Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BradHolt4CYoung View Post
    Wieters is far from great....his bat is decent at best
    "great" might have been an exaggeration but...he's a little better than "decent at best"...

His MLB rankings at catcher, over the past 2 seasons (according to fangraphs):
    He's the #1 defensive catcher;
    He's 4th overall in terms of WAR;
    Tied for 2nd overall in Homeruns;
    He's 3rd in RBI;
    He's 2nd in runs scored;
    He's 4th in hits;

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.asp...rs=0&sort=19,d

you can say that some of those numbers are only because he's played more than some other catchers, but that's part of being a catcher, playing as often as you can despite all the injuries that you have to play through...
    Last edited by vtmet; 12-11-2012 at 11:57 AM.

vCash
    Mets, R.A. Dickey resume talks

NEW YORK -- Reigning NL Cy Young winner R.A. Dickey says if the New York Mets choose to bring him back next season solely on the remaining year of his contract, he almost certainly is a goner next winter as a free agent.

The knuckleballer also insisted during a holiday party for schoolchildren affected by Hurricane Sandy at Citi Field that he is asking for a far-below-market-value extension on top of the club's 2013 obligation, so he is disheartened by the slow pace of negotiations.

"It's hard," Dickey said. "When people say it's business, it's not personal, well that just means it's not personal for them. I'm hoping it ends up in a good place, but also in the back of your mind you think it may not. That's sad."
    Sources told ESPN.com that the Mets are prepared to offer Dickey two years at $20 million on top of the $5 million owed in 2013. Dickey seeks a combined $26 million to $28 million for 2014 and '15, sources added.

"In the context of the market, you want what you think is fair," Dickey said.
    "& I feel like we're asking for less than what's fair because that's how it's been for me. There is a surprise sometimes when things don't get done quickly and you already think you're extending the olive branch. At the same time, they have a budget they have to adhere to. I don't know those numbers. And I try not to take it personally."

The Mets have three options: trade Dickey, sign him to an extension, or let him enter 2013 in the final year of his current contract. Both sides have said Dickey playing out next season without an extension is the least attractive option, but a plausible option nonetheless.

Dickey laid down the gauntlet on that option Tuesday, saying he likely would depart as a free agent if the Mets chose to have him pitch next season without an extension.

"If that's the decision they feel like is best for the club, and that's the decision that they make, I feel like it would be unfortunate, because it probably is going to mean I'm not going to be back (in 2014)," Dickey said.
    The knuckleballer reiterated he will not negotiate during the 2013 season.

"I'm so close to free agency, and I don't want any distractions," Dickey said.
    General manager Sandy Alderson said there could be a resolution shortly, since the market for free-agent pitchers is thinning and trade routes are becoming clearer.

"Things are ongoing," Alderson said. "We continue to talk to R.A., and specifically his agent, and there's some progress being made there. Obviously, at the same time, we'll talk to some other clubs and keep R.A. to some extent apprised of those conversations. We're in a similar place today to where we were last week. But the surrounding circumstances have changed somewhat. So I hope we'll have more clarity in a few days. In the meantime, we're more or less status quo."

Said Dickey: "We are progressing, albeit slowly, hopefully on an extension. So that's happening. So I don't know if I can tell you one way or the other. & I feel a real connection to this place. At the same time, you don't want to be taken advantage of. So that's where we kind of are."
    http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/stor...dickey-sources

“Ninety percent I’ll spend on good times, women, and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent I’ll probably waste.”
    - Tug McGraw, on his plans for his $75,000 salary

vCash
    Tear up the current contract and make it 3 yrs 30 mill. Even that will be a bargain!
    " You seek Yoda!

vCash
    Actually there is an option year that makes the title deal worth 35 million over 3 years.

vCash
    This quote doesn't sound like Dickey is willing to lower his demands now or ever.

“I feel like what we’re asking for is less than what it is fair,” Dickey said today.

Sounds like he feels he's already giving the Mets a hometown discount, time for the Mets to move on, and trade him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Metsfan1963 View Post
    This quote doesn't sound like Dickey is willing to lower his demands now or ever.

“I feel like what we’re asking for is less than what it is fair,” Dickey said today.

Sounds like he feels he's already giving the Mets a hometown discount, time for the Mets to move on, and trade him.
    I believe they will sign him if the right deal does not present itself.
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Metsfan1963 View Post

he's right...Dude is one of the best pitchers in baseball right now...this is his last chance to get his family set for life, and the Mets are offering him peanuts compared to his market value...he probably wishes that he never had an "option" on the 2 year deal that he signed, because crappy guys are getting $13 Mil per season this offseason...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vtmet View Post
    he's right...Dude is one of the best pitchers in baseball right now...this is his last chance to get his family set for life, and the Mets are offering him peanuts compared to his market value...he probably wishes that he never had an "option" on the 2 year deal that he signed, because crappy guys are getting $13 Mil per season this offseason...
    I agree he right, and if the rumors of his demands are true (two more years $26 million) he more than deserves it.

vCash
    Geezus H F-ing Chryst!

The man has pitched his heart out for us for nearly the last 3 seasons. He seems to keep getting better as he goes along. And of course there is that matter of the Cy Young Award, an award not even Cy Young himself ever won (laugh.)

And for all RA's efforts and achievements, taking into consideration the going rate for top starting pitchers in today's game, what did the Mets think to offer him?

Three years, $25 million, or roughly the same that they paid Luis Castillo a few years ago?

Are they f-ing kidding me? Seriously?

Geez.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    Resign Dickey and go out and get Bourn and Anibal Sanchez and I think this team can compete.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Geezus H F-ing Chryst!

The man has pitched his heart out for us for nearly the last 3 seasons. He seems to keep getting better as he goes along. And of course there is that matter of the Cy Young Award, an award not even Cy Young himself ever won (laugh.)

And for all RA's efforts and achievements, taking into consideration the going rate for top starting pitchers in today's game, what did the Mets think to offer him?

Three years, $25 million, or roughly the same that they paid Luis Castillo a few years ago?

Are they f-ing kidding me? Seriously?

Geez.
    All he is asking for is 3 years for $31 million. Its more than fair lol. The Mets have to get this done. If they don't, and they don't trade him either...they can go to ****in hell and burn there.

The Wilpons are trolling us all and Sandy Alderson is delivering the message to us.

Get a deal done damnit. We are talking about 2 freakin million dollars a year for just 3 years in the grand scheme of things. This is a joke if they don't get it done.

I understand them not spending a ton of money this offseason. There just isn't much out there and it may just be wise to not spend if nothing is really out there and nothing is really a good fit, but botching this would be inexcusable. What Dickey is asking for is less than what he should be asking for, the Mets know it, and if they screw this up...I will be pissed beyond belief.
    Last edited by Wrigheyes4MVP; 12-11-2012 at 03:59 PM.
    DUDA

Quote Originally Posted by VendettaRed07 View Post
    noah is gonna be a beast man.

with him and harvey, its like were gonna have Goku and Vegetta in the same rotation

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The-rock-man View Post
    Tear up the current contract and make it 3 yrs 30 mill. Even that will be a bargain!
    That is what he is basically asking for.

He is willing to sign for 2 years 26 mil on top of the 5 mil for this year.

Dickey shouldn't lower his demands any more than that.

The ball is in the Mets court. If they **** this up it will be inexcusable.

If they really don't want to pay Dickey that money, then at least trade him for Olt straight up. I don't want that deal. I want more than just Olt. But, if they are not going to extend him, then they better get something out of it.
    DUDA

Quote Originally Posted by VendettaRed07 View Post
    noah is gonna be a beast man.

with him and harvey, its like were gonna have Goku and Vegetta in the same rotation

vCash
    McCulloughSL At what point does Dickey say: "Forget this, I'll play out my option and make $50M on the open market next year." Maybe like mid-January?

“Ninety percent I’ll spend on good times, women, and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent I’ll probably waste.”
    - Tug McGraw, on his plans for his $75,000 salary

vCash
    We really need to trade Dickey. I love the guy, but honestly I do not see us competing for a WS in the next 2 or even 3 yrs. Resigning him and keeping him over that time I really believe will be a waste, when it's said that we have at least a couple offers that include a top prospect. If the best we can get is someone like Olt plus 1 or 2 lower level prospects, eventually we have to take that deal. Why resign him, still not win anything during his extension, and we could have gotten at least 1 prospect that could be pretty damn good for us for the next 6+ yrs.

vCash
    Nvm..
    Last edited by metswon69; 12-11-2012 at 06:16 PM.

Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast