Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
Results 271 to 285 of 323
  1. #271
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    22,002
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by jomota48 View Post
    And they cannot seem to even get that. So thew problem is his age in my opinion.

    I don't think any GM wants to be the guy that gives a 38 year old a lot of $$$$ and the have it blow up in their face.
    Well then their only other 3 options are waiting to the deadline to deal him (hoping a team gets desperate and doesn't mind losing the compensation picks if he leaves them in FA), sign him, or let him walk after next season and receive compensation picks for him.

    Out of those 3 options the best possible move would most likely be to re-sign him.

  2. #272
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    10,400
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Well then their only other 3 options are waiting to the deadline to deal him (hoping a team gets desperate and doesn't mind losing the compensation picks if he leaves them in FA), sign him or let him walk after next season and receive compensation picks for him.

    Out of those 3 options the best possible move would most likely be to re-sign him.
    And I hope they do.

    Gotta go. Have a good night.

  3. #273
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    22,002
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by jomota48 View Post
    and i hope they do.

    Gotta go. Have a good night.
    u2..

  4. #274
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    30,870
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by dunbummin View Post
    And you make a fair pont that, if the intention is to weigh trade options before deciding whether to extend him, they should merely tell him that and wait until the trade discussions are ended to begin negotiations on an extension.

    The fact is, however, that we really don't know exactly what has transpired between the two sides. We only have speculation from "sources". How do we know they offered him 2/20? And I've seen reports that he is looking for 2/25, 2/26, 2/30 and even 3/45. Like the song says, "when you get behind closed doors . ."
    No, we don't know, but we have heard Dickey's own voice express disappointment with how the negotiations are going. And because Dickey is probably the most earnest athlete I've ever known of, that's good enough for me.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

  5. #275
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    18,139
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Dickey has all the leverage coming off a Cy Young season, but 3yrs/31 million like has been reported is not unreasonable.

    That's only (i know its hard to say "only" but in the context of baseball it's different) a 5 million dollar a year raise. He deserves that the way he has pitched the last 3 years.
    Oliver Perez got 3/36 coming off a year where he was 10-7, walked 105, had a 4.22 ERA and a 1.40 WHIP. Dickey comes off winning the Cy Young and can't get more than 10 million a year? BS on that. And Ollie got a raise of 5.5 million a year for three years for being nothing more than mediocre in 2008.

  6. #276
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    749
    vCash
    1500
    Wins are wins, no matter what form they come in. R.A. Dickey would make the Mariners a lot better in a hurry. If he can be had for something like Paxton and Franklin, then I hope Jack is at least exploring the option.
    http://www.ussmariner.com/2012/12/11...or-r-a-dickey/

    Baseball America has Paxton as Seattle's #4 prospect & Franklin #5.

    If Seattle is interested, would it be plausible to ask for one of Zunino or Montero with a pitching prospect or Franklin attached? They have two excellent catchers that are both very young with high potential and we haven't had a long-term solution at catcher since Piazza.

    I'd love to see Zunino & Plawecki competing against each other down in the minors for the eventual starting role or watch Montero play in NY, but in orange & blue.

  7. #277
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    22,002
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by SILVER SEAVER View Post
    Oliver Perez got 3/36 coming off a year where he was 10-7, walked 105, had a 4.22 ERA and a 1.40 WHIP. Dickey comes off winning the Cy Young and can't get more than 10 million a year? BS on that. And Ollie got a raise of 5.5 million a year for three years for being nothing more than mediocre in 2008.
    Well i think the possible concern with Dickey is age..

    Whether its a valid concern i guess we will find out in the next 3 seasons either with him in a Met uniform or otherwise.

    I don't believe it is.
    Last edited by metswon69; 12-12-2012 at 07:23 AM.

  8. #278
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    29,789
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Well i think the possible concern with Dickey is age..

    Whether its a valid concern i guess we will find out in the next 3 seasons whether he is a Met during that entire time or not.

    I don't believe it is.
    Like it or not, it always plays a factor. Do I think R.A's age is a big deal? not really. I'd be fine signing him for a few years but, there's enough people out there who wouldn't be fond of dealing top prospects for a 38 year old knuckleballer coming off a career year. It would be a hard sell for most GM's. I think maybe this is why a deal will take longer than expected for a guy who just won the Cy Young. Very unique situation.

  9. #279
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    10,400
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Halladay View Post
    Like it or not, it always plays a factor. Do I think R.A's age is a big deal? not really. I'd be fine signing him for a few years but, there's enough people out there who wouldn't be fond of dealing top prospects for a 38 year old knuckleballer coming off a career year. It would be a hard sell for most GM's. I think maybe this is why a deal will take longer than expected for a guy who just won the Cy Young. Very unique situation.
    This is what I have been saying all along.

  10. #280
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    5,494
    vCash
    1500
    Francessa was saying that Dickey wants 2 years, 28 mil? Is this seriously what is holding up the deal? I mean we gave Ollie Perez 3 years, 36 mil for christs sake....you can't give a guy 14 per year after a Cy Young campaign...when he's a fan favorite? Not to mention one of the reasons people will watch and go to the games?

  11. #281
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    18,139
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Well i think the possible concern with Dickey is age..

    Whether its a valid concern i guess we will find out in the next 3 seasons either with him in a Met uniform or otherwise.

    I don't believe it is.
    Age shouldn't matter in this case because of Dickey's style of pitching. R.A. will be better at 38,39,40 than Ollie was at 28,29,30.

  12. #282
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    18,139
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Beltrans Mole View Post
    Francessa was saying that Dickey wants 2 years, 28 mil? Is this seriously what is holding up the deal? I mean we gave Ollie Perez 3 years, 36 mil for christs sake....you can't give a guy 14 per year after a Cy Young campaign...when he's a fan favorite? Not to mention one of the reasons people will watch and go to the games?
    Ding, Ding, Ding, Ding. When Jose walked off the field for the last time in game 162 of the 2011 season you can tell he was saying goodbye to the fans. When R.A. won his 20th at Citi you can tell it was going to be his last game pitched at home as a Met. The Wilpons brought Sandy in to do the dirty work so they don't have to get their hands dirty by hitting the chicken switch with contracts. Sure they paid Wright but if they let him walk or traded without a significant offer Mets fans would have revolted. Their hands were tied. It didn't look IMO that Jeff was all that happy extending out Wright.

  13. #283
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    18,139
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Halladay View Post
    Like it or not, it always plays a factor. Do I think R.A's age is a big deal? not really. I'd be fine signing him for a few years but, there's enough people out there who wouldn't be fond of dealing top prospects for a 38 year old knuckleballer coming off a career year. It would be a hard sell for most GM's. I think maybe this is why a deal will take longer than expected for a guy who just won the Cy Young. Very unique situation.
    Halladay at age 36 will be better than most 20 something year olds because of how intelligent he is. The same goes for Dickey in his late 30's. Pitchers that know the art of pitching can last into their 40's these days.

  14. #284
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,818
    vCash
    1500
    Would anyone consider trading him to Detroit for porcello if we can't extend him or get a decent of option prospect for him?

    We still wouldn't have an outfield but we would have a very young and talented starting rotation going forward.


    Presenting the 2013 New York Mets Outfield.

  15. #285
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,625
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Rio40 View Post
    Would anyone consider trading him to Detroit for porcello if we can't extend him or get a decent of option prospect for him?

    We still wouldn't have an outfield but we would have a very young and talented starting rotation going forward.

    Porcello stinks

Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •