Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 LastLast
Results 286 to 300 of 323
  1. #286
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    21,867
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by SILVER SEAVER View Post
    Age shouldn't matter in this case because of Dickey's style of pitching. R.A. will be better at 38,39,40 than Ollie was at 28,29,30.
    Age is an issue from the injury perspective.

    Performance shouldn't be affected greatly with a knuckleballer from the time between 38 and 40 years old but the risk of injury is more significant.
    Last edited by metswon69; 12-12-2012 at 04:04 PM.

  2. #287
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    21,867
    vCash
    1500
    Saying that, i think they get a deal done, they are only 6 million apart over 3 years.

    Not 10-15 million where losing Dickey would be almost certain..

  3. #288
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    10,441
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Beltrans Mole View Post
    Francessa was saying that Dickey wants 2 years, 28 mil? Is this seriously what is holding up the deal? I mean we gave Ollie Perez 3 years, 36 mil for christs sake....you can't give a guy 14 per year after a Cy Young campaign...when he's a fan favorite? Not to mention one of the reasons people will watch and go to the games?


    no his contract demands r not holding up a deal. the trade market is. the mets will sign dickey but only after they explore all trades.
    if u like mixed martial arts check out the psd mma forum

  4. #289
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    21,867
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by macattack View Post
    no his contract demands r not holding up a deal. the trade market is. the mets will sign dickey but only after they explore all trades.
    This...

    The Mets are playing the waiting game and rightfully so, there is no deadline to make a deal.
    Last edited by metswon69; 12-12-2012 at 07:13 PM.

  5. #290
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    21,867
    vCash
    1500
    Matthew Cerrone, MetsBlog.com:

    Please, read this, it may help with the waiting…
    Sandy Alderson’s top priority this winter is to acquire a young hitter. The easiest way to do this is by trading R.A. Dickey or Jon Niese. The Rangers and other teams are genuinely interested, and have the young hitters to trade, but (for now) they’re exploring other options.

    Meanwhile, in case a trade doesn’t happen, or in case Niese is the one that gets traded, the Mets are discussing a contract extension with Dickey because they don’t want him to leave after next season. Dickey wants a deal, but the Mets can’t ink him to one until the trade market has played itself out…

    In short, it’s a waiting game. Dickey is waiting on the Mets, who are waiting on the trade market. Dickey thinks he should be paid X, the Mets think he’s worth Y. Teams will give one prospect to get Dickey, the Mets would like two. The Mets will trade Dickey in the right deal, but they’ll sign Dickey if they don’t.

    It’s not about ‘dragging feet,’ or disrespect, or spending or not spending money. It’s about exploring ways to make the overall team better, and eventually someone will blink.

  6. #291
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    21,867
    vCash
    1500
    It makes sense what the Mets are trying to do here...

    They are looking to find a team desperate for a #1 starting pitcher, it's their best course of action till they come to a decision on what to do with Dickey.

    Inevitably i think he is re-signed but anything is possible.
    Last edited by metswon69; 12-12-2012 at 07:37 PM.

  7. #292
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    The Boogie Down
    Posts
    78,881
    vCash
    1500
    I said it many times, it does not matter if they sign him to an extension 1 day before ST or during ST, just sign him if they were unable to get what they wanted for him.

    What they are doing makes sense, but not for Dickey though because he feels slighted by a low ball offer so by doing this they have upset him a bit and he showed how he felt yesterday.

  8. #293
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Asheville, NC
    Posts
    29,159
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    I said it many times, it does not matter if they sign him to an extension 1 day before ST or during ST, just sign him if they were unable to get what they wanted for him.

    What they are doing makes sense, but not for Dickey though because he feels slighted by a low ball offer so by doing this they have upset him a bit and he showed how he felt yesterday.
    Must not of been any chocolates at the Christmas party.

  9. #294
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    116
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    It makes sense what the Mets are trying to do here...

    They are looking to find a team desperate for a #1 starting pitcher, it's their best course of action till they come to a decision on what to do with Dickey.

    Inevitably i think he is re-signed but anything is possible.
    They should know what the market for dickey is at this point.

    The mets need to either ****, or get off the pot. Dickey has been dicked around enough already.

    I also don't see the Mets waiting until day of ST or playing out his deal. You can already see resentment starting to form between the two sides.

    I expect a resolution one way or another in the next couple of weeks (imo). If Sandy overplays his hand and lets this draw out to try and squeeze and extra C prospect out of an club I could see it backfiring.

    Dickey is one of those players that there is disagreement about and only certain teams have interest to begin with. If FA plays out wrong and Sanchez, Marcum, Loshe, etc sign with those interested teams the market could collapse.

    There's also only a certain number of teams that lineup with the mets needs (C, OF, SP) etc.

    Sandy may also find himself in a Kevin Towers like situation where he has to settle for less then Dickey would have went for earlier because he needs OF help or a C.

  10. #295
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    21,867
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by boller4prez View Post
    They should know what the market for dickey is at this point.

    The mets need to either ****, or get off the pot. Dickey has been dicked around enough already.

    I also don't see the Mets waiting until day of ST or playing out his deal. You can already see resentment starting to form between the two sides.

    I expect a resolution one way or another in the next couple of weeks (imo). If Sandy overplays his hand and lets this draw out to try and squeeze and extra C prospect out of an club I could see it backfiring.

    Dickey is one of those players that there is disagreement about and only certain teams have interest to begin with. If FA plays out wrong and Sanchez, Marcum, Loshe, etc sign with those interested teams the market could collapse.

    There's also only a certain number of teams that lineup with the mets needs (C, OF, SP) etc.

    Sandy may also find himself in a Kevin Towers like situation where he has to settle for less then Dickey would have went for earlier because he needs OF help or a C.
    Money talks and ******** walks, you saw how angry David Wright was about the information leaking out about his possible contract.

    Less than two days later he signed on the dotted line.

    If the Mets don't find what they are looking for on the trade market, they will sign him.

    I think you are overestimating how "slighted" these guys feel or how "angry" they become when they don't get a new deal right away.

    It's like FOC mentioned with overestimating the importance of a player playing on a competitive team, these are tertiary issues. The most important thing in these negotiations is money and although Dickey is guy of high character i still think if the Mets meet his demands he'll sign.

    Saying that, posters like you are putting deadlines on when the Mets have to do something. It's an artificial arbitrary deadline not a mandatory one.
    Last edited by metswon69; 12-12-2012 at 09:18 PM.

  11. #296
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Brooklyn New York
    Posts
    12,736
    vCash
    1500
    I fail to see the point in extending Dickey. This team isn't looking to win for maybe 3 years. Of course the team can aim high but they need to be realistic, we're not getting 2 elite prospects for an aging pitcher. If we can't acquire D'arnaud or Olt + others, we should just settle for Olt.

    Then again, I don't believe in sentimentalism.

  12. #297
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    21,867
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Zmaster52 View Post
    I fail to see the point in extending Dickey. This team isn't looking to win for maybe 3 years. Of course the team can aim high but they need to be realistic, we're not getting 2 elite prospects for an aging pitcher. If we can't acquire D'arnaud or Olt + others, we should just settle for Olt.

    Then again, I don't believe in sentimentalism.
    Well i think the Mets feel they could ride out Dickey next year if somehow they don't re-sign him and if they know he won't be back deal him at the deadline for something similar. Or that the compensation pick they get for losing Dickey could be end up being something like Olt.

    Probably more the former than the latter.

    Either way if they don't get a deal they want, they should re-sign him. He can still be productive and there is no reason to let productivity walk when this team has so few productive players.

  13. #298
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Brooklyn New York
    Posts
    12,736
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Well i think the Mets feel they could ride out Dickey next year if somehow they don't re-sign him and if they know he won't be back deal him at the deadline for something similar. Or that the compensation pick they get for losing Dickey could be end up being something like Olt.

    Probably more the former than the latter.

    Either way if they don't get a deal they want, they should re-sign him. He can still be productive and there is no reason to let productivity walk when this team has so few productive players.
    Heh.

    We could deal him at the deadline but that could greatly decrease or increase his value. His stock is highest now as is, deal him and settle for the best they can get.

    I personally don't want to re-sign him, we have a lot of money coming off the books next year and hopefully (fingers crossed) we can use the money to re-sign an aging pitcher OR use it to make a splash in the free agent market with holes we have. Which will most likely be bullpen and outfield and perhaps a 5th starter. We're throwing away next year anyways, that's just another year older everyone gets. That starts to matter around age 35.

  14. #299
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    21,867
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Zmaster52 View Post
    Heh.

    We could deal him at the deadline but that could greatly decrease or increase his value. His stock is highest now as is, deal him and settle for the best they can get.

    I personally don't want to re-sign him, we have a lot of money coming off the books next year and hopefully (fingers crossed) we can use the money to re-sign an aging pitcher OR use it to make a splash in the free agent market with holes we have. Which will most likely be bullpen and outfield and perhaps a 5th starter. We're throwing away next year anyways, that's just another year older everyone gets. That starts to matter around age 35.
    Well it comes down to how well he pitches this year and how desperate a team is for SP (also the fact that they don't mind losing compensation picks if he walks in 2014) but who knows?

    Seems like the interest has been ramped up since the Shields trade and the Greinke signing so i can still see the Mets getting a very good haul for RA.

    And if not, they'll re-sign him..

  15. #300
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Brooklyn New York
    Posts
    12,736
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Well it comes down to how well he pitches this year and how desperate a team is for SP (also the fact that they don't mind losing compensation picks if he walks in 2014) but who knows?

    Seems like the interest has been ramped up since the Shields trade and the Greinke signing so i can still see the Mets getting a very good haul for RA.

    And if not, they'll re-sign him..
    I understand your point however, the stock couldn't be higher for Dickey. Teams are desperate now seeing the market has shrunk and that Dickey is probably the next best thing. If they can't get what they're looking for, they'll re-sign him and trade Niese. One of them is definitely going.

Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •