Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Rule V Draft

vCash

Rule V Draft

Dude 90-91 is low 90's.

And we all know he has mediocre stuff, but he has good command and because of some deception to his fastball he can get swing and misses. He also throws a cutter around 87-88 mph, so that is why his fastball at times seems to have less velocity.

Rodriguez can pitch and has good command and tht is why he has been successful and should continue to do as he has done. He obviously will allow a few homers, but given the fact that he can get strike outs and does not walk many the damage should be moderate when he does.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    Dude 90-91 is low 90's.

And we all know he has mediocre stuff, but he has good command and because of some deception to his fastball he can get swing and misses. He also throws a cutter around 87-88 mph, so that is why his fastball at times seems to have less velocity.

Rodriguez can pitch and has good command and tht is why he has been successful and should continue to do as he has done. He obviously will allow a few homers, but given the fact that he can get strike outs and does not walk many the damage should be moderate when he does.
    88-91 is high 80's touching 91 MPH. That is below average for a RHP.

Rodriguez has good control, but not command. Otherwise he wouldn't leave so many fat pitches in the middle of the plate. No thanks, if you don't want a guy like Acosta, why would this guy be any better?

vCash

Rule V Draft

Dude again he throws a cutter at 88-89 mph hence why his fastball readings varied, but his four seem fastball sits in the low 90's.

If you have good control and command it means you are in the zone a lot and that is why many balls get hit for homers specially when he is up in the zone as we know. Henry why he is a flub all pitcher.

Also both Mazzoni and Germen have zero movement to their fastballs and lack deception and why they may have better stuff of velocity have not have the same success Rodriguez has had in the upper levels yet.

Funny thing is how you ignore his k rates and when you want to bash Mazzoni you bring up the fact that he does not k many guys. Well Rodriguez does that period, so there is no reason to think that all of a sudden he won't.

vCash
    Dude again he throws a cutter at 88-89 mph hence why his fastball readings varied, but his four seem fastball sits in the low 90's.

If you have good control and command it means you are in the zone a lot and that is why many balls get hit for homers specially when he is up in the zone as we know. Henry why he is a flub all pitcher.

Also both Mazzoni and Germen have zero movement to their fastballs and lack deception and why they may have better stuff of velocity have not have the same success Rodriguez has had in the upper levels yet.

Funny thing is how you ignore his k rates and when you want to bash Mazzoni you bring up the fact that he does not k many guys. Well Rodriguez does that period, so there is no reason to think that all of a sudden he won't.
    I don't understand the point you are trying to make. All of his peripherals suggest him getting bombed in the big leagues. Below average stuff, fly ball pitcher, tons of homers, that does not translate well.

Just look at Carson's K rates in AA and AAA, and look at them in the big leagues(albeit a small sample) but it's not easy to K more than 9 per 9 innings, so the odds of Armando being a good reliever are slim.

Armando as a starter this year in 11 innings had a 4.91 ERA with 5 homers allowed. I think he'll be better than a guy like Elvin Ramirez, but that isn't saying much.

Germen has had way more success in AAA, his FIP was 3.70 compared to Armando's 4.40 FIP.

As for Mazzoni, I think he has no chance to be a good starter due to the K rates and lack of grounders, so I think he would profile best in the pen where his arm strength would work best.

vCash

Rule V Draft

Yet you continue to ignore his k rates and walk rates, so no not all his peripherals suggest he will rocked.

vCash

Rule V Draft

And Carson's k rates were never great except for what he did last year in those two levels, which suggest that it was an anomaly and not a trend.

vCash
    Yet you continue to ignore his k rates and walk rates, so no not all his peripherals suggest he will rocked.
    Stats in the minors are not the way to judge talent. Again, the Mets did not feel he was worthy of a 40 man spot, no team wanted him when he passed through waivers, and no team took him in the Rule V draft.

His FIP takes into account his K and BB rates, so what are you talking about??

vCash

Rule V Draft

Oh and the point is that your point that he has no shot or very little shot at being good based on a couple of stats that do not favor him is selling him short period. You have to look at the whole package and he has some things that he does very well and some that he does not which is why I think he can be a serviceable pen arm and one that is close tithe majors and should get a shot with the team this year.

vCash
    Again... FIP takes into account the whole package and his whole package isn't good. A 4.40 FIP is NOT good or serviceable. The Mets know this, and the whole league knows this. If he pitched in the big leagues, he'd be a replacement level pitcher.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    Stats in the minors are not the way to judge talent. Again, the Mets did not feel he was worthy of a 40 man spot, no team wanted him when he passed through waivers, and no team took him in the Rule V draft.

His FIP takes into account his K and BB rates, so what are you talking about??
    the fact that he was left off means nothing because he was put on the year before and the depth of the Mets farm system has changed where a guy like him should not be protected because their are other guys that do need to be protected.

And yes stats have to be taken into account dude, their not the only way to evaluate a guy, but they are a thing to also use to evaluate a guy. Is not always about tools and stuff.

And his FIP the lat 2 years has not been great, but is not like it has been dreadful either and is not like it always has been that high.

Finally you tell me to not look at stats to evaluate a guy, them I ask this why the hell them you bring up his FIP and Hr rates up?

So is alright to look at stats when you want to bash a guy, but ignore them when they prove your point wrong?

Yeah makes sense.

vCash
    the fact that he was left off means nothing because he was put on the year before and the depth of the Mets farm system has changed where a guy like him should not be protected because their are other guys that do need to be protected.

And yes stats have to be taken into account dude, their not the only way to evaluate a guy, but they are a thing to also use to evaluate a guy. Is not always about tools and stuff.

And his FIP the lat 2 years has not been great, but is not like it has been dreadful either and is not like it always has been that high.

Finally you tell me to not look at stats to evaluate a guy, them I ask this why the hell them you bring up his FIP and Hr rates up?

So is alright to look at stats when you want to bash a guy, but ignore them when they prove your point wrong?

Yeah makes sense.
    Stats and tools have to be used together correctly. You can't just say, "oh player a strikes out a good amount of batters and walks very few, he's going to be a good pitcher." His tools suggest that he will not strike out that many batters moving forward, and he has been very vulnerable for homers in AA. That isn't going to change.

FIP is much more effective than ERA in the minors because teams play on bad fields and the defenses are weaker.

So I see Rodriguez's tools as a pitcher, and his poor FIP, and I see a mediocre at best reliever in the big leagues.

vCash

Rule V Draft

That is because you choose to only look at what you want to look at and make final conclusions based on your opinion. I give a guy the benefit of doubt based on hat he does because you can have the best stuff and be awful and at times you can have mediocre stuff and have a long lasting MLB career.

vCash
    I think you are grasping at straws, but whatever.

vCash

Rule V Draft

No, I mention why I think he can be good and straws had nothing to do with it, but you are basing your expert opinion on FIP and that is it.

vCash
    On FIP and his below average stuff. That's enough for me.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast