Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 150 of 158 FirstFirst ... 50100140148149150151152 ... LastLast
Results 2,236 to 2,250 of 2366
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    EEI says Sands might be the centerpiece of the deal along with 40 man roster bum or two - which is all over the Hanrahan thread already...
    Damn I was hoping to see Sands play a little before we moved him.

vCash
    sands and nava maybe? id also like sands to play a little with us first but you do what you gotta do gotta think BC is gonna trade bailey in a deal now we have tazawa, uehara, bard (probably) melancon and probably hanrahan once this trade goes through. Probably trade him in a package deal but who knows

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by EwanSellars View Post
    sands and nava maybe? id also like sands to play a little with us first but you do what you gotta do gotta think BC is gonna trade bailey in a deal now we have tazawa, uehara, bard (probably) melancon and probably hanrahan once this trade goes through. Probably trade him in a package deal but who knows
    I wonder if he is stocking up on these type players, so that way he can create a great value for them. A mini monopoly so to speak. I'm wondering if its like this, "we will have the best bullpen, but if we aren't winning we have plenty of pieces to flip for some good prospects".

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BGeer091 View Post
    I wonder if he is stocking up on these type players, so that way he can create a great value for them. A mini monopoly so to speak. I'm wondering if its like this, "we will have the best bullpen, but if we aren't winning we have plenty of pieces to flip for some good prospects".
    not even a crazy assumption, a year of mediocrity next year, develop the young guys whether it be in minors or some get shots at mlb time, then next offseason flip our deep bullpen for more prospects and you potentially have one of more stocked farm systems in baseball

vCash
    If our prospects continue to grow this year as projected well have a stocked system regardless

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thebrianscal View Post
    not even a crazy assumption, a year of mediocrity next year, develop the young guys whether it be in minors or some get shots at mlb time, then next offseason flip our deep bullpen for more prospects and you potentially have one of more stocked farm systems in baseball

I believe that with the right moves, and patience we could potentially set ourselves up for a Tampa Bay Rays run type of success. What I mean by that is, flipping some veterans and bringing in good young players. So that way we can build a constant contender year in and year out. The important thing here is that we make the right moves. The safe moves. The Rays don't have the money we do, and it might benefit them, in a sense. They can't really go out and sign a guy and handicap themselves for a long time. We can so its really a bittersweet luxury.

Now I don't want what I just said to be taken the wrong way. What I mean by all that is this. I believe that's the best plan, there is in baseball. If it is executed right. We could absolutely execute it right. Over paying for a quality veteran for a year or 2 is something we can do. Where as teams like the Rays don't have the money too. It gives us either a very good player that is a good impact for us. Or a player should we not have the success we want we can just flip for a young player. We could continually keep a competitive team together while growing kids.

Another thing the Rays are so good at is knowing when to move on from a player. I feel like we never have a good idea when to move on. I feel like if at the deadline we are on the outside looking in we need to move on from some players.

I look at our team this year and I see a team that could potentially be in the wild card hunt. As well as the division hunt. Main reason is that every team in our division has a lot of question marks. If we get a few players to have bounce back season then I think we will be a better team then most believe. I do not think we can win a world series though. So I would personally like to see them play it out for the first half of the season. See what we have, and make the smart move. If players are playing well but will have a ton of value we need to move them.

I just feel like we are walking a thin line. This is a crucial time for us. We could potentially strike big. Make the right moves. Acquire some good young prospects, while moving on from some veterans players. Build a core that will routinely produce and be competitive. Or we are going to continue make the wrong moves. Sign players to bad contracts, move some very good young players for over paid veterans that may help us for a year.

I guess that's my thoughts on the Redsox right now... I'm ok with the off season so far. If Josh Hamilton could have been had at 3 years I would have signed him. He wasn't going to sign for that so im glad that we moved on. I like everyone we've signed so far. It's a good first step in the right direction.

vCash
    Long shot, but hopefully we get Jones too.

vCash
    we have so many solid bullpen arms right now we could definitely trade a few of them for prospects to add to our growing farm looks like Bc is setting us up for the longhaul and is making it a lot easier for us to close out games and win unlike last year

vCash
    I feel like we never have a good idea when to move on. I feel like if at the deadline we are on the outside looking in we need to move on from some players.
    EXACTLY. ells needs to get traded before deadline so we can get some return for him before he walks. i agree also where you said this team could be in the wild card hunt next year, but if they are not, even some of the guys they acquired this offseason (the hanrahans, victorinos, napolis) could be flipped to contenders missing that one piece or facing injuries in return for more prospects. If were in the hunt for the playoffs next year by all means we will stay competitive because once october hits anything can happen. But if that deadline does roll around and odds are slim they could easily be making moves with next offseason in mind, acquiring any and all prospects and dumping any salary. their are some decent starting pitching free agents to be next year and the general free agent class next year could be fairly strong. i think if they can continue the pace their at with signing above average veteran players to play along side some high potential prospects, and getting rid of those veterans and getting return value before they walk is the best winning recipe we can put together at this point.

vCash
    What's with the Smoak love? This guy sucks...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bruins>habs View Post
    What's with the Smoak love? This guy sucks...
    its more his potential than what hes shown. Look at his numbers this last month of the season though. They were great right after a few mechanical adjustments were made, so theres hope for him still. Hes not some huge prize more of a lotto ticket.

vCash
    maybe now we can trade bailey to DET. for porcello

vCash
    Is he really an improvement over what we have now?

vCash
    JIM BOWDEN‏@JimBowdenESPNxm

Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News reports that the Indians and Nick Swisher have agreed to a four-year $56 million dollar guarantee
    https://twitter.com/JimBowdenESPNxm

vCash
    Swisher signed for 4X56 I think I would of rather have him with that deal than Victoriano at 3X39.