Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

University of Kentucky hires Mark Stoops (FSU) as new coach

Florida State defensive coordinator Mark Stoops has agreed to a deal that will make him the new head football coach of your University of Kentucky Wildcats. An official announcement from the university is expected later this afternoon
    -Kentuckysportsradio.com

It will be interesting to see how this unfolds for UK. I think his staffing is important. Personally I feel if he tries to bring in a pro-style offense, this will fail miserably for UK.
    2015: For Ron and Ernie
    World Series or Bust
    www.cubsrelated.com for all things related to the cubs

I said in the other thread that if Rich Brooks can win 7-8 games a year in Lexington, almost anything is possible.

It's all about the staff and recruiting. Stay out of Georgia though.

Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    -Kentuckysportsradio.com

It will be interesting to see how this unfolds for UK. I think his staffing is important. Personally I feel if he tries to bring in a pro-style offense, this will fail miserably for UK.
    Most definitely..

Although Mark doesn't have head coaching experience - I do like the hire. Hopefully Mark can be successful and turn things around in Lexington.

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo95 View Post
    I said in the other thread that if Rich Brooks can win 7-8 games a year in Lexington, almost anything is possible.

It's all about the staff and recruiting. Stay out of Georgia though.
    One thing about Rich Brooks: dude knew how to recruit a 2 and 3 star prospect. He brought in Stevie Johnson, Randall Cobb, Danny Trevathen, Tim Mastay, Andre Woodson, Derrick Locke, Wesley Woodyard, Keenan Burton, Myron Pryor, Corey Peters, Rafael Little, John Connor, and Brian Hartline all as 2 or 3 star prospects and all of those guys would go on to play in the NFL (some, with varying degrees of success, obviously). He's also got two linemen that will be drafted this year and a possible WR. It's rare you find that much success out of lower tier recruits.

We won 7 and 8 games because he was amazing at finding the steals of the recruiting class.

This time, I just hope we recruit better from the outset . I'd take some 4 and 5 star guys.
    Last edited by 1908_Cubs; 11-27-2012 at 09:01 PM.
    2015: For Ron and Ernie
    World Series or Bust
    www.cubsrelated.com for all things related to the cubs

Quote Originally Posted by 1908 Cubs
    One thing about Rich Brooks: dude knew how to recruit a 2 and 3 star prospect. He brought in Stevie Johnson, Randall Cobb, Danny Trevathen, Tim Mastay, Andre Woodson, Derrick Locke, Wesley Woodyard, Keenan Burton, Myron Pryor, Corey Peters, Rafael Little, John Connor, and Brian Hartline all as 2 or 3 star prospects and all of those guys would go on to play in the NFL (some, with varying degrees of success, obviously). He's also got two linemen that will be drafted this year and a possible WR. It's rare you find that much success out of lower tier recruits.

We won 7 and 8 games because he was amazing at finding the steals of the recruiting class.

This time, I just hope we recruit better from the outset . I'd take some 4 and 5 star guys.
    Yeah, I knew Brooks was going to succeed there. He was the defensive coordinator when the Falcons made it to the Super Bowl in '98 with a bunch of overachieving players. http://www.pro-football-reference.co...s/atl/1998.htm

The man knew how to get every bit of talent out of a player or group. I am admittedly not as familiar with Stoops, but that name carries some weight and I know from watching UGA-v-UK games over the years that the passion for football is building in Lexington. Some good sports fans there.

A big issue that they are gonna face is those 7-8 win seasons under Rich Brooks go check out the formula.

4-0 Non-Conference (Louisville and 3 smaller conference teams)
    Beat Vanderbilt
    Beat Miss State
    Pull out another SEC win (Ole Miss, Arkansas, Auburn)
    Win low tier bowl game against ACC

The problem with them doing that same thing now is that Vanderbilt and Miss State were perennial 2-4 win teams at that time. Now they have Dan Mullen and James Franklin and are winning 7-8 games a year. And as long as Charlie Strong is at Louisville (may not be much longer) that won't be an easy win as in the past either.

So those are 3 teams that Kentucky plays every year that are much much better than they were when Rich Brooks was the coach.

Marcus Mariota

But you add in Mizzou, who could continue to struggle, and UT & Auburn, both of whom could have a nice little rebuilding period on their hands. Vandy is doing good but let's not act like they have completely run away yet -- same goes for State and Ole Miss, even though I like all 3 coaches. And yeah, I doubt Strong sticks around much longer.

But you add in Mizzou, who could continue to struggle, and UT & Auburn, both of whom could have a nice little rebuilding period on their hands. Vandy is doing good but let's not act like they have completely run away yet -- same goes for State and Ole Miss, even though I like all 3 coaches. And yeah, I doubt Strong sticks around much longer.
    They will only play Auburn like once every 7 years. Tennessee gets top 20 recruiting classes every year and even when they were bad they still beat Rich Brooks teams every year. And Vanderbilt hasn't pulled away yet but if they keep getting top 20 recruiting classes like they have coming in this year..... Because what James Franklin is doing now he is doing isn't even with his players.

Marcus Mariota

Well it appears that he is trying to bring in James Coley with him, one of the top young recruiters in the ACC. that would be a great start. By all indications it appears as though Barnhardt has agreed to some huge renovations of UK's football facilities and given Stoops a very good budget to try to bring in a top staff. Rumors also that Neal Brown could come in at some capacity on offense, not sure how he and Coley coexist unless Coley is Associate Head Coach and recruiting coordinator and Brown his OC. Brown, current OC for Texas Tech, would definitely bring some excitement to the offensive side of the ball. .

FSU Coach James Coley expected to take OC position at Kentucky barring any changes as early as Sunday, if so FSU recruiting impacted in SFL
    -CaneInsider

I was lurking on KentuckySportsRadio and found this^. Oh my, how the tables turned - if this holds true. IMO.

suck it, FSU!!!
    JETSMETSKNICKSPENS
    GATOR BAIT!
    UCONN!!!

kind of surprised they didn't go with an offense type coach. Guess Stoops will try to use his recruiting ties to both Ohio and Florida

Cameron Jordan is awesome

12.5 sacks and this http://instagram.com/p/jfs5DemKo3/

Quote Originally Posted by neovenator250 View Post
    kind of surprised they didn't go with an offense type coach. Guess Stoops will try to use his recruiting ties to both Ohio and Florida
    I am as well. I don't really know what Stoops brings to them that is really gonna do much in terms of recruiting in the short-term.

Marcus Mariota

Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    -Kentuckysportsradio.com

Hey, a KSR reader! Rock on!

Sad to say,but it looks like Strong IS going to stick around. I think his contract goes to 2019? Which of course doesn't necessarily mean he STAYS that long, but Vandy and UL sure put their money where their mouths were! Still no Petrino hire though. 'Will be very interesting to see where, if anywhere, he ends up now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast