Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Rumored Free Agent Interests

Just from a bit of research, I'm hearing the names Stephen Drew, Dee Gordon, Nick Swisher, Kevin Youkilis, and Mike Pelfrey being swirled in Indians trade/ free agency winds. Was curious about what you all thought about these guys (feel free to chime in on any single player, or all of them if you desire), as well as what kind of pull Terry Francona gives us to bring actual talent in (ignoring the vacuum-sealed wallets of the Dolan ownership).

vCash

vCash
    g

vCash
    How many threads do we need open about the offseason.

Best Friends 4-Life!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ottograham14 View Post
    How many threads do we need open about the offseason.
    Agreed! Do we need to open a new thread every time there is a tweet about a potential deal? Most of which don't come to fruition.

vCash
    Its good to see everyone posting informative and useful replies to the opening post.

I think Youk would be the best fit for the tribe going forward. He has a great relationship with Terry and played his very best while coached by him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendBradley View Post
    Its good to see everyone posting informative and useful replies to the opening post.

I think Youk would be the best fit for the tribe going forward. He has a great relationship with Terry and played his very best while coached by him.
    Thanks, I think we've already talked about this in eight other threads.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendBradley View Post

Wait so this is the thread where we talk about Youk. I could have swore that was the Youk thread that was opened that we do that in. My Bad. Just razing ya too bud.
    Last edited by ottograham14; 12-07-2012 at 09:38 AM.

Best Friends 4-Life!!!

vCash
    I don't mind multiple threads, at least the Indians forum is active for once.

There are(were?) also talks about the Indians trading for Trevor Bauer or Tyler Skaggs in exchange for ACab.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jacobset View Post
    Just from a bit of research, I'm hearing the names Stephen Drew, Dee Gordon, Nick Swisher, Kevin Youkilis, and Mike Pelfrey being swirled in Indians trade/ free agency winds. Was curious about what you all thought about these guys (feel free to chime in on any single player, or all of them if you desire), as well as what kind of pull Terry Francona gives us to bring actual talent in (ignoring the vacuum-sealed wallets of the Dolan ownership).
    NONE as long as the owners happen to have the last name of Dolan. You could get ANYONE to manage this team and free agents wouldn't want to come here because they know that, ultimately, the Dolans are going to wait until the 455 sellout streak is resurrected/beaten before they open their pocketbooks.

I joke, but the main point is that the Dolans have to realize that there will never be another 455 sellout streak in Cleveland for the Tribe...too many games, too many other ways for Tribe fans to spend their money, and the economy is horrible. The best way to get people interested in your product is to put a product worth watching on the field...then you will have people that are intrigued and will go a time or two and tell their friends who will go a time or two until you have a stadium with 25-30,000 people there regularly...which is a far cry from where it is going to be this year (unless something brings big league talent back to the Tribe....I see sub 10,000 numbers for average attendance this year!).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by browniebuck View Post
    NONE as long as the owners happen to have the last name of Dolan. You could get ANYONE to manage this team and free agents wouldn't want to come here because they know that, ultimately, the Dolans are going to wait until the 455 sellout streak is resurrected/beaten before they open their pocketbooks.

I joke, but the main point is that the Dolans have to realize that there will never be another 455 sellout streak in Cleveland for the Tribe...too many games, too many other ways for Tribe fans to spend their money, and the economy is horrible. The best way to get people interested in your product is to put a product worth watching on the field...then you will have people that are intrigued and will go a time or two and tell their friends who will go a time or two until you have a stadium with 25-30,000 people there regularly...which is a far cry from where it is going to be this year (unless something brings big league talent back to the Tribe....I see sub 10,000 numbers for average attendance this year!).
    Brownie, for someone who said on the Browns forum that you don't follow the Indians anymore you sure do a lot of negative talking on thier forum. Oh wait thats Cleveland fans. I understand you're frustration man but come on, its like every thread now. Also the main point is that you need to realize the Dolans are not going to go out and spend or overspend on players. Deal with it, it is the way of MLB. You can either go root for your high market teams that spend the money you apperantly want the Tribe to do that will never happen or you can realize that this is a small market team that is going to sell off thier players once they have hit their peaks if they are not contending for prospects and just have to hope that the scouts, developmental instruction and players can hit their peaks leading to a possible 2 year window of contending to go along with the draft picks just to be sold off again when they are not contending. 10-12 other teams do this as well. It sucks but this is the way of Tribe baseball now. You want to put some blame on people then start to do it to Shap, Ants, the scouting department and the developmental dept not too mention the players that don't live up their potential ie. Laporta, Knapp, Carrasco, etc.

Best Friends 4-Life!!!

vCash
    I am, and (unfortunately) will always be a Cleveland Sports fan...the curse that my parents cast on me! I get that this is what we have to do in order to "compete", but we have pieces in place that could compete now. Go out and do something to make fans believe that you actually give 2/3 of a turd about winning...you MAY see fans show up to watch YOUR team.

Sorry for being tired of terrible baseball...when you have some talented pieces, you have to try to contend with them. Cabrera, Choo, Santana, Brantley, Kipnis, Chisenhall, Masterson, Jimenez, Perez, Pestano...you had pieces that, with a complement or two, could have pushed to stay in the Wild Card race last year...but we got Casey Kotchman, Jose Lopez, Derek Lowe, etc... I am sorry for pointing out that this isn't good business...but if it looks like a duck, smells like a duck, spends money like a duck...I'm gonna call it the DOLANS! He wants fans in the stands...but his improvements to the team are those journeymen? Sorry...I wasn't impressed!

That being said, Otto...I like today's trade, overall...we get something of value that they are going to have under team control for years to come, a couple of bullpen arms, and a speedy OF who has shown some power (and a swiss cheese bat) for a player that is GONZO after this year (Scott Boras is the devil!), a reliever that struggled last year, a career minor leaguer, and a utility infielder/outfielder...a step in the right direction for this management group.

vCash
    Brownie, for someone who said on the Browns forum that you don't follow the Indians anymore you sure do a lot of negative talking on thier forum. Oh wait thats Cleveland fans. I understand you're frustration man but come on, its like every thread now. Also the main point is that you need to realize the Dolans are not going to go out and spend or overspend on players. Deal with it, it is the way of MLB. You can either go root for your high market teams that spend the money you apperantly want the Tribe to do that will never happen or you can realize that this is a small market team that is going to sell off thier players once they have hit their peaks if they are not contending for prospects and just have to hope that the scouts, developmental instruction and players can hit their peaks leading to a possible 2 year window of contending to go along with the draft picks just to be sold off again when they are not contending. 10-12 other teams do this as well. It sucks but this is the way of Tribe baseball now. You want to put some blame on people then start to do it to Shap, Ants, the scouting department and the developmental dept not too mention the players that don't live up their potential ie. Laporta, Knapp, Carrasco, etc.
    Don't recall saying that I don't follow them anymore...may have, but don't recall that one! Had surgery a few weeks back...may have been a Percocet or two talking!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by browniebuck View Post
    Don't recall saying that I don't follow them anymore...may have, but don't recall that one! Had surgery a few weeks back...may have been a Percocet or two talking!
    LOL, got ya. I wasn't trying to attack you either and understand the frustration but its frustrating too just hearing the fans non stop moan and groan about Cleveland sports all the time with anything they do. I guess I've just haven't been beaten down so much by Cleveland sports by now in my life since I have not lived in Cleveland since I was 10, 17 years ago to the point where anything that happens I am going to think negatively about it. I am still in the positive light with all three teams even though they do get frustrating multiple times but at other times I call myself down and hope and pray that their are reasonings behind everything that is going on and what they do. I am excited about the Browns, excited about the Cavs win last night and excited for this trade. Right now I don't think it has been better for Cleveland since 2009 with the Cavs but even then being held up by Lebron it was tough.

Best Friends 4-Life!!!

vCash
    This is the reason baseball has declined so dramatically and is essentially unwatchable in my eyes. With no salary cap and the same 7 teams (NYY, Redsox, Philly, Texas, Anaheim, LAD, SF) being able to out spend all the other teams.....its hard to get excited about this team. MLB wants us to support our small market teams and hope for a 2 year window??? Come on man! I used to love baseball as a kid but with a 162 game season and the constant revolving door of talent...its become a bore to me. Think about what excites us...trading one of our best players for unproven talent with potential because we would have no chance to resign him. MLB better get with the program or they are going to be an after thought like hockey to most if they arent already.

FACTORY OF SADNESS
    1999-????