Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    ok got it:

December 16, 2012 8:11 PM

Third-place Giants still control their destiny

BY Ralph Vacchiano

The defending Super Bowl champions are now in third place in the NFC East.

But they still control their playoff destiny.

That's the bizarre reality the Giants are left with after their humiliating, 34-0 loss in Atlanta on Sunday. The Giants (8-6) are technically in a first-place tie with the Washington Redskins (8-6) and Dallas Cowboys (8-6), but they slip to third based on the tie-breaker, which since they split the season series against both those teams, is record in the division.

Right now the Redskins are 3-1 in the NFC East. The Cowboys are 3-2. The Giants are 2-3.

However, despite all that, the Giants are in pretty good playoff position, thanks to their 7-4 record in NFC games. That gives them a tie-breaker advantage over the Vikings and the Bears, two 8-6 teams in the fight for the second and final wild-card spot. It also helps that the Cowboys and Redskins play each other in Week 17, meaning both of them can't get to 10 wins.

So if the Giants do get to 10, they'll finish at least in second place in the division and get the sixth -- or maybe even the fifth -- seed in the NFC.

Confused? Don't be. Just remember this: It's win and in for the Giants, which is what Tom Coughlin has been saying all along.
    http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/gia...-their-destiny

vCash
    So in competing with the Vikings and Bears for a WC-ticket we're not screwed by our 3-3(if we win over Eagles) divion tie-breaker? Mmmm, it's getting a little too mathematical for me, but ok, 2 wins and we're in, I like that!

vCash
    I really can't believe how bad yesterday was. Not just how awful the Giants were, but the fact that on the same day the Skins win with a backup QB and the Steelers blow it in OT against Dallas.

Steelers could have helped out a lot.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GGGGG-Men View Post
    I really can't believe how bad yesterday was. Not just how awful the Giants were, but the fact that on the same day the Skins win with a backup QB and the Steelers blow it in OT against Dallas.

Steelers could have helped out a lot.
    Yea there were a few points at the end I thought the steelers had that game..

vCash
    Giants vs. Falcons

Ralph Vacchiano
    + Follow

If the Vikings are the NFC's 6th seed and the Giants are 9th, why is it "win 2 and in" for the Giants? I explain...

It's long and complicated, so get comfortable. Also clip and save ...

The Vikings are the 6th seed and the Giants are 9th NOW, because according to NFL tie-breaking procedures, division ties are broken first, then conference ties.

Currently there are five 8-6 teams: The Redskins, Cowboys, Vikings, Bears and Giants. The first thing the NFL does is figure out who is in first place in each division. The Redskins are in first in the NFC East on tie-breakers, so they get the fourth-seed.

Then, among the remaining teams in the wild-card chase, the NFL breaks the ties in the division first. The Cowboys currently have the tie-breaker over the Giants and the Vikings have it over the Bears. So that "eliminates" the Giants and Bears and drops them to the 8-9 spots.

(By the way, based on conference record, the Giants should be 8th, I believe, but since nothing really matters after 6 I think the NFL just put the "other" teams in alphabetical order).

So how can the Giants be in 9th (or 8th) yet control their own destiny?

Because if they win their last two -- and maintain control -- they'll be 10-6. And since the Redskins and Cowboys play each other in Week 17, only one of them can get to 10-6. So when the season actually is over and the wild-card tie-breakers are applied, a 10-win Giants team won't be tied with another division opponent for a wild-card spot. A 10-win Cowboys or Redskins team wins the division. And the other team will have only 9 wins.

So ... when the season is actually over ... if the Giants are tied with the Vikings and Bears at 10 wins each, there would be no division tie-breaker to prematurely eliminate them, and they'd win the tie-breaker based on conference record (the Giants would be 8-4 and neither of those teams can have 8 conference wins).

Got it?

If you're still confused ... well, you're not alone. But you'll have to trust me. If the Giants win their last 2, they are in the playoffs.

vCash
    Bascally take care of our games and were in. We lose either game we don't deserve it. I want a shot in the playoffs because we know we have what it takes to win it all!
    http://newyorkknicksmemesdotcom.file...73bd8ccc5d.gif
    Amare!!!!

SIM LEAGUE SUNS
    Jason Kidd and Chris webber
    2000-2001 48-34 first round KO
    2001-2002 64-18 first round KO
    2002-2003 55-27. Second round KO
    2003-2004 46-36 second round KO game 7 loss
    2004-2005 42-40
    2005-2006 welcome Glenn big dog

Sig bet with Mr. baller on Yankees making the playoffs loser has to hold
    SIG of the winners choice for entire playoffs

vCash
    Patricia Traina‏@Patricia_Traina

It's crunch time for the Giants. If they don't win this weekend and WAS, DAL win and SEA wins or ties, the Giants are out.

Va...heart between Giants Stadium and MSG
    vCash

It's crunch time for the Giants. If they don't win this weekend and WAS, DAL win and SEA wins or ties, the Giants are out..*
    WOOOOOOOOW! Unbelievable!

I really can't believe how bad yesterday was. Not just how awful the Giants were, but the fact that on the same day the Skins win with a backup QB and the Steelers blow it in OT against Dallas.Steelers could have helped out a lot.
    This.....I thought last week was just as bad....Ravens blow an 8pt lead to a backup QB and lose in OT Bengal players dropping balls left and right blew a 9pt lead. We should be a game up still. Crazy season
    Last edited by Missing56&33; 12-17-2012 at 06:47 PM.

NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS 18-1 Signature of a Champion!
    ELI MANNING.... 2X SB MVP....2X SB CHAMPION!

vCash
    Of course we COULD clinch this week:

Per NFL.com, the Giants clinch a playoff berth with:

1) Win + WAS loss or tie + DAL loss + MIN loss + CHI loss OR
    2) Win + WAS loss + NO tie + MIN loss + CHI loss

They will be eliminated from playoff contention with:

Loss + WAS win + DAL win + SEA win or tie

The Giants no longer control the division, and they can be eliminated from NFC East contention with:

1) Tie + WAS win + DAL win or tie OR
    2) Loss + WAS win or tie OR
    3) Tie + WAS tie + DAL win OR
    4) Loss + DAL win or tie

What about the rest of the division?

The Redskins can clinch a playoff berth this week with:
    Win + NYG loss + MIN loss + CHI loss

The Cowboys do not have any clinching or elimination scenarios in Week 16. Of course, both they and the Redskins, who meet in Week 17, control their own destiny in the division.
    http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2...ties_to_e.html

vCash
    i still cant believe its come down to this.

vCash
    Cowboys have been running there luck, and NO is just the team to knock them down a peg.
    NYG SB CHAMPS

JFT96

vCash
    win and were in.. I like that..

vCash
    We lose this game were out smh

steal of the draft cleanthony early

vCash
    Of course we COULD clinch this week:

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2...ties_to_e.html
    Wow think about it that packers loss / win against the seahawks hurt us the most

steal of the draft cleanthony early

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nabeshin View Post
    Cowboys have been running there luck, and NO is just the team to knock them down a peg.
    Yeah, I'd really like to see NO put up 40+ pts and see an angry Rob Ryan on the sidelines......since he gets more face time than most HEAD coaches.

Quote Originally Posted by NYKNYGNYY View Post
    Wow think about it that packers loss / win against the seahawks hurt us the most
    This season is all about that Eagles game. Just kick the damn FG and go home.....nope had to toss one up to the endzone. Never mind that they were the first team in years to lose the home opener after winning a Super Bowl.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast