Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 156 of 158 FirstFirst ... 56106146154155156157158 LastLast
Results 2,326 to 2,340 of 2366
    vCash
    That's what I thought. Other than draft pick issues, I still don't think he is a fit. I haven't looked at his spray charts, but do they fit fenway?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SoxFan101NlB View Post
    That's what I thought. Other than draft pick issues, I still don't think he is a fit. I haven't looked at his spray charts, but do they fit fenway?
    http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/player/...q=adam-laroche

vCash
    This Napoli deal is taking forever. Im starting to get worried. This looks like JD Drew all over again. Jd never stayed healthy. We should just work away from the deal.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by EEasyA View Post
    This Napoli deal is taking forever. Im starting to get worried. This looks like JD Drew all over again. Jd never stayed healthy. We should just work away from the deal.
    It took 52 days for a contract was reached. That was then now can be different.

vCash
    FYI,

J. D. Drew played 137, 139, 140 games in 3 of his years in Boston.

He was also the 4th best RF (FG) in the AL in 2008 and 2009. We should be happy if Napoli does anything like that.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    FYI,

J. D. Drew played 137, 139, 140 games in 3 of his years in Boston.

He was also the 4th best RF (FG) in the AL in 2008 and 2009. We should be happy if Napoli does anything like that.
    The rest of those games he missed was because he didn't want to return because of a so called injury. Let's face it JD is Brittle. Even Ellsbury has an excuse because his injuries were freaky and he had Beltre who looks like a Nfl Linebacker colliding with him. JD doesn't have those excuses. His injuries were like Hamstrings, wrists in which he took forever to come back from. You would be surprised what type of injuries NFl, Nba,or Hockey players play with.

vCash
    The rest of those games he missed was because he didn't want to return because of a so called injury.
    Excuse me? I've been following the Sox closely for a long time, do you have any pointers regarding this claim?

His injuries were like Hamstrings, wrists in which he took forever to come back from. You would be surprised what type of injuries NFl, Nba,or Hockey players play with.
    This statement has nothing to do with your first statement.

You might want to go take a good look at Roberto Clemente and Al Kaline's games played records. Two HOF RF'ers also missed a lot of games.

According to rWAR - J. D. Drew is the 228th best player of all time. He's 239th all time in OPS+, and according to JAWS the 36th best RF of all time. He was in decline in his last couple of Boston years, but, he was the best fielding RF for the Sox in his first 3 years here since the early/mid years of Dwight Evans.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    Excuse me? I've been following the Sox closely for a long time, do you have any pointers regarding this claim?

This statement has nothing to do with your first statement.

You might want to go take a good look at Roberto Clemente and Al Kaline's games played records. Two HOF RF'ers also missed a lot of games.

According to rWAR - J. D. Drew is the 228th best player of all time. He's 239th all time in OPS+, and according to JAWS the 36th best RF of all time. He was in decline in his last couple of Boston years, but, he was the best fielding RF for the Sox in his first 3 years here since the early/mid years of Dwight Evans.
    No one is saying JD is/or wasn't a good player. He just wasn't healthy enough or took his time coming back from injuries. He got paid the big bucks but wasn't on the field to help us out more. Other than the Word series GrandSlam, i cant remember any Jd drew memorable highlights. Anyways not trying to turn this thread into a JD drew Thread. Anyways Bags what's your opinion on the Mike Napoli deal and what other signings should we make
    Last edited by EEasyA; 12-28-2012 at 11:03 PM.

vCash
    Pg tweets

amidst the spins, Red Sox not interested in three years and surrendering all the ramifications of draft pick on and for LaRoche

vCash
    I feel like we will end up signing Napoli for 2 years at 20 mil. With a team option in the 3rd year for 5 more mil. Something along those lines. Plate appearance, etc as incentives.

vCash
    OK, get rid of him via trade, or watch the pitching staff flirting with a 5.00+ ERA.

Worse comes to worse he hits a ton in April/May and they deal him away, and Lavarnway gets some more work in the minors.
    Completely agree. He's the first one I'd get out of the logjam.

Salty has 10 years in professional ball:
    minors: 396 games @ catcher; majors 358 games @ catcher

Lavarnway has 5 years in professional ball:
    minors: 271 @ catcher; majors 36 games @catcher

Lavarnway has already showed signs of being Salty's superior at catcher, and he has 4 years of control left, while Salty has 1 year left and his trade value has plunged from the height it was at about 5 years ago.
    One of Lavarnway's minor league years was only 22 games in short season ball after he signed. Completely minor quibble but it's more impressive (to me) what he's accomplished in a short time.

Of more significance is that the Sox have him for at least five more years and possibly six. It's true that he's played parts of two seasons but the 2011 games in SEP do not count against his MLB service time (special rules for SEP callups). I think FA requires six complete seasons of ST before FA; if so the Sox have him for a sixth season because his cups 'o coffee amount to less than half a season in total.

Net effect: WAY too many reasons to hold onto the kid and deal his elder.

Quote Originally Posted by SoxFan101NlB View Post
    If you are going to quote an article, please say where it is from. This is not your personal analysis.
    I'll take that as a compliment because it was, in fact, original prose. The mancrush angle has been discussed since at least 2007 and I've been talking about "the book" for two or three years.

No one is saying JD is/or wasn't a good player. He just wasn't healthy enough or took his time coming back from injuries. He got paid the big bucks but wasn't on the field to help us out more. Other than the Word series GrandSlam, i cant remember any Jd drew memorable highlights.
    Hm. How about a 2-run HR to put the Sox within a run of the Rays in an elimination game of the 2008 ALCS after falling behind 7-0 and then getting the GWRBI an inning later? Or maybe being the second leg of back-to-back-to-back-to-back HR vs NYY? There were plenty of Drew moments in the first few years of his contract. More importantly, the entire body of work -- including the great defensive in a very difficult RF that can rarely be adequately measured -- was stellar.

Anyways not trying to turn this thread into a JD drew Thread. Anyways Bags what's your opinion on the Mike Napoli deal and what other signings should we make
    I think you completely missed the point. Bags emphasized the first three years of Drew's deal because Napoli is signed for no more than 3 years. If they get to opt out after year 2, so much the better.

vCash
    Thanks,
    Seems to me his power is to right and center. Doesn't bode well for lots of HR at fenway, maybe a lot of doubles. Or he could take to the papi of recent and try to pepper the wall.
    Last edited by SoxFan101NlB; 12-29-2012 at 01:04 AM.

vCash
    The rest of those games he missed was because he didn't want to return because of a so called injury. Let's face it JD is Brittle. Even Ellsbury has an excuse because his injuries were freaky and he had Beltre who looks like a Nfl Linebacker colliding with him. JD doesn't have those excuses. His injuries were like Hamstrings, wrists in which he took forever to come back from. You would be surprised what type of injuries NFl, Nba,or Hockey players play with.
    Irrelevant. Baseball isn't football, basketball, or hockey.

vCash
    Early years JD Drew would be the this current roster's 2nd or 3rd most valuable position player, potentially 1st if Pedroia goes down again.

vCash
    You should be worried, but because it is likely to be more like a Cameron or Jenks deal.