Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Where will Dickey end up?

Voters
157. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rangers

36 22.93%
  • Royals

26 16.56%
  • Mets

20 12.74%
  • Other (please state)

75 47.77%
Page 3 of 65 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leandres_sf View Post
    Sounds like the Mets are over-valuing an aging pitcher. Yes he won the Cy Young, and yes knuckleballers can pitch forever, but if I'm a rival GM, I'm not giving up good young talent for a guy like Dickey.
    Depends on how badly a team wants to win next year and if you are GM of a team of course you are going to overvalue your players to an extent.

If the Rangers don't get Greinke i can see them making a push for Dickey.

vCash
    I don't want Bradley Jr. from the Sox. I'd rather have Brentz and Barnes. Unless Bogaerets is used to get another good young OF

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetsJets0809 View Post
    I don't want Bradley Jr. from the Sox. I'd rather have Brentz and Barnes. Unless Bogaerets is used to get another good young OF
    Don't worry, because the Sox aren't stupid enough (hopefully) to trade our best prospects for an aging knuckleballer.

#BostonStrong

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    Apparently they are very under-welhmed by the offers they are getting for him.
    What? Rajai Davis isn't enough???

And by the way, those pants, they belong to my dad.And they're not really pants,
    they're Lederhosen

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    Don't worry, because the Sox aren't stupid enough (hopefully) to trade our best prospects for an aging knuckleballer.
    The Mets don't have a lot of leverage with the Red Sox.

But if the Red Sox believed they could a WS team next year, i think they would be a better trading partner.

That's why if Dickey is dealt it will ultimately be to the Rangers at least to me.
    Last edited by metswon69; 12-03-2012 at 06:21 PM.

vCash
    I'm tired of people saying Dickey just had a career year acting like he was mediocre in 2011 and 2010.

He's a great pitcher, he's affordable, and is willing to sign a short-term extension for a reasonable price.

vCash
    interesting scenario - though unlikely:

rangers sign greinke AND trade for dickey

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    I'm tired of people saying Dickey just had a career year acting like he was mediocre in 2011 and 2010.

He's a great pitcher, he's affordable, and is willing to sign a short-term extension for a reasonable price.
    Yeah a 3.5 FIP over the last 3 years cumulatively indicates a very good pitcher to me but i am sure some people still believe he is some kind of magician with a gimmick pitch.
    Last edited by metswon69; 12-03-2012 at 06:37 PM.

vCash

To me, it looked like Dickey had good years in 2010 and 2011 but suddenly had a great year in 2012. That being said, I expect him to continue pitching very well for the next 2+ years and really hope the Blue Jays can work out a fair deal for him although I'm not optimistic about the chances of that happening.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    There's reports teams are more interested in Niese than Dickey.

I can see that, Niese is under control for the next 6 years.
    I would probably give up more to land Niese than to land Dickey.

If I wanted Dickey on the Cardinals, I doubt I give up more than a fringe top 75 prospect for him. He is just too old to really want that badly.

We know how good he is. It's when will his decline settle in? He may never even pitch like he did in 10 and 11 again, let alone like in 12. He is a question simply because of his age. Not because of his skills.

vCash

If I wanted Dickey on the Cardinals, I doubt I give up more than a fringe top 75 prospect for him. He is just too old to really want that badly.

We know how good he is. It's when will his decline settle in? He may never even pitch like he did in 10 and 11 again, let alone like in 12. He is a question simply because of his age. Not because of his skills.
    I have no disagreements with concern about his age.

He's a very unique pitcher because how many times do you see a pitcher win a Cy Young at 38 years old? (With a guy who just got a consistent starting pitching job 3 years ago no less)

It's difficult to judge how long he will remain effective because he is such a different knuckleballer than many of his predecessors. He throws it harder, with more control, and was arguably one of the best pitchers in MLB with it last year.

He could legitimately have very similar success next year and in 2014 as well.
    Last edited by metswon69; 12-03-2012 at 06:52 PM.

vCash
    Dickey may be 38, but he was the best pitcher in the NL in 2012. You want him, you have to pay up. Don't get me wrong, any other time I would laugh until I died at some of these offers but Dickey can pitch until he is 42-44 years old (doubt he chooses to go that long), is the reigning CY young winner, and does it all with one pitch. The knuckler he throws is unlike any other.

He may be 38, but if they do trade him, it will sting the other team a bit.
    New York Yankees
    FC Bayern Munchen

Bundesliga: Wins- 25 / Draw- 3 / Loss- 2
    DFB-Pokal-Wins- 5 / Loss- 0 Finals vs Borussia Dortmund
    Champions League- Semi-Finals vs. Real Madrid.

1st Leg- April 23rd in Madrid.
    2nd Leg- April 29th in Munich.

vCash

If you want the better pitcher for the next 3 years at a great price for the caliber of pitcher he is, then you deal for Dickey and not Niese.

Dickey took the next step this season, because he mastered how to throw the high knuckleball. Hitters cannot lay off the pitch and they swing through it so frequently.

His SwStr% spiked to 12.2% from 7.8% in 2011 and 8.4% in 2010. The sacrifice has been less grounders and few more homers, but way more strikeouts.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rangers&MetsFTW View Post
    Sounds like people are blowing out of proportion Sandy's response when asked by 7 different teams "what do you want for your Cy Young winner?"
    Sounds like the mets fo is smoking crack

Him only wanting to sign short term is another issue, not a positive imo. Sorry I dont want my team trading their best spects for a couple years of one guy.

It was still a career, even if he was good in 10-11. Career year dont have to mean they was **** before.

vCash
    If you want the better pitcher for the next 3 years at a great price for the caliber of pitcher he is, then you deal for Dickey and not Niese.

Dickey took the next step this season, because he mastered how to throw the high knuckleball. Hitters cannot lay off the pitch and they swing through it so frequently.

His SwStr% spiked to 12.2% from 7.8% in 2011 and 8.4% in 2010. The sacrifice has been less grounders and few more homers, but way more strikeouts.
    You may have missed my point in that post.

the issue is not his skills. It's his age. He is going to decline, we don't know when though, but he is going to decline, and likely want at least 10 million a year on his next contract. Neise is price controlled and young.

Dickey is clear good, the issue is not his effectiveness, but rather his age and when his decline will set in.

Page 3 of 65 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast