Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Cano Situation.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumper 88 View Post
    Give him 7/175 he's earned it. Would he take it? Idk
    no way, that would put him at 39 making $25m... i'm sick of watching old, slow one dimensional players eating up all our salary.

big contracts in baseball simply DONT WORK... And Cano has never been a TRUE ELITE hitter. he's only hit 30 HR's ONCE, he's never had an OBP higher than .380. Those are very good numbers, but not franchise type numbers. At least Arod was a 40-50 hr .400 OBP 1.000+ OPS player...like Pujols and Hamilton. Cano has never sniffed those numbers.

we need to rebuild, trade Cano & Curtis... add some dynamics to our offense.

Trade the "stars" when its time to pay them huge money... the thing is these star players get huge contracts to play in their post prime years, its so reversed. Meanwhile the team that drafted them gets prime years for next to nothing.

vCash
    How do you replace Cano? How do you replace 200 hits a year? How do you replace 25 hr's? How do you replace someone that hits to both sides of the field? How do you replace all the XBH? How do you replace the GG defense? And the biggest question is how do you replace all of that at the same time?

You Dont...

New York Yankees

Dallas Mavericks

New Jersey Devils
    Seattle Seahawks
    HW: Brock "The White Gorilla"Lesnar
    MW: Lyoto "The Dragon" Machida
    WW: Jonny "BIGG RIGG" hendricks
    LW: Nate Diaz
    FLW: John "The Magician" Dodson
    Dale Earnhardt Jr.
    Favorite Athletes: Dirk Nowitzki, Brock Lesnar & Lyoto Machida

vCash
    When we have a platoon of 2nd basemen bearly hitting .200 with under 10hr's with low OBP, no XBH everyone will be like wtf did we do... Just saying...

New York Yankees

Dallas Mavericks

New Jersey Devils
    Seattle Seahawks
    Dale Earnhardt Jr.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    no way, that would put him at 39 making $25m... i'm sick of watching old, slow one dimensional players eating up all our salary.

big contracts in baseball simply DONT WORK... And Cano has never been a TRUE ELITE hitter. he's only hit 30 HR's ONCE, he's never had an OBP higher than .380. Those are very good numbers, but not franchise type numbers. At least Arod was a 40-50 hr .400 OBP 1.000+ OPS player...like Pujols and Hamilton. Cano has never sniffed those numbers.

we need to rebuild, trade Cano & Curtis... add some dynamics to our offense.

Trade the "stars" when its time to pay them huge money... the thing is these star players get huge contracts to play in their post prime years, its so reversed. Meanwhile the team that drafted them gets prime years for next to nothing.
    So you want to add some dynamics to our offense by trading our best offensive player? ummm...

New York Yankees

Dallas Mavericks

New Jersey Devils
    Seattle Seahawks
    Dale Earnhardt Jr.

vCash
    I like Cano but how will you justify an 8 yr WTF million contract he wants at the end of the year. It will like the second coming of A-rod. Unless he is willing to do 6 yrs, I dont see it.

vCash
    Everyone always ask for the moon... He will probably take a 6-7 yr worth around 150

Cano will be like Jeter (I think) he will always be around 200 hits a season even when old.

New York Yankees

Dallas Mavericks

New Jersey Devils
    Seattle Seahawks
    Dale Earnhardt Jr.

vCash
    Cano is the best hitter we've produced since Mickey mantle.

BUT.....times have changed in Yankee land. Those Arod and Tex deals really opened some philosophical eyes.

Ya see.....at least Arod creates revenue off the field. People are drawn to him, love or hate. But with Bob.....not so much of a public persona. He's all performance, no revenue.
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

Bummer. The Core Be No More.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumper 88 View Post
    How do you replace Cano? How do you replace 200 hits a year? How do you replace 25 hr's? How do you replace someone that hits to both sides of the field? How do you replace all the XBH? How do you replace the GG defense? And the biggest question is how do you replace all of that at the same time?

You Dont...
    you're right you don't.

but at the same time you have to think long term. There was no way to replace Arods 40+ hr's and 120+rbi a few years ago either, but giving him 200m+ was still insane.

Cano at $175m considering the extension starts when's he about 32 years old is also insane. Cano is not even THAT great, the fact that he's the best offensive 2nd basemen in MLB makes him seem like a better hitter than he really is.

How many great years will he give you? Maybe another 3-4? Then that leaves you paying $25m+ to a 36 year old for 3 years.

at some point we need to do a semi-rebuild... i think that time is now. because its either that or give out more horrendous deals to guys like Curtis & cano.

Now if Cano takes 6/150, then MAYBE you consider it... but even that is really pushing it... the market will dictate he's worth more than that though... and I just don't think he is, especially to us.

vCash
    Cano isn't elite because he doesnt regularly hit 30+ HRs and have an extremely high OBP?

LOL

10. 12-05-2012, 12:07 PM
    Reason
    Baiting

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YEDB90 View Post
    Cano isn't elite because he doesnt regularly hit 30+ HRs and have an extremely high OBP?

LOL
    umm yea?

He's very good... but he's not a top tier all around hitter.

He doesn't have a great eye, doesn't get on base all that often, doesn't steal bases, doesn't hit for great power, especially when you consider he's a lefty playing in Yankee stadium.

He's a very, very good hitter. But he's never been an Arod, Pujols, Cabrera, Braun...etc... at that level. Those are the guys that can command $25m... Cano I don't think is at that level.

His career average season is .308 22hr 79rbi with a .350OBP and a .854 OPS... those are not ELITE numbers.

vCash
    Cano is elite, but you're comparing him with guys who will go down as some of the best hitters of all time..that doesn't mean Cano isn't elite...he is easily a top 15 hitter in baseball.

vCash
    Cano is elite, but you're comparing him with guys who will go down as some of the best hitters of all time..that doesn't mean Cano isn't elite...he is easily a top 15 hitter in baseball.
    I guess it depends on your definition of elite.

If you're going to pay a guy $25m+ on a long term deal, I want that guy to be a great all around player... not just a top 15 hitter. Yea he's definitely top 15-20 I would say.

I mean David Wright has better career numbers and is younger and he got what? $19m per? I think that's around where Cano's value lies. Thats why even 6/150 would be hard for me to stomach.

vCash
    I think Bob is the best 2b in MLB and its not close.

I think Bob is one of the best pure hitters I ever saw.

I think Bob is one of the best fielders I ever saw, as far as talented.

I think Bob is one of the weakest mental midgets I ever saw, thereby robbing him of being an all time great.
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

Bummer. The Core Be No More.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    I guess it depends on your definition of elite.

If you're going to pay a guy $25m+ on a long term deal, I want that guy to be a great all around player... not just a top 15 hitter. Yea he's definitely top 15-20 I would say.

I mean David Wright has better career numbers and is younger and he got what? $19m per? I think that's around where Cano's value lies. Thats why even 6/150 would be hard for me to stomach.
    I guess my question is where $25 million a year is coming from. I would pay that to no one set aside Trout (assuming he keeps his pace up/gets even better) because he's SO young.

vCash
    I guess my question is where $25 million a year is coming from. I would pay that to no one set aside Trout (assuming he keeps his pace up/gets even better) because he's SO young.
    Well hey, if we can sign him for a Wright type deal, say 5/90-100m (considering he's 2 years older than Wright)... then i'm all for it.

But if we're talking 6+ years at anything around $25m... trade him... its just not a good long term move.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast