Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clayamtion View Post
    NYPost_Mets: Misprint in Mets press release. Dickey going to dress as a "Pelf" tomorrow ... will wear #34 and surrender long homer.

Only the Mets.
    Too funny.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clayamtion View Post
    I think, D'Arnaud will eventually become a Matt Wieter type of player. Nothing wrong with that, solid backstop.

Where I see Olt becoming more of an Alex Gordon type of player eventually.

Both deals hinge on the 2nd component, the CFers. And from my perspective Martin will be a better everyday CFer than Gose.
    D'Arnaud is nowhere near the hitter Wieters was at the same age, and look where Weiters is now. How the mighty have fallen. Honestly, I think Arencibia can give us very close to Wieters numbers. I'd back off the demand for D'Arnaud and accept a package of Arencibia, Gose, and Emilio Bonifacio. If I could get them to include Syndergaard, I'd add a prospect or two to make the deal work.

I don't agree with the Alex Gordon analogy for Olt. He has more pop than Gordon but he isn't the pure hitter that Gordon is. I like the Willingham comparison, but I think he will mature into a better player than Willingham.

I do agree that the CFs are the essential element of either deal. The thing is that, with Toronto, Bonifacio could play a very credible CF while Gose gets some more seasoning in the minors. On the other hand, I really like Martin alot, maybe even more than Olt in the long run.

So, on balance, I guess I'll take Olt & Martin from Texas before I would take Arencibia, Gose and Bonifacio from the Jays.
    Former B'klyn Dodger fan. Mets Maniac since 1962.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dunbummin View Post
    D'Arnaud is nowhere near the hitter Wieters was at the same age, and look where Weiters is now. How the mighty have fallen. Honestly, I think Arencibia can give us very close to Wieters numbers. I'd back off the demand for D'Arnaud and accept a package of Arencibia, Gose, and Emilio Bonifacio. If I could get them to include Syndergaard, I'd add a prospect or two to make the deal work.

I don't agree with the Alex Gordon analogy for Olt. He has more pop than Gordon but he isn't the pure hitter that Gordon is. I like the Willingham comparison, but I think he will mature into a better player than Willingham.

I do agree that the CFs are the essential element of either deal. The thing is that, with Toronto, Bonifacio could play a very credible CF while Gose gets some more seasoning in the minors. On the other hand, I really like Martin alot, maybe even more than Olt in the long run.

So, on balance, I guess I'll take Olt & Martin from Texas before I would take Arencibia, Gose and Bonifacio from the Jays.
    I think that Wieters is still great. I'd take him any day of the week if I can. He has so much talent

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kyubi256 View Post
    I think that Wieters is still great. I'd take him any day of the week if I can. He has so much talent
    Me too. But we're not getting Wieters, so we need pursue the achievable. Arencibia isn't a bad option. Is he what I would ideally want? No. I'd probably look at other possibilities before seeking out the deal with Toronto. But Arencibia is known to be avalable, and he shouldn't cost us too much.

vCash
    ^No what I'm saying is I'd take D'Arnaud if he is like Wieters. Wieters is great...

vCash
    Wieters is far from great....his bat is decent at best

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BradHolt4CYoung View Post
    Wieters is far from great....his bat is decent at best
    Matt Wieters: Pre 2009 - #1 prospect in all baseball, career minor league .343/.438/.576/1.014 with 102 BB and 106 K

Does this say anything about the risks of trading Dickey for a Wil Myers, Travis D'Arnaud or Mike Olt straight up?

Sandy, hold the line and only trade Dickey for a package of high probability difference makers or extend him and keep him in the rotation for the next 3 years.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dunbummin View Post
    Matt Wieters: Pre 2009 - #1 prospect in all baseball, career minor league .343/.438/.576/1.014 with 102 BB and 106 K

Does this say anything about the risks of trading Dickey for a Wil Myers, Travis D'Arnaud or Mike Olt straight up?

Sandy, hold the line and only trade Dickey for a package of high probability difference makers or extend him and keep him in the rotation for the next 3 years.
    How can you be more "high probability" than the #1 prospect.

Point is every prospect is a guess until he proves himself. Trading Dickey for prospects is a crap shoot and only guarantees saving $$$$ for a little while.

vCash
    Contract negotiations between the Mets and R.A. Dickey, stuck last week in a stalemate, have inched toward meaningful progress in the past 24 hours.

Mets sources told the Daily News late Monday that the team, while still refusing to rule out a trade, was in the process of increasing its offer to the Cy Young Award winner to approximately three years, $25 million.

The breakdown: A two-year contract extension at about $10 million per season, in addition to the $5 million already owned to Dickey in 2013. Despite reports to the contrary, Mets sources insisted that the team had not offered that much during last week’s winter meetings.

As the Daily News has been reporting, Dickey has been asking for a two-year extension for approximately $26 million, totaling $31 million over three years.

During and immediately after the winter meetings, the Mets’ offer of a two-year extension had been for about $10 million less than Dickey’s request; now the sides appear to be only about $6 million apart.
    Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...#ixzz2EkvjEOA1

I think a total of $29 million gets it done. That is a very fair number for both sides. I'm a little surprised it has not happened already, but this might be due to the fact that they are openly accepting offers on him. Who knows, but once they decide he is staying...I think they get him signed in 48 hours. Having him under control through 2015 at a reasonable salary ought to make him more attractive to other teams in a deadline deal -- I speculate.
    John Maeda@johnmaeda

Knowing the overall *shape* of an idea, argument, situation requires as many facts, models, opinions as you can take/make to see a whole.

vCash
    Dickey deal now likely?
    R.A. Dickey never has been unreasonable in his demands for a contract extension. The 38-year-old knuckleballer seeks a two-year extension on top of the $5 million he is owed in 2013.

Given that Dickey would settle for those two years at a combined $26 million to $28 million, and ESPN.com's report this morning that the Mets are at $20 million on top of the $5 million owed, it's hard to fathom why an agreement ultimately cannot materialize.
    http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/met...medium=twitter

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

vCash
    I'm all for keeping Dickey, but I need to see a commitment to winning. Hopefully, next year we are in better position to spend and make trades for impact players.

vCash
    Adam Rubin ‏@AdamRubinESPN Very pointed comments from R.A. Dickey. Said he likely would be a goner after 2013 season as free agent if Mets just let extension play out.

Adam Rubin ‏@AdamRubinESPN Dickey added he has been more than generous in his asking price and feels like he has extended olive branch. Says he's disappointed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    Adam Rubin ‏@AdamRubinESPN Very pointed comments from R.A. Dickey. Said he likely would be a goner after 2013 season as free agent if Mets just let extension play out.

Adam Rubin ‏@AdamRubinESPN Dickey added he has been more than generous in his asking price and feels like he has extended olive branch. Says he's disappointed.
    Can't blame him. 2/26 is more than reasonable. I really hope we don't **** this up.

vCash
    KBurkhardtSNY I asked RA Dickey his gut on being back next year and he said "coin flip." say.ly/upq4L2V

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post

can you blame him? Even if they don't feel that he's worth that kind of money going forward, they should pay him that just because of the difference in his performance the past 3 season vs his salary the past 3 seasons:

2010-2012:
    2.95 ERA; 1.15 WHIP; 616 innings; 39 wins;
    51 Mets wins overall when Dickey started a game;
    Dickey's starts have accounted for 22.2% of the Mets victories; yet he has started only 18.7% of their games;

In those 3 seasons, Dickey has been paid $8.4 Mil total ($600K in 2010; and then he signed a $7.8 Mil extension).

True, the Mets gave him money when nobody else would, but based on performance, he was extremely underpaid...Especially when you consider that Pelfrey and Frank Francisco earned more, and Jon Rauch earned almost as much in 2012...

Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast