Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

vCash

Rangers exploring trades for Shields, Dickey

The Rangers are discussing a trade for Rays right-hander James Shields, according to FOX Sports' Ken Rosenthal.
    The Rangers have also been connected to Zack Greinke and some of the other free agent starters, so this could a case of a team simply exploring all its options. Shields, 30, posted a 3.52 ERA, 1.17 WHIP and 223/58 K/BB ratio in 227 2/3 innings this past season for Tampa Bay. The Rays will want a package of good prospects in return. Source: FOX Sports

TR Sullivan of MLB.com reports that the Rangers are interested in trading for R.A. Dickey.
    The Mets still want to sign Dickey to an extension, but trading him is a real option if a new deal can't be worked out. The Royals have also expressed interest in the knuckleballer, with CBS Sports' Jon Heyman reporting that there are 6-7 teams that have put in a call to the Mets asking about the NL Cy Young winner. Dickey was a first-round pick of the Rangers back in 1996 and pitched for them from 2001-2006. Related: Rangers

Both of these are interesting aspects. The first of the two obviously has the most impact becuase Shields is much younger than Dickey. However, it is believe that the Rays are asking a field day for him. We would probably have to give up 2 or 3 elite prospects to get him. Also, while Shields is good, I am not sure he is quite an ace yet. Many believe he is a very solid #2, which we already have in Darvish. If we have to give up the farm, I am looking to get an ace.

As goes with Dickey. There are obviously the risks, he is 40 years old. We probably wouldn't have to give up as much to get him, but he is going to need a contract extension anyway, and we will at least have to give up a very top premiere prospect to get the CY Young winner. Knuckleballers historically pitch longer, but there is a lot of risk coming with him as well.

Basically it comes down to this.

Give up the farm to get Shields, a legit #2 starter with the potential to build up to a #1. Again, you will have to give up at least 2 premiere prospects and probably a third to get him, then look to sign to an extension.

Give up at least one premiere prospect and probably another one or two middle levels to get Dickey. A Cy Young winner, but 40 year old who is running off one good season late in his career. You will also have to sign to an extension before a deal is finalized anyway.

Shell out $160 million on Greinke.

Discuss....
    2012 Texas Rangers Offseason

"I have never used steroids. Period. I don't know how to say it any more clearly than that. Never” -Rafael Palmeiro (4 Months before testing positive for steroids)

Texas Rangers 2010-11 American League Champions!

Indianapolis Colts Super Bowl XLI Champions!

vCash
    Already being talked about in the offseason thread, but so we dont over fill it, im going to make a winter meetings special thread

vCash

MLB Winter Meetings: Rangers News, Notes, and Rumors

Figure we can use this thread for all the news and junk that will pop up over the next few days. Could a mod put vigilantex post in here about dickey and shields

vCash
    Mike Napoli has agreed to a 3 yr 39.5 mil contract with the Boston Red Sox according to league sources.

Too much IMHO, glad we didnt pay that. But dont want to go into next year with Soto as the everyday backstop

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Young2Kinsler View Post
    Mike Napoli has agreed to a 3 yr 39.5 mil contract with the Boston Red Sox according to league sources.

Too much IMHO, glad we didnt pay that. But dont want to go into next year with Soto as the everyday backstop
    I agree. That is a contract that the Red Sox will ultimately end up regretting. He had an amazing year 2 years ago. However, that was an outlier. The Red Sox fans will like his hustle and the way he plays the game. I just think his best days are past him.

Catchers are getting expensive....

Quest to watch a game in all 30 baseball stadiums, so far I have seen: Arizona, Atlanta, Baltimore, Boston, Chicago Cubs, Chicago White Sox, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Colorado, Detroit, Houston, Kansas City, LA Angels, LA Dodgers, Miami, NY Mets, NY Yankees, Philly, Pittsburgh, San Francisco, St. Louis, San Diego, Seattle, Tampa Bay, Texas, Toronto, Washington

vCash
    I don't want to move him, but what would Texas give up for Dickey. Could we get Holland; Gentry, and Lopez for Dickey?
    For the best sports gifs and memes visit
    http://aviewfromthebleachers.tumblr.com/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic_Canon View Post
    I don't want to move him, but what would Texas give up for Dickey. Could we get Holland; Gentry, and Lopez for Dickey?
    Are you thinking of Martin Perez instead of Lopez? We do have a Daniel Lopez in our organization, but he's in A ball, I think.

If so...I think that's too steep of a pricetag honestly. I would probably give you one of those pitchers (if you mean Perez) + Gentry + a lesser spec for him.

Honestly, though, I think you could get a better deal from another team that might be a better fit.

Who needs Josh Hamilton when you can have this for $11m?

vCash
    Napoli: Think I agree with you guys also. 3 years is the kicker for me and considering he really isn't good for much more than 1/2 a season behind the plate, I don't think he would've been worth the pricetag here. Gonna really miss him though.

Shields: The Rays really want a middle of the order type bat, which makes me wonder if adding Cruz to this deal could push it through. I'm torn on how to get a balanced deal done with the Rays by putting Cruz in a deal though. They're still going to want youth, which makes me think they'd want an Olt and Perez, as well.

Dickey: Yes, he's old, but keep in mind that knuckleballers tend to last longer and in some ways, this is the age they seem to hit their prime (Niekro, Hough, Wakefield). If I don't have to give up a Profar, Olt or Perez to get him I'd love to have him back...even if I had to give up our 4th, 5th and 6th best prospects to get him. Rumor is that the Mets really want a haul for him, though, which doesn't make sense to me.

At this stage, I'm hoping for:

Sign Greinke.
    Trade Cruz + Olt + Young (if you can) for Cargo.
    Trade Holland for Arencibia/D'Arnaud.

I'd rather get Upton in a deal, but I'm guessing we're going to have to use Holland to pick up catching. I don't believe the Rangers really want Soto starting everyday behind the plate.

vCash
    Found these...

The Rangers have been the most aggressive team so far on the Hamilton front, a source tells Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports (Twitter links).
    Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/#wHcAHbOPLH8QCoRD.99
    Zack Greinke Rumors: Monday
    By Steve Adams [December 3 at 1:26pm CST]
    Zack Greinke figures to sign one of the two largest contracts of the offseason, and could do so before the 2012 Winter Meetings end. His agent, Casey Close, told reporters yesterday that it won't take him more then 24-48 hours to see if he can get a deal signed before he leaves Nashville. Here are Monday's Greinke rumors, with the most recent updates topping the list...

When it comes to a willingness to spend on Greinke, the Rangers are "right there" with the Dodgers, according to Joel Sherman of the New York Post (Twitter link). Sherman also says the Nationals remain in contact with Greinke, though the Angels seem to be falling out of the running.

Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post tweeted this morning that the Rangers and Mariners seemed to be the Nats' top competitors for LaRoche.
    The Phillies have interest in the Rangers' Michael Young for third base, but they'd need Young to approve the trade and the Rangers to pick up part of the tab. Young, 36, is owed $16MM in 2013, though part of his salary is deferred.
    Last edited by stipe1280; 12-03-2012 at 04:04 PM.

vCash
    If the Phillies would pick up Young, I would attempt the first back flip of my life!

LaRoche would be a very good addition to this team.

I love/hate this time of year! All I keep thinking about is baseball!

Quest to watch a game in all 30 baseball stadiums, so far I have seen: Arizona, Atlanta, Baltimore, Boston, Chicago Cubs, Chicago White Sox, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Colorado, Detroit, Houston, Kansas City, LA Angels, LA Dodgers, Miami, NY Mets, NY Yankees, Philly, Pittsburgh, San Francisco, St. Louis, San Diego, Seattle, Tampa Bay, Texas, Toronto, Washington

vCash
    The deal for Soria is reportedly for 2 years in the 8-9M range

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cursed Rangers View Post
    The deal for Soria is reportedly for 2 years in the 8-9M range
    Seems a bit high considering he's coming off Tommy John. He was on my "want" list, though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by stipe1280 View Post
    Seems a bit high considering he's coming off Tommy John. He was on my "want" list, though.
    Doesn't seem like $4M+/year is too steep when catchers who are batting in the .230 range are getting $10M+/year.

The only drawback to this is that the Rangers will have Feliz, Colby, and Soria all coming back from major arm injuries.

The Rangers have seemed to want Soria for a number of years. Not surprised to see him sign with us.

Also, as Newberg points out, relievers have a fairly decent track record of bouncing back from Tommy John (ex, Nathan).

vCash
    That's cheap on Soria, considering guys are getting 3 guaranteed years for 6 mil a year, and not nearly as dominant as Soria has been.

Perfect 8th inning guy, another solid move by JD and Co

vCash
    Dan Plesac ‏@Plesac19

Word around here (Nashville) at the #WinterMeetings is that the #Rangers very much in on Hamilton AND Greinke.
    Both? Can't see it happening. Make me pick...I want Greinke

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast