Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 22 of 22
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    7,707
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by cabernetluver View Post
    Your state held a Republican primary, where an adult, with a track record of being an adult, particularly in defense and international affairs, was voted out in favor a Tea Party favorite, who lost. I guess I should say thank you, but what I really feel is that the Senate is a little smaller (at least in the short run, time will tell in the long run) and a person who one could count on is no longer there.

    I don't know what the moral to the story is.
    The moral of the story is easy. We as a nation need to do a better job at showing up and casting ballots every single time we are able. When you let a small fringe of the country more or less make the decision on who is going to be running in the general elections we have significant issues.

    Also in such elections we need to find a way to step back from all the vitriol that is spewed by each side. Murdouck shot himself in the foot well before his rape comment when he trashed Lugar up one side down the other during the primary. With Lugar being a well respected man in this state that was a very poor choice. It poisoned the well of voters from the get go and was something he was never able to overcome.
    French writer Alexis de Tocqueville warned about when visiting this fledgling democracy in the early 19th century that this "American republic will endure until politicians realize they can bribe the people with their own money."

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    6,265
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by hoosiercubsfan View Post
    The moral of the story is easy. We as a nation need to do a better job at showing up and casting ballots every single time we are able. When you let a small fringe of the country more or less make the decision on who is going to be running in the general elections we have significant issues.

    Also in such elections we need to find a way to step back from all the vitriol that is spewed by each side. Murdouck shot himself in the foot well before his rape comment when he trashed Lugar up one side down the other during the primary. With Lugar being a well respected man in this state that was a very poor choice. It poisoned the well of voters from the get go and was something he was never able to overcome.
    I remember quoting Murdoch saying that compromise was doing it his way. I knew then he was a bad choice for public office.
    Here is the question of the day, does anyone think that wealthy people should pay a lower percentage of their income to taxes than middle class people? Don't argue tax brackets, just a simple question. Do you think someone earning 46 million dollars should pay a lower percentage of their income than say someone earning sixty thousand?

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    7,707
    vCash
    1500
    Getting back to the thread at hand though I have little doubt no deal will be reached. There is no give on either side. Both have dug in their heels unwilling to budge. Dangerous game of chicken going on it seems.
    French writer Alexis de Tocqueville warned about when visiting this fledgling democracy in the early 19th century that this "American republic will endure until politicians realize they can bribe the people with their own money."

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    7,707
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by cabernetluver View Post
    I remember quoting Murdoch saying that compromise was doing it his way. I knew then he was a bad choice for public office.
    I remember after the election hearing a reporter state "If I am Mitch McConnel right now I am pissed at the Tea Party" they single handidly made sure that the Democrats retained the Senate and Harry Reid kept his job. The Tea Party Senate candidates outside of Rand Paul have all lost.
    French writer Alexis de Tocqueville warned about when visiting this fledgling democracy in the early 19th century that this "American republic will endure until politicians realize they can bribe the people with their own money."

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    6,265
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by hoosiercubsfan View Post
    Getting back to the thread at hand though I have little doubt no deal will be reached. There is no give on either side. Both have dug in their heels unwilling to budge. Dangerous game of chicken going on it seems.
    I disagree about no agreement, although, it might go into January before it occurs. Here is how it would work. Boehner will want an agreement. If it goes into January, then no one is voting for tax hikes, only tax cuts. The hikes happen automatically. From there, it turns out, there is not a huge difference. They will do the AMT fix. They will come to a compromise on how and what gets cut. Then they will move on to the next thing, because this, according to all the polls, was a huge Republican loser.

    Even if Boehner can't get a majority of his caucus to agree, he can come up with a majority working with Nancy Pelosi.
    Here is the question of the day, does anyone think that wealthy people should pay a lower percentage of their income to taxes than middle class people? Don't argue tax brackets, just a simple question. Do you think someone earning 46 million dollars should pay a lower percentage of their income than say someone earning sixty thousand?

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    19,669
    vCash
    1500
    I just wonder if in the end...neither side budges, we go over the "fiscal cliff" and the response from both parties is to just point fingers at one another.

    Heck, the country is pretty much divide right down the middle anyway, so as always they'll just have both sides' supporters arguing with and blaming one another, as always.

    Business as usual from our dysfunctional political system

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    6,265
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by The Schmooze View Post
    I just wonder if in the end...neither side budges, we go over the "fiscal cliff" and the response from both parties is to just point fingers at one another.

    Heck, the country is pretty much divide right down the middle anyway, so as always they'll just have both sides' supporters arguing with and blaming one another, as always.

    Business as usual from our dysfunctional political system
    The funny thing is, our system was created, intentionally, to not be efficient. The most efficient system would be me as dictator, but, I am pretty sure it would not be a good system.
    Here is the question of the day, does anyone think that wealthy people should pay a lower percentage of their income to taxes than middle class people? Don't argue tax brackets, just a simple question. Do you think someone earning 46 million dollars should pay a lower percentage of their income than say someone earning sixty thousand?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •