Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Formation of the N.W.O

8 61.54%
  • Montreal Screw Job

5 38.46%
    vCash

Great Debate Vol. 1: Bigger impact on the business

So I was pm'ing back and forth with Dmac and coming up with an idea to spark some debate between people here in the wrestling forum. With wrestling being pretty poor recently I though this might be able to give us something fun to talk about and something that we can be passionate about. All posters are welcome to debate. Just remember it's only a debate let's not get heated and get in trouble.

That said every Tuesday/Wednesday I'll come up with a new comparison thread where we can debate who was better, who made a bigger impact, who was longer lasting etc.

I wanted to start this new weekly discussion with a bang! What had a bigger impact on the Wrestling business today: The formation of the N.W.O or the Montreal Screw Job?

Catches: 6 Yards: 72 TDs: 1

vCash
    I went with the Montreal Screwjob since it brought us (unintentionally) heel VM. That led to every feud we enjoyed in the late 90s(VM vs SCSA, The Rock vs SCSA, The corporation, the corporate ministry, mcmahon- helmsley faction, ect). And it paved the way for Stephanie and Shane to become on screen characters which led to many other moments as well.

It had a weird trickle down effect. Was VM event thinking of being anything more than a commentator before the Montreal Screwjob?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Hinkie
    "I'm probably pretty boring to watch a game with because I''m all about expected values. I don''t even care if it goes in or not, I'm all about, 'Should it go in?'' I can live with randomness. I mean, if it''s a close game in the end, yeah, I''m just like anyone else. But I just want us to play the odds all the time."
    TerminH1NK13

vCash
    I like this idea alot. Let me get the discussion going by saying that I think the Montreal Screwjob was bigger because it helped jump start the Attitude Era and the feud between HBK and Hart was far bigger than just something to watch on TV, they had legit beef with one another off screen and took their hatred for each other to the forefront

Props To CheapTrikz For The Sig

vCash
    Montreal didn't bring on the Attitude Era. Everytime someone in the business talks about WCW and the NWO they talk about how that is what pushed Vince and the WWE to be better.

Also the NWO caused for the first time in history that Vince and the WWE were not number 1. The NWO propelled the greatest time in the industry.

vCash

Great Debate Vol. 1: Bigger impact on the business

Nwo and to be honest it isn't even close

Nwo was a brand a Montreal screw job didn't make money or help the company it was a storyline that people still talk about today

Nwo for many reasons they were WCW. The reason for the Monday night wars was NWO. The reason wrestling was hot and pulled in massive ratings even an 8 rating once was because of the Nwo

The Nwo had is own PPV yea it sucked but they had there own ppv

WCW was going to run a WCW v Nwo programming against each other

Wrestlers were fighting backstage and drawing straws to be a member of the NWO

Nwo reached celebrity status

The Montreal screw job was great and the wwe would still be in business if the Montreal screw job never happened

The reason WCW was in business and then ran out of business was in part because of the NWO

The Nwo name is probably the greatest stable/family in wrestling history

The Montreal screw job just captures your imagination and makes you think about the politics in wrestling and made you feel like something was going on back stage for real and to this day no one knows 100% it's great but it isn't an "impact"

WCW and Kevin Nash and some fans believe if Bret hart never got hurt and gave WCW and the Nwo legitimacy it could have been the end for the wwe and Bret could lead WCW and the Nwo past the wwe forever. Thats an impact But Bret got hurt by Goldberg so the rest is history

But no doubt in terms of for wrestling Nwo had the bigger impact

First Sim League Title!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metsbulls1025 View Post
    Montreal didn't bring on the Attitude Era. Everytime someone in the business talks about WCW and the NWO they talk about how that is what pushed Vince and the WWE to be better.

Also the NWO caused for the first time in history that Vince and the WWE were not number 1. The NWO propelled the greatest time in the industry.
    Nope the Austin 3:16 speech launched the attitude era and probably had a bigger impact in the wwe compared to montreal screw job

First Sim League Title!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Riveramk2 View Post
    Nope the Austin 3:16 speech launched the attitude era and probably had a bigger impact in the wwe compared to montreal screw job
    Nope

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HznErMk97B4

On December 15th 1997 Vince launched the Attitude Era with new logo and everything.

The product in 1996 when Austin made his speech didn't change much.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metsbulls1025 View Post

Ding.

I'm a WWF guy, not a WCW guy and even I know nWo. It's really not close. They revolutionized professional wrestling.

vCash
    I would say that Screwjob was bigger, because there is speculation to this day that it may have been a work. NWO was a storyline, someone said best stable, what about the 4 horsemen??? Towards the end they had a couple different NWO's that fueded.

WHO'S THE DIVA EXPERT NOW???

vCash
    id say the screw job
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

vCash
    Nwo by far.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrigheyes4MVP View Post
    Lololololololololol

This is the man you choose represent PWW and fight me for my PWW title?!?!?!

This is going to be my easiest PWW match EVER!!!!

I can't stop laughing at the thought of you making up your mind and deciding that Mbellz being your choice.

This is going to be a piece of cake.

12 - 15 - 13 The Day Mbellz killed the IWC and became The PWW Champion of The World

Dmac is offline Moderator Cullen Bohannon
    vCash
    I have to go with the NWO. It was a game changer. The Montreal screwjob doesn't happen if Bischoff doesn't use Turners checkbook to get Hogan, Hall and Nash. Vince overpaid Bret in a panic situation because he didn't want to lose another guy to WCW.

Then they were deep in the red and had to change the product and let Bret go. They were both historic but everything changed because of the NWO being formed.

vCash
    Formation nWo hands down. Although the Montreal Screwjob did help WWF get passed WCW in the ratings by creating Mr. McMahon and then his subsequent feud with the Rattle Snake himself for a couple years...good times were had in those mid to late 90s