Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: How good of a team is this?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Realistic, Long and Short Term Contender

2 13.33%
  • Realistic, Long Term Contender

1 6.67%
  • Realistic, Short Term Contender

6 40.00%
  • Realistic, Not a Contender

1 6.67%
  • Not Realistic

5 33.33%
    vCash

Mell413's Cubs Mock Offseason

Remember, these are not based on what you think what will happen or whether or not the players want to come to Chicago. Vote based on whether the deals and trades are realistic and whether the team is a contender or not.

FA Signings
    Nyjer Morgan 4/1
    Kameron Loe 3/1
    Marcum 18/2 (8 in 2013)
    Liriano 16/2 ( 7 in 2013)
    Blanton 18/2 (8 in 2013)
    Casey McGhee 2/1
    Derek Lowe 5/1

Trades
    Travis Wood, DeJesus, Vogelbach, Barney for Shin Soo Choo and Nick Hagadone

McNutt, Logan Watkins, Josh Vitters, Ben Wells, and Matt Szczur for Jed Lowrie and Wilton Lopez

Marmol + 3 million to Angels for Hank Conger

Baez, Brett Jackson, Ronald Torreyes for David Wright

Lineup
    C- Castillo- .5
    1B- Rizzo-.5
    2B. Lowrie -2 million (arb guess)
    SS- Castro- 5.8 million
    3B- Wright- 16 million
    LF Soriano- 19 million
    CF- Morgan -4 million
    RF- Choo- 8 (arb guess)

Sp- Garza -10 million
    SP- Samardzija- 3 million
    SP- Liriano- 7 million
    SP- Marcum- 8 million
    SP- Blanton- 8 million

Bullpen
    Loe- 3 million
    Lopez- 1.2 (arb guess)
    Russell - .9
    Vizcaino- .4
    Hagadone- .4
    Bowden- .4
    Lowe- 5

Bench
    McGhee- 2
    LaHair- .4
    Sappelt-.4
    Conger- .4
    Valbuena- .9

MLB payroll- 107.6 million
    Soler/Concepcion + remaining 40 man- 9.3
    Total-$116.9 million

I may have gutted the system a bit, but in doing so I think I put a competitive team out there. Plus with fewer players reaching FA every year it's best to get them before they hit FA. I think I upgraded the team offensively and defensively. Although I'd admit I'm not sure if that package is enough for Lopez/Lowrie. I think we could use someone to compete with Castillo so that's where Conger comes in. I think it could be a nice platoon.

The starting pitching might be a little weak, but if things go right I think it's solid. Although it's not deep. Some may say I overpaid for Liriano and that might be true, but this team could use an arm with that kind of upside. Even if he pitches like last year it's still not a huge overpay and he has the potential to do more. Blanton gives the team innings. Marcum is an injury risk, but he's one I'm willing to take a chance on. This team doesn't have a true ace, but I think it's good enough to keep the team in most games. Who knows maybe Garza reverts back to his 2011 form and we can have our ace?

The bullpen might seem a little weak, but I think there is potential there besidesBowden who is basically for mop up duty. Kameron Lowe had a bad year last year, but I think he can bounce back. He's not your ideal closer, but he won't walk the world and there are signs he can bounce back. Derek Lowe gives the team a swingman. Plus maybe with the infield D they can make him look better.

Overall, I think this gives us a competitive team although it did hurt the system a bit. But we do have the #2 pick in the 2013 draft along with a bigger budget so we can replenish it. In the event that this team doesn't perform there are enough guys there that you can get something good for them at the deadline and then reload for 2014.

Andy's List of Secrets

vCash
    I think this is my favorite mock offseason in this game so far. I like the Indians trade but I would prefer Masterson over Hagadone, though I do like Hagadone. If something ended up being Hagadone in Choo though I would ask for another prospect in the 10-15 range like Jake Sisco.

Love the Wright trade and I would do it everytime. Wish he wasn't extended, big big fan of him.

Like the Lowrie trade but take Wells out and put in Whitenack. I think he's worth holding on to.

Also, love Hank Conger move for Marmol. Gato should like that haha.

Only real move I question is Nyger Morgan. I can't stand the guy, he's a headcase and I think he would be detrimental to this team. Otherwise very nice offseason.

Realistic and short term + long term competitor for me.

vCash
    I don't know if that gets it done for wright, but I like it.
    Save the kittens, ignore sbs' posts
    Red Sox hater since 10/2011

It is anyway, not anyways.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gaughan333 View Post
    I don't know if that gets it done for wright, but I like it.
    I share this sentiment.

vCash
    Pretty good, just don't know about the rotation holding up.

The lineup is pretty solid though. If healthy this team would be a contender.

vCash
    You gave up nearly all of our farm and assembled a team of guys who are either 30+ or seeing a decline in their performance. Not a fan of this one.

1934 1938 1961 2010 2013

vCash
    Like everything but the Wright trade. That kinda killed the mock for me. It's not an overpay for Wright, I just don't want him. He may have a few more years of his prime but he's become league average or worse defensively. His value is tied to the bat which is damn good but he's a good bet to regress and that contract is too long.

If I'm trading Baez+, I'd hope to get someone on the front end of their prime rather than the back end.

vCash
    Pretty huge overpay in the Indians trade. I'm always willing to overpay a little, but that's a big time overpay.

I like buying low on Conger.

vCash
    Morgan /sappelt would platoon in case you didn't assume that. There's no one I would lose sleep over in the choo trade. I gave up some of the farm but the team would win a lot of baseball games. But I think I gave the team a legit 4-5 year window to win in theo's time. Keep in mind too we can probably support a $150 payroll. So you could easily sub in a greinke/Upton for liriano/Morgan. Appreciate the feedback!

vCash

vCash
    I couldn't approve of a team with Nyger Morgan.
    All I do is hit. I even hit your mother once. Yep, hit it good.