Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Billups vs knight (stats)

I see it's a couple fans writing knight off as a pg but compared to billups some might want to reconsider. This thread is for the ones (u know who u are) writing knight off when it's only his 1st full year. Now we can see the facts instead of making up lies and assuming u be the judge, I personally think knight will be a nice pg in due time he is still learning.

chauncey billups stats:

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/chaunc...eer_stats.html

brandon knights stats:

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/brando...eer_stats.html

vCash
    I love Brandon Knight. I said back in 2010 that I want him in Detroit. The only thing I have an issue with right now is his turnovers and fg%.

vCash
    http://www.detroitbadboys.com/2012/9...player-preview

Knight entered the league in a dream scenario-- he joined a team without a point guard that needed him for heavy minutes right away. He led all rookies in minutes played and shot attempts, a right usually reserved to the cream of the crop draftees. Just look at the last few years of Rookie of the Year voting-- the guy who gets the most burn and the most touches usually always wins. Blake Griffin, Kevin Durant, Chris Paul, etc. Yet every once in a while, you get your Adam Morrisons in there shooting out of their minds to score 12 points on 12 attempts. When given these kinds of opportunities, some players flourish, others flounder. Brandon Knight floundered.

The problem is that the one thing that separates a point guard from a shooting guard is that the guy with the ball has to run a five man offense. Thus far, the evidence that Brandon Knight can do this is either shaky or non-existent.

A leading metric for a point guard's ability to run a five man offense is "assist percentage". This number reflects the percentage of teammate field goals a player assisted while he was on on the floor. Knight assisted 20.8% of his teammate's field goals in 2011-12, which is one of the lowest assist rates for a rookie point guard in recent NBA history. In this century, Knight ranks 122nd in assist percentage amongst rookie guards.

Some people point to the fact that Knight didn't have a summer league or a preseason to get to know his teammates or his coach's system. Neither did Kyrie Irving (36.5% AST), Ricky Rubio (37.4% AST) or Isaiah Thomas (25.6% AST). Others suggest that Knight's assist rate was low because his team shot poorly. Kyrie Irving's Cavaliers, Ricky Rubio's Timberwolves and Isaiah Thomas's Kings all shot worse than Detroit last year.

At some point, we need to set aside the excuses and look at the truth: Brandon Knight was a really, really bad point guard last season.

vCash
    Damnit mike, you're gonna get us all banned. You, shy, gram, me, phenom, gators, all of us. LFLOL might even have to ban himself.

vCash
    Knight may have "better" stats then Billups, but Billups never had articles like that written about him

You only look at the basics, you will never go in debt to the core of a players game

vCash
    we should all just let this one go.

vCash
    You posted one guys opinion & I'm sure when billups was getting passed around the league it was articles like this. So if he was so good he why did he get traded to Toronto from Boston especially when they was in dire need of a pg? If knight was so bad he wouldn't have made the all rookie 1st team. I posted the stats because it was a dumb guy like u who wrote billups off & he became a all star,so the point is u can't predict how good sum1 will be this early remember tyreke evans???
    Quote Originally Posted by shyfly24:24557392
    http://www.detroitbadboys.com/2012/9...player-preview

Knight entered the league in a dream scenario-- he joined a team without a point guard that needed him for heavy minutes right away. He led all rookies in minutes played and shot attempts, a right usually reserved to the cream of the crop draftees. Just look at the last few years of Rookie of the Year voting-- the guy who gets the most burn and the most touches usually always wins. Blake Griffin, Kevin Durant, Chris Paul, etc. Yet every once in a while, you get your Adam Morrisons in there shooting out of their minds to score 12 points on 12 attempts. When given these kinds of opportunities, some players flourish, others flounder. Brandon Knight floundered.

The problem is that the one thing that separates a point guard from a shooting guard is that the guy with the ball has to run a five man offense. Thus far, the evidence that Brandon Knight can do this is either shaky or non-existent.

A leading metric for a point guard's ability to run a five man offense is "assist percentage". This number reflects the percentage of teammate field goals a player assisted while he was on on the floor. Knight assisted 20.8% of his teammate's field goals in 2011-12, which is one of the lowest assist rates for a rookie point guard in recent NBA history. In this century, Knight ranks 122nd in assist percentage amongst rookie guards.

Some people point to the fact that Knight didn't have a summer league or a preseason to get to know his teammates or his coach's system. Neither did Kyrie Irving (36.5% AST), Ricky Rubio (37.4% AST) or Isaiah Thomas (25.6% AST). Others suggest that Knight's assist rate was low because his team shot poorly. Kyrie Irving's Cavaliers, Ricky Rubio's Timberwolves and Isaiah Thomas's Kings all shot worse than Detroit last year.

At some point, we need to set aside the excuses and look at the truth: Brandon Knight was a really, really bad point guard last season.
    Last edited by mike 810; 12-03-2012 at 07:33 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mike 810 View Post
    You posted one guys opinion & I'm sure when billups was getting passed around the league it was articles like this. So if he was so good he why did he get traded to Toronto from Boston especially when they was in dire need of a pg? If knight was so bad he wouldn't have made the all rookie 1st team. I posted the stats because it was a dumb guy like u who wrote billups off & he became a all star,so the point is u can't predict how good sum1 will be this early remember tyreke evans???
    lolll, opinion? Wtf are you talking about ... He posted pure facts in there. Did you read the article? And to add insult to injury, it was written by a piston beat writer. good try mike

Ya, Adam Morrison made the all rookie team, it means nothing

And I never said Knight was bad, I said he isn't a pure point guard

vCash
    Knight could be the perfect PG to play next to a guy that actually runs the offense, we just have to find that SG/SF will the right skill-set, or maybe start running more of a Princeton offense.

vCash
    We need a 21 year old Grant Hill here to play point forward.

vCash
    You sound dumb & this discussion wasn't about knight being a pure pg it was about him being a pg scoring or pure. You also said billups was a pure pg lol when he is a scoring pg just like knight rose westbrook holiday Irving so what are u talking about???
    Quote Originally Posted by shyfly24:24558719
    lolll, opinion? Wtf are you talking about ... He posted pure facts in there. Did you read the article? And to add insult to injury, it was written by a piston beat writer. good try mike

Ya, Adam Morrison made the all rookie team, it means nothing

And I never said Knight was bad, I said he isn't a pure point guard

vCash
    You sound dumb & this discussion wasn't about knight being a pure pg it was about him being a pg scoring or pure. You also said billups was a pure pg lol when he is a scoring pg just like knight rose westbrook holiday Irving so what are u talking about???
    Don't start the baiting again. Be civil at least.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shyfly24 View Post
    Knight may have "better" stats then Billups, but Billups never had articles like that written about him

You only look at the basics, you will never go in debt to the core of a players game

That's laughable. But not that laughable. Only reason Knight had better stats is because he shot more and played more.

vCash
    Knight will be alright. The dude isn't Kyrie Irving but he's young and will learn from those little mistakes he makes.

He's so fast with everything he does. It seems he either has to slow down or master the ability to play fast. If he does the second one, look out.

NBA'S Next Most Dominant Big Man
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGvryuQDtWA
    FIND ME ON TWITTER @pistons_talk

vCash
    I'm not really sure taking 1 year & 20 games to compare any two players is really a good measuring stick.

My biggest concern with Knight is the turnovers. It's not like we're out running and gunning every night so it might be expected he'd have more T/Os. I'd like to see a consisent and minimum 2:1 ratio of assist : T/O, with it approaching 3:1. With several guys we got to bring the ball up, Tay & Stuck/Bynum with the second unit, I'm really concerned about the T/Os.

With no training camp last year and being a rookie, I could give him a pass. But with that not the case this year, it really comes down to mental preparation. It isn't good enough for our PG to say " I thought I could thread it thru there." With our team/record, every possession is critical. We're not good enough to get away with "that would have been a spectactular pass . . ." had it made it thru the lane.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast