Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 49 of 158 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999149 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bruins>habs View Post
    why does Ben want another Multi-positional player? not complaining btw

Pena i assume wants to start so i doubt we'd bring him in, though he is a good first baseman defensively and obviously has power but his average is always too low.

Kotchman idr too much about him but he had a real good season w/ the rays a few seasons ago iirc....he a lefty also ?
    I wouldn't mind bringing in a guy like Ty Wigginton... Can provide some pop off the bench and fill multiple roles when needed.

That may also give us too many short stubby guys on the roster though...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ZHawk1123 View Post
    I wouldn't mind bringing in a guy like Ty Wigginton... Can provide some pop off the bench and fill multiple roles when needed.

That may also give us too many short stubby guys on the roster though...
    well here's what he's done over the past three seasons:

year one: .248/.312/.415 with 22 hrs and 76 RBIs (154 games)
    year two: .242/.315/.416 with 15 hrs and 47 RBIs (130 games)
    year three: .235/.314/.375 with 11 hrs and 43 RBIs (125 games)

Now, i've never really payed a lot of attention to stats like OBP and SLG but i know they're used alot....his avg dropped over the 3 years along with homeruns and RBIs but his games also went down. Is his OBP and SLG good/bad compared to the league?

Also, Wiggy's would be another right handed bat and i really think they need to add a lefty hitting bat, but that's just my opinion

vCash
    There's still hope for all those who are Horny for Hamilton:

Yesterday we learned that Josh Hamilton will give the Rangers the opportunity
    to match any offer another club makes before he signs. Talks were said to progress between Hamilton and the Rangers, but Texas is also in on Zack Greinke, and it's highly unlikely they could sign both. As Hamilton works to determine where he'll play next year.

The Rangers' discussions with Hamilton are "on hold" at the moment, according to Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com, who suggests the team's involvement on Greinke may be the reason for the delay.

vCash
    why does Ben want another Multi-positional player? not complaining btw

Pena i assume wants to start so i doubt we'd bring him in, though he is a good first baseman defensively and obviously has power but his average is always too low.

Kotchman idr too much about him but he had a real good season w/ the rays a few seasons ago iirc....he a lefty also ?
    Between injuries, days off, and some games at catcher - you might need a guy for 55 games.

Gomez and others on the 40 man are AAAA players, not fit to actually try and win with.

Pena isn't worth it, and probably still thinks he can start. Too bad Youk is nuclear waste, he could work in that role. Kotchman isn't the answer either IMO.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    what about Logan Morrison? Can platoon with Gomes in Lf and Napoli at 1B. I wouldn't imagine his value is that high.

vCash
    It makes a lot of sense for us to be targeting multi-position players and to me it comes down to one thing:

Papi.

If we are going to accomodate him during the Inter-league games and god forbid, gulp, the world series we need to be able to put him at first without shifting vital offensive players out of their comfort zone. By signing a guy like Napoli, we can move Ortiz to first and let Napoli catch, which is his natural position, whereas last season we had to shift AGON to right field.

Now, with a guy like Victorino, this is another good move. The inflexible DH is a dying breed. Since we have one of the only one's left, we need to accomodate. With Victorino, now we have the ability to trade Ells right now, letting Victorino play CF. Or, if we wait until the deadline to move Ells, we can then either slide Victorino into center, or keep him in the corner spots to let JBJ have his shot.

Same goes for Gomes. A guy who can play either corner OF spot and can DH as well.

Kalish can play all three OF positions.

They're targeting a guy like Chavez bc he can play third and first, with say someone like Ciriaco playing as a backup utility infielder.
    It makes sense that they are targeting Swisher as well.

Also, for me, I love the make-up that they appear to be going for. Bring back the idiots I say. By the time some of these kids are breaking through next season we should have an excellent blend of youth and experience.

I'm really enjoying this off-season thus far and I think Ben still has at least two big moves up his sleeve. I'm anxious to see who we can deal Ells for?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    Between injuries, days off, and some games at catcher - you might need a guy for 55 games.

Gomez and others on the 40 man are AAAA players, not fit to actually try and win with.

Pena isn't worth it, and probably still thinks he can start. Too bad Youk is nuclear waste, he could work in that role. Kotchman isn't the answer either IMO.
    We are known to have interest in Chavez...maybe he could work, plays third but played some at first last season....lefty and knows his role as a backup, plus he has 2 decent seasons recently in last year and the year before (2011).

looking at the market for first baseman who can play multiple positions:

First basemen
    Lance Berkman (36)
    Miguel Cairo (39)
    Jason Giambi (42)
    Aubrey Huff (36)
    Travis Ishikawa (29)
    Dan Johnson (33)
    Jeff Keppinger (33)
    Casey Kotchman (30)
    Adam LaRoche (33) - declined qualifying offer
    Carlos Lee (37)
    Casey McGehee (30)
    Lyle Overbay (36)
    Carlos Pena (35)
    Juan Rivera (34)
    Mark Reynolds (29)
    Brandon Snyder (27)
    Nick Swisher (32) - declined qualifying offer
    Ty Wigginton (35)
    Kevin Youkilis (34)

Guys Bolded are the first baseman who can play another position

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by win red sox View Post
    what about Logan Morrison? Can platoon with Gomes in Lf and Napoli at 1B. I wouldn't imagine his value is that high.
    Well... he's arb controlled through 2017, and has power. He is a dreadful OF with the glove. I suspect he might cost more in specs than he is worth.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

vCash
    We are known to have interest in Chavez...maybe he could work, plays third but played some at first last season....lefty and knows his role as a backup, plus he has 2 decent seasons recently in last year and the year before (2011).

looking at the market for first baseman who can play multiple positions:

First basemen
    Lance Berkman (36)
    Miguel Cairo (39)
    Jason Giambi (42)
    Aubrey Huff (36)
    Travis Ishikawa (29)
    Dan Johnson (33)
    Jeff Keppinger (33)
    Casey Kotchman (30)
    Adam LaRoche (33) - declined qualifying offer
    Carlos Lee (37)
    Casey McGehee (30)
    Lyle Overbay (36)
    Carlos Pena (35)
    Juan Rivera (34)
    Mark Reynolds (29)
    Brandon Snyder (27)
    Nick Swisher (32) - declined qualifying offer
    Ty Wigginton (35)
    Kevin Youkilis (34)

Guys Bolded are the first baseman who can play another position
    Thanks. Uchhhhh...

If Berkman can be had for a decent price and he's interested he'd be good. Fine leader, big OBP guy, even if his HR power is gone. Just has to have the legs to play 90 games.

Wait. Reynolds plays multiple positions, right? Berkman does as well. Or did you mean two plus 1B?

No to Youk. Swisher unlikely unless Ells dealt.
    Last edited by bagwell368; 12-05-2012 at 11:35 AM.

vCash
    I heard on the radio there could be a possible Gavin Floyd for Salty trade?

I'm interested to know what you all think?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    Thanks. Uchhhhh...

Wait. Reynolds plays multiple positions, right? Berkman does as well.

No to Youk. Swisher unlikely unless Ells dealt.
    Well Reynolds is a horrendous fielder in general, I forgot Berkman plays the corner outfield
    Last edited by bruins>habs; 12-05-2012 at 11:38 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MoVaughnsLunch View Post
    I heard on the radio there could be a possible Gavin Floyd for Salty trade?

I'm interested to know what you all think?
    I think Salty, THIS OFFSEASON, has more value to trade for a better pitcher or something else of need than Gavin Floyd...his numbers are bad over the past 2 years and his last season with an ERA under 4 was 2008. i'd rather sign a Dallas Braden than trade for a Floyd

vCash
    I gotcha. I'm kind of thinking the same. I would love it if we managed to sign Jurrgens and Braden to incentive deals, possibly minor league to start. I think both of those guys have tremendous potential

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MoVaughnsLunch View Post
    I gotcha. I'm kind of thinking the same. I would love it if we managed to sign Jurrgens and Braden to incentive deals, possibly minor league to start. I think both of those guys have tremendous potential
    agreed.

vCash
    Jon Heyman@JonHeymanCBS

#redsox seem willing to talk about just about anyone, even lester and ellsbury. very active here #obvs