010. They started becoming annoying in 2011. Now, it's downright ludicrous.

Just because the man throws a knuckler doesnt mean he deserves to be baseball's answer to the late Rodney Dangerfield.

vCash
    It's ridiculous they won't give Dickey what he is worth.
    Last edited by metswon69; 12-11-2012 at 10:07 PM.

vCash
    Your sarcasm meter must be off.

vCash
    Dickey made $5 million last year. Now he wants a $10 million increase.

They finished 4th and will probably finish 4th or 5th again.

He will only pitch 15 times at home. How many more fans need to come into the park to offset Dickey's $10 million raise????

They are not looking to lose $$$$. If they were drawing fans with more expected, they may look at it differently.

As everyone keeps pointing out…it's a business.

I hope we work something out, but he is an expensive commodity.

vCash
    Dickey made $5 million last year. Now he wants a $10 million increase.

They finished 4th and will probably finish 4th or 5th again.

He will only pitch 15 times at home. How many more fans need to come into the park to offset Dickey's $10 million raise????

They are not looking to lose $$$$. If they were drawing fans with more expected, they may look at it differently.

As everyone keeps pointing out…it's a business.

I hope we work something out, but he is an expensive commodity.
    Dickey has all the leverage coming off a Cy Young season, but 3yrs/31 million like has been reported is not unreasonable.

That's only (i know its hard to say "only" but in the context of baseball it's different) a 5 million dollar a year raise. He deserves that the way he has pitched the last 3 years.

Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast