Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

The 2010 Heat/2012 Laker Comparison

I've seen a lot of different opinions regarding the comparisons here, and I'd like to delve into it a little further, since it's a pretty popular topic of conversation. We all the know the current record for the Lakers and the Heats record of 2 years ago. However, I'm baffled at how much people are under rating the effect a Steve Nash would have on a team like this. Remember, Miami despite having Miller and Haslem out for majority the season, at least had their big guns healthy for the most part and you could simply attribute the slow start to a lack of chemistry. They were fortunate in that regard as you could say. Point being, the Lakers still have some moving parts to fall into place before we can judge the experiment as a whole. Here are some other things I'd like to throw out as food for thought.......

1) Miami wasn't given the easiest schedule to kick things off. They had to go to Boston, a team with championship pedigree, and play a game with all eyes on them. Within the next couple of weeks, they played 7 (3 of them on the road) playoff teams including the eventual champion Dallas Mavericks along with Boston a second time.

2) LA has had the easier schedule in comparison, but remember Nash sustained a serious injury in the second game @POR. He's the guy thats most likely going to make things go and will allow the offense to flow more smoothly. The PGs the Lakers are rolling with currently are Darius Morris and Chris Duhon. If you can't see the problem there, then I don't know what to tell ya.....You should see a big difference when Nash/Blake come back.

3) For as bad as we think the Laker bench is, it's better than what Miami had in 2010. The Heat never had a capable scorer in Jamison, nor a capable backup PG (see above). UD and Miller were suppose to be the two players to perfectly compliment LBJ, Wade, and Bosh. With both of them out, their best complimentary players were Big Z, Bibby, Joel Anthony, and Eddie House. D'Antoni isn't going to play the bench all together on the floor at once (he isn't known for that), but with Nash/Howard on the court with them, along with maybe Kobe, bench production might not be anywhere near as bad as we may think.

4) There were many games where it was pretty much required for the Big three to score close to 75-80% of the total points for the Heat to even have a chance to win against decent teams. Until at least the ECF that year, they never got consistent efforts elsewhere. With the Lakers, MWP has been pretty damn good. I was skeptical of him to start the year, but he's shut me up so far.

5) Lastly, Pau is virtually in the same position currently as Bosh was in 2010. Eventually, Bosh definitely found his way and there's not much reason to believe Pau can't find his niche. He played PF with Bynum, and won 2 'ships. Granted, the system Mike D is trying to implement isn't the best for his skill set, and he might be traded at some point. But we should treat this as a wait-and-see approach, because again, Nash is out. Dwight isn't a guy I worry about, because he doesn't need to change his game, nor has he even entertained the notion.

If I'm missing anything I'd like to hear what you all think. There are similarities and there are differences. But some of you guys either think that the situations are the exactly the same, or take things to the other extreme. The reality is that there is middle ground. When this Laker team gets healthy, things will be just fine in LA-LA land. Let's not make the same overreactionary mistakes we did with the Heat, and attribute it to the Lakers today. People overreacted badly to the Lakers' loss to the Magic last night....and I felt it was necessary to voice some reason in regards to this team.

vCash
    LAL will be fine... just take a look at how poorly NY performed without a PG under D'antoni.

vCash
    You could have made your point in 2-3 sentences; Nash will not make much of a difference, he'll only make their defense worse. LA offense is best going through Howard and not Nash IMO.

vCash
    dude bibby didnt join us until later on, remember we had carlos arroyo.

YUCK.

LETS GO HEAT

vCash
    arroyo lol.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dnewguy View Post
    You could have made your point in 2-3 sentences; Nash will not make much of a difference, he'll only make their defense worse. LA offense is best going through Howard and not Nash IMO.
    What you think is best doesn't matter, when you factor in who the coach is. In his mind, posting up is the most inefficient way to score. Again, without Nash the offense isn't as good as it should be. Healthy Dwight Howard by himself makes the Lakers good defensive team statistically. It was an issue last night, but within the last week, it hasn't in my opinion.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Im_in_Mia_bish View Post
    dude bibby didnt join us until later on, remember we had carlos arroyo.

YUCK.
    Even further enhances my point......

vCash
    man thinking back to 09, mario chalmers has come a long way since his rookie season.

he needs to continue to improve tho.

LETS GO HEAT

vCash
    I think another big difference is the fact that the Lakers play in the tougher of the 2 conferences. I think LA will be fine, but they can't afford to fall too far behind even if it's still early.

vCash
    I hate the comparison because for one, the big 3 were in their primes. The Lakers only have one guy in his prime and he is costing us games with his FT shooting.

The Lakers are their record. An inconsistent .500 team. I think they can get it together. I just don't know when but getting Nash back can be a start.

Still, I think the Lakers need to make a few more moves like getting a backup SF and PG that can run and shoot. The philosophy Mike D preaches requires speed and shooting which the Lakers lack. I also think Pau is a bad fit at this point. However, Howard is so bad with his FTs, we may be forced to keep Pau so Dwight can sit in the 4th quarter.

GO LAKERS

vCash
    Don't like the comparison at all...

For one, the biggest difference is the lockeroom chemistry. Never did we hear about players calling each other out. The Lakers are at each other's throats and its actually pretty funny.

Then, the instability that the organization is showing is also completely different. We stuck it out with Spo, which turned out to be a great decision. Pau Gasol is as good as gone and Dwight Howard pretty much already opened the door for speculation to come in about him staying or leaving.

And the Lakers are losing to trash teams, the Heat lost to good teams such as you said. I don't think Nash will make enough of a difference when he comes back. He looked useless in the Lakers offense when he was healthy.

vCash
    honestly the lakers aren't much different talent wise (with nash out) right now then they were at the end of last season. they still don't have much of a bench which was a problem last year. and now they just have howard instead of bynum, and since nash has been out it's been morris instead of sessions. untill they get nash back and see how that is all gonna work they really aren't dramatically more talented then last season at the moment imo. howard is better than bynum but he's not 100% and his poor ft% helps narrow the talent gap, which isn't massive to begin with.
    Last edited by SportsFanatic10; 12-03-2012 at 12:34 PM.

vCash
    im gonna hold judgement on the lakers.. too early.

however i do think that the 2010 heat and this years lakers are very different from each other.

with that said, i expect the lakers to figure it out, time will tell if that will actually happen or not.

LETS GO HEAT

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dnewguy View Post
    No

vCash
    5 makes no sense, bosh has the entire paint to himself and pau has to share it with the best 5 in the league. they are no where near in the same position.
    @mvbisecco
    follow me on twitter and i'll follow you
    SMOKE WEED ERR DAY

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast