Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Should Salary Matter in MVP Voting?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

2 6.67%
  • No

28 93.33%

Thread: MVP and Salary

vCash

MVP and Salary

I was listening to Nate Silver on the BS Report and he brought up a very interesting point. Mike Trout cost the Angels virtually nothing whereas Miguel Cabrera made around 20 million. It got me thinking, should salary matter when deciding MVP? Remember, in a vacuum, a player making less money is more valuable to a team in terms of winning because it offers up more payroll flexibility to add more talent. Obviously this isn't a vacuum, but I'm just curious to see what people think of this. I think it has to mean something.
    We're better than you
    And we know it

vCash
    I don't think so. The MVP should be about what the player does on the field.

Ariana Grande

vCash
    No, the money a player makes shouldn't matter, only play on the field.

Michael Morse High-Fives Himself dot gif

vCash
    That is similar to saying that Cabrera was willing to move to third base in order for the team to sign Fielder and become much better so he had more value. Neither of these things should have much of an impact on MVP voting.

vCash
    It's all what you deem as valuable. There's nothing wrong with someone considering salary in their evaluation. I certainly wouldn't place too much significance on it.

vCash
    I think that it's less of a bullsh*t argument than the ones around whether or not the players team makes the playoff, because it directly related to a players "value".

That being said, I'd just rather they gave out this reward based on what it should be... who played the best.

vCash
    Don't think it should really matter

San Francisco Giants Trophy Wall

vCash
    Money should have zero impact on determining MVP.

vCash
    An efficiency award has been kicked around as a cynical joke on the Cubs board. The salary has nothing to do with MVP voting, or who is or is not going to have a good year in a given year.

vCash
    They keep track of efficiency based on pay fwiw. There just isn't an award for it. It's sort of out of the players control, so I don't see the merit in awarding anything over it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan View Post
    That is similar to saying that Cabrera was willing to move to third base in order for the team to sign Fielder and become much better so he had more value. Neither of these things should have much of an impact on MVP voting.
    This exactly.