Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Re-build the Thunder 2007-2010

This seems to be a hypothetical sort of day in the forums so I'll offer one of my own. Sam Presti has done a very nice job building the OKC Thunder into a contender, but I would also attribute a bit of his success to the "luck of the draft." My challenge to you is to build a better team with the draft picks he had at his disposal (he should get some credit for attaining them):

2007: 2nd (Durant) and 5th (Green) picks

2008: 4th (Westbrook) and 24th (Ibaka) picks

2009: 3rd (Harden) and 24th (Mullens) picks

2010: 11th (Aldrich) pick

State whether you make those 7 picks in retrospect or assuming you have the knowledge and opinions that GMs had at the time of the draft. Wikipedia can help you with who was available.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_NBA_Draft (change "2007" to "2008" in the html or search it)

http://www.basketball-reference.com/draft/NBA_2007.html (link from JordansBulls)
    Last edited by topdog; 12-04-2012 at 04:05 PM. Reason: add second link

vCash

Without present knowledge

I always thought the Jeff Green pick was redundant and would have gone with Noah then and now and I wasn't very high on Westbrook as a Collison fan. So, at the time, I probably would have taken:

Durant
    Noah (rated as #1 pick if he had come out in '06)

Love (expecting him to be a rebounder/putback guy)
    Batum (okay, honestly I don't know who I'd have taken as the Thunder here)

Rubio
    Budinger (was a projected late-lottery/mid-first pick in '08)

Larry Sanders

So that lineup would look like:

Rubio
    Batum
    Durant/Budinger
    Love
    Noah/Sanders

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by topdog View Post
    This seems to be a hypothetical sort of day in the forums so I'll offer one of my own. Sam Presti has done a very nice job building the OKC Thunder into a contender, but I would also attribute a bit of his success to the "luck of the draft." My challenge to you is to build a better team with the draft picks he had at his disposal (he should get some credit for attaining them):

State whether you make those 7 picks in retrospect or assuming you have the knowledge and opinions that GMs had at the time of the draft. Wikipedia can help you with who was available.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_NBA_Draft (change "2007" to "2008" in the html or search it)
    I would use this link for the drafts

http://www.basketball-reference.com/draft/NBA_2007.html

In 2007 I would take Durant #2 and maybe take Noah #5.
    In 2008 I would take Kevin Love #4 and take George Hill #24
    In 2009 I would take James Harden #3 and Taj Gibson #24
    In 2010 I would take Aldrich #11

Lineup
    PG Hill
    SG Harden
    SF Durant
    PF Love/Gibson
    C Noah
    "Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
    - Michael Jordan

Thanks MJ-Bulls for the picture.

vCash
    PG: Westbrook
    SG: James Harden
    SF: Kevin Durant
    PF: Ibaka
    C: Joakim Noah (Instead of Green, trade down)

Unless you draft Kevin Love instead of Westbrook and then draft Rubio/Harden..

vCash

With hindsight,

2007: Durant, Noah and obtained a late pick to get Marc Gasol (low investment, high reward)
    2008: Kevin Love, Ibaka
    2009: Harden, Beaubois
    2010: Traded down, kept Bledsoe and drafted Bradley.

So a possible line up of

Bledsoe, Harden, Durant, Love, Gasol

With pieces to possibly trade for CP3 in Bradley, Bledsoe, Beaubois, Ibaka and Noah. If I could cheat, I would have drafted Rondo in 2006 and ended up with:

Rondo, Harden, Durant, Love, Gasol

With Bledsoe, Beaubois, Bradley, Ibaka and Noah off the bench.
    Last edited by Freakazoid; 12-04-2012 at 04:18 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Freakazoid View Post
    With hindsight,

2007: Durant, Noah and obtained a late pick to get Marc Gasol
    2008: Kevin Love, Ibaka
    2009: Harden, Beaubois
    2010: Traded down, kept Bledsoe and drafted Bradley.

So a possible line up of

Bledsoe, Harden, Durant, Love, Gasol

With pieces to possibly trade for CP3 in Bradley, Bledsoe, Beaubois, Ibaka and Noah. If I could cheat, I would have drafted Rondo in 2006 and ended up with:

Rondo, Harden, Durant, Love, Gasol

With Bledsoe, Beaubois, Bradley, Ibaka and Noah off the bench.
    You are just totally taking this to a whole notha level http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ih4AVOnO840

No trades allowed. For the sake of simplicity, the rules are that you must draft someone with the picks Presti ended the draft with.

I definitely would have taken Bledsoe in hindsight. He was a nice find for the Clippers.

vCash
    The 2008, 2009 and 2010 picks would've have been in the exact same place had you drafted Noah over Green.

vCash
    try the same idea with a different team.
    most of our picks were spot on.

Windsor, Earth's Rectum (as reported by Stephen Colbert).
    vCash
    They've done a great job... no tsure I would change much, but that said, if I had hindsight....

Durant, they could have drafted Noah with him instaed of Green... and then they wouldn't have have to trade Green for Perk ;-) lol

I would certainly hang onto Carly Landry, then pick up KLove instead of Westbrook, as I would no longer need a PG, especially one that is such a ball hog and takes up a max-deal.
    Maybe take Pekovic instead of Ibaka.... Ibaka would be hard... because if I had Love I'd want a center and they could have taken Asik or Jordan with that pick as well as Pek, but you'd already have Noah... I dunno...

I think Harden is still very much the right pick in 2009.
    2010, I think hanging onto Beldsoe is a good idea and picking up Jordan Crawford.
    And 2011... they may want to have picked up Singler.

A roster with Pek, Noah Love and Durant in the front court and Lowry with Harden and Bledsoe in the back court... pretty impressive...
    What the eye doesn't see and the mind doesn't know, doesn't exist.
    Follow me on Twitter and I'll follow back: @JasonJHorn

vCash
    2007: Durant and Joakim Noah
    2008: Love and Batum
    2009: Rubio and Taj Gibson
    2010: Avery Bradley

PG Rubio / Bradley
    SG Durant / Bradley
    SF Batum / Durant
    PF Love / Gibson
    C Noah / Love / Gibson

"My bro DitchDat writes about the Celtics and the NBA over at http://www.randomandsome.com/ -- go check it out. Buckets!"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    The 2008, 2009 and 2010 picks would've have been in the exact same place had you drafted Noah over Green.
    It's just a simple hypothetical. I think it's fair to assume that the Thunder would have picks in the same general area regardless of who they drafted.

Quote Originally Posted by OKC View Post
    try the same idea with a different team.
    most of our picks were spot on.
    Please don't take this as me attacking the Thunder or Presti - not the purpose of this exercise. I'd be happy to do a different team once this one has run its course. Looking at the draft prospects available and the location of the picks, I think it can be objectively stated that it would have been hard for Presti to go wrong after he put in the planning and work to get them.

vCash
    Eric Bledsoe
    James Harden
    Kevin Durant
    Kevin Love
    Joakim Noah

Serge Ibaka

I figure Ibaka gets close to 30mpg with Noah being at 30-33 and Love being used for 35mpg.
    Quote Originally Posted by effen5 View Post
    2 years ago, this team was worth 650 million dollars. Derrick Rose has played ten games since and now this team is worth a billion dollars. Clearly, it's Tom Thibodeu.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonJohnHorn View Post
    They've done a great job... no tsure I would change much, but that said, if I had hindsight....

Durant, they could have drafted Noah with him instaed of Green... and then they wouldn't have have to trade Green for Perk ;-) lol

I would certainly hang onto Carly Landry, then pick up KLove instead of Westbrook, as I would no longer need a PG, especially one that is such a ball hog and takes up a max-deal.
    Maybe take Pekovic instead of Ibaka.... Ibaka would be hard... because if I had Love I'd want a center and they could have taken Asik or Jordan with that pick as well as Pek, but you'd already have Noah... I dunno...

I think Harden is still very much the right pick in 2009.
    2010, I think hanging onto Beldsoe is a good idea and picking up Jordan Crawford.
    And 2011... they may want to have picked up Singler.

A roster with Pek, Noah Love and Durant in the front court and Lowry with Harden and Bledsoe in the back court... pretty impressive...
    How did you get to Lowry

Also, no second rounders. Too much "if"ness at play here already. But it would have been a nice pick to have kept Landry who still seems to be underappreciated.

vCash
    I don't think Kevin Love would be the player today if he was drafted on OKC and played along side with Durant.

vCash
    It's just a simple hypothetical. I think it's fair to assume that the Thunder would have picks in the same general area regardless of who they drafted.

Please don't take this as me attacking the Thunder or Presti - not the purpose of this exercise. I'd be happy to do a different team once this one has run its course. Looking at the draft prospects available and the location of the picks, I think it can be objectively stated that it would have been hard for Presti to go wrong after he put in the planning and work to get them.
    not at all, im just saying that maybe a pick or two can be improved while with other teams, lets say memphis, it would make a much bigger change from what actually happened.
    lets say memphis take westbrook over mayo.
    then they take harden/rubio over thabeet.
    they have a core of:
    rubio/conley
    westbrook
    gay
    randolph
    gasol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast