Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Congrats to him. There was definitely no one more deserving.

Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin III, and Colin Kaepernick walk into a bar... To watch Russell Wilson win the Super Bowl.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye15 View Post
    to me, that is one of the most interesting parts of watching the game. Whose got next?
    Lebron, Durant, Rose, Kyrie, and Love are no brainers to represent this league going forward.

Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin III, and Colin Kaepernick walk into a bar... To watch Russell Wilson win the Super Bowl.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BklynKnicks3 View Post
    reward a coward for takin a shortcut nice might as well every1 else does
    They should have given it to Melo for not getting out of the first round again.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by torocan View Post
    Bolt set the Olympic record in the 100M, and the World Record in the 400M, and he owns the World Record in all 3.

This was all in London.
    I forgot he set the world record in the relay...

Still, I think what LeBron did was more unprecedented and impressive.

Bolt should have won in 2008...err...if Michael Phelps didn't exist. He set world record in all three races...amazing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BklynKnicks3 View Post
    reward a coward for takin a shortcut nice might as well every1 else does
    Hahahahahahahaha.

Pot, meet kettle.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    If anything, the Olympics is all the more reason to give it to Lebron. He was without a doubt the No. 1 player on a USA basketball team that owned the Olympics. When you throw that in with him winning the MVP and the Finals MVP, there's only one other guy in the history of the sport to accomplish that feat: Michael Jordan. If that isn't worthy of Sportman of the Year, then I don't know what is.
    The rarity of LeBron's accomplishment is mitigated by the fact that what Bolt did was as, or perhaps even more rare. How many sprinters in history have had a year as good as Bolt this year?

I agree with Hawkeye. Bolt is the greatest sprinter ever, but he doesn't have to deal with half of the pressure or media attention that Lebron does. It's a sport that gets worldwide attention once every four years and then no one cares again for the next three. Lebron was spectacular all season long and had one of the greatest redemption seasons of any professional athlete in the history of any sport. Also, Bolt's dominance was expected, whereas Lebron was at a point where most people almost expected him to fail.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye15 View Post
    What makes a bigger story, or, what do people care about more? LeBron has been followed like a puppy dog for years, and the previous 2 scrutinized more than any athlete I can recall. Bolt took up 3 weeks of our lives (1 week really), while LeBron has BEEN the story for 3 years now. Him finally breaking through, meeting and exceeding all the expectations, is a huge reason he won this award.
    Is "how much people care" one of the criteria for selection?..

Quote Originally Posted by ManRamForPrez24 View Post
    What LeBron did this year was more rare than what Bolt did

Maybe if Bolt re-set the world record, or something. Not trying to discredit his accomplishments, but LeBron had a year unlike any NBA player ever has, besides you-know-who.
    See below:

Quote Originally Posted by torocan View Post
    Bolt set the Olympic record in the 100M, and the World Record in the 400M, and he owns the World Record in all 3.

This was all in London.
    Also, while the idea that LeBron got an Olympic Gold Medal is impressive when added to his Finals MVP and regular season MVP, you have to ask yourself, how many players that won Finals MVP, Regular Season MVP, and a title in the same year would've won an Olympic Gold medal but the only reason they didn't was becasue they either weren't allowed to play in the Olympics or they didn't have an Olympics that year?

I'm betting every single one.

I'm not saying LeBron is undeserving because a good case can be made for most of the people on the list. I just think Bolt should've won it considering LeBron was on what most believed was the most stacked team in the NBA and then what was undoubtedly the most stacked team in the Olympics. Bolt cemented his status as the best Sprinter in history...
    Quote Originally Posted by AmsterNat View Post
    How unsurprising. Dude, give up trying to argue with valade. He cut you into little pieces, had you for breakfast, and shat you out.
    Quote Originally Posted by mariner4life View Post
    Valade you have totally owned this thread. Well done
    My fanbase is growing.

vCash
    i think they all have remarkable resumes, but im fine with any choice. im just glad they chose someone that plays one of my favorite sports.

2000 Tiger Woods
    2001 Curt Schilling, Randy Johnson
    2002 Lance Armstrong Cycling
    2003 David Robinson, Tim Duncan
    2004 Boston Red Sox (the whole team lol)
    2005 Tom Brady
    2006 Dwyane Wade
    2007 Brett Favre
    2008 Michael Phelps
    2009 Derek Jeter
    2010 Drew Brees
    2011 Mike Krzyzewski
    2012 LeBron James

crazy how 4 NBA players have been named since the 2000s. phenomenal list.

LETS GO HEAT

vCash
    Nothing like giving that coward this award......teaches kids to be determined and never give up but if that doesnt quite pan out for ya you too can quit, join your mates to take that short cut to a championship in a shortened season.

What a joke.........

"A lot of basketball players today are overpaid & it influences their game & work ethics in a negative way. They've been given things they haven't earned and I think the game has been cheated." - Michael Jordan

"Without honor winning holds no value. When one lacks true virtues, victory becomes empty & the unethical triumphs." - B. Modigliani

#LoyaltyOverRoyalty

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    The rarity of LeBron's accomplishment is mitigated by the fact that what Bolt did was as, or perhaps even more rare. How many sprinters in history have had a year as good as Bolt this year?
    How many basketball players have done what Lebron did last season by winning MVP, winning a title, winning Olympic gold and putting up insane numbers historically? One guy. Michael Jordan.

Is "how much people care" one of the criteria for selection?..
    Yes, it should. Otherwise, what's to stop a NASCAR driver, a bowler or a skateboarder from winning the award? Those are all legitimate sports which require a certain level of athleticism and precision, but not a chance in hell would an athlete win "Sportsman of the Year" from those sports, because no one gives a crap.

Also, while the idea that LeBron got an Olympic Gold Medal is impressive when added to his Finals MVP and regular season MVP, you have to ask yourself, how many players that won Finals MVP, Regular Season MVP, and a title in the same year would've won an Olympic Gold medal but the only reason they didn't was becasue they either weren't allowed to play in the Olympics or they didn't have an Olympics that year?

I'm betting every single one.
    Here's the problem, though. You're underrating how few players win the MVP and the Finals MVP in the same season. I'd have to actually sit down and look at the numbers, but that has to be an incredibly rare feat over the last 30-40 years.

I'm not saying LeBron is undeserving because a good case can be made for most of the people on the list. I just think Bolt should've won it considering LeBron was on what most believed was the most stacked team in the NBA and then what was undoubtedly the most stacked team in the Olympics. Bolt cemented his status as the best Sprinter in history...
    But one thing about sprinters is that their numbers never stand the test of time. He'll always have the golds and he's certainly the greatest among his peers and his era, but someone will undoubtedly come along in the next 10-20 years and best faster. It's inevitable.

But I would argue that players of team sports DO stand the test of time, because their numbers, individual and team accomplishments can be measured among athletes that came decades before them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 3ballbomber View Post
    Nothing like giving that coward this award......teaches kids to be determined and never give up but if that doesnt quite pan out for ya you too can quit, join your mates to take that short cut to a championship in a shortened season.

What a joke.........
    As many stupid posts as I've read ripping Lebron over the last couple of years, I'm amazed that I can still be surprised every time I read something so blatantly ignorant like this.

vCash
    As many stupid posts as I've read ripping Lebron over the last couple of years, I'm amazed that I can still be surprised every time I read something so blatantly ignorant like this.
    lmfao @ ignorant. get your head out your bum.

"A lot of basketball players today are overpaid & it influences their game & work ethics in a negative way. They've been given things they haven't earned and I think the game has been cheated." - Michael Jordan

"Without honor winning holds no value. When one lacks true virtues, victory becomes empty & the unethical triumphs." - B. Modigliani

#LoyaltyOverRoyalty

vCash
    How many basketball players have done what Lebron did last season by winning MVP, winning a title, winning Olympic gold and putting up insane numbers historically? One guy. Michael Jordan.

And how many have done what Bolt did? If that answer is 0 than how is what LeBron did more impressive? If the answer is 1, same thing...

Yes, it should. Otherwise, what's to stop a NASCAR driver, a bowler or a skateboarder from winning the award? Those are all legitimate sports which require a certain level of athleticism and precision, but not a chance in hell would an athlete win "Sportsman of the Year" from those sports, because no one gives a crap.

I see what you're getting at, but it's a terrible example for a number of reasons.

1). NASCAR is actually very popular and lots of people "give a crap" about it over other sports where people have won the award, such as:

2). Golf (Tiger)
    Swimming (Phelps)

Which shows me that a Sprinter should absolute win the award if what they did was impressive enough, and to me what Bolt did was.

But one thing about sprinters is that their numbers never stand the test of time. He'll always have the golds and he's certainly the greatest among his peers and his era, but someone will undoubtedly come along in the next 10-20 years and best faster. It's inevitable.

Who's to say LeBron's numbers wlil stand the test of time? Heck, the guy he now tied for his feat, MJ, last played like 10 years ago...

But I would argue that players of team sports DO stand the test of time, because their numbers, individual and team accomplishments can be measured among athletes that came decades before them.
    Fair enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmsterNat View Post
    How unsurprising. Dude, give up trying to argue with valade. He cut you into little pieces, had you for breakfast, and shat you out.
    Quote Originally Posted by mariner4life View Post
    Valade you have totally owned this thread. Well done
    My fanbase is growing.

vCash
    Funny a thread about Lebron James and no Justinnum1

I should make a thread praising Melo and then get out the timer
    Quarterback Class of 2004 1st Round starters

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Zo View Post
    They should have given it to Melo for not getting out of the first round again.
    Ouch

That may change this year

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 3ballbomber View Post
    lmfao @ ignorant. get your head out your bum.
    People rip Lebron for playing with star players instead of sticking with a franchise that failed for years to get him a decent supporting cast, but how many other all-time greats won titles without other all-time greats? Aside from Hakeem in 94 and arguably the 2004 Pistons team, none. Criticizing a guy for playing with other great players and calling him a quitter is completely ignorant, and you're clearly not very knowledgeable about the history of the league.

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    And how many have done what Bolt did? If that answer is 0 than how is what LeBron did more impressive? If the answer is 1, same thing...
    Being the first to do something doesn't necessarily make what you did more impressive than doing what someone else did. I would argue that while sprinting is a classical sport worthy of praise, sprinting requires FAR less skill than basketball, football, baseball, etc. I have no doubt that there are some world class sprinters player professional sports, but who opted to make more money and train to use their speed in another way.

I see what you're getting at, but it's a terrible example for a number of reasons.

1). NASCAR is actually very popular and lots of people "give a crap" about it over other sports where people have won the award, such as:
    2). Golf (Tiger)
    Swimming (Phelps)

Which shows me that a Sprinter should absolute win the award if what they did was impressive enough, and to me what Bolt did was.
    Tiger and Phelps are anomalies, not the norm. What Tiger did completely redefined the game. He took a niche sport and MADE it popular. As for Phelps, I would argue that his accomplishments in 2008 far outweigh what Bolt did this year. He also has more medals than any athlete in the history of the Olympics.

Also, it's worth noting that both of those athletes are American, as is Lebron. ESPN predominantly focuses on American sports. It's only natural than an American athlete would win something like this over a Jamaican athlete if the accomplishments were equally impressive.

Who's to say LeBron's numbers wlil stand the test of time? Heck, the guy he now tied for his feat, MJ, last played like 10 years ago...
    There isn't any way to prove it, but MJ's numbers from his prime have lasted for more than a decade and for Lebron to touch MJ, he'll need at least another 5-6 years and a number of team and individual achievements. That's two decades worth of separation. And before MJ, there had never been anyone close to his statistical level of dominance.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast