Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by poodski View Post
    Just spitballing here, but what if we limited the number of extensions a team could offer each year. What if we limited it to just one per year or something or 5 every 3 year period or something.

Do some sort of a draft compensation for the FA's lost, and its a little of both worlds. More players get put into the market, and there is at least some sort of compensation for lost players. Whether it be a draft pick or some sort of TKO type thing (with lower %'s)
    I honestly agree with the lower %. Base it off the Type A, B, C, D requirements from TKO or something

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sexicano31 View Post
    Then what about getting a comp spec that isnt as good as bonds? Its really not fair to get a ****** player for a really good player because they wont resign with you
    The Mets got the 35th pick and 71st pick as compensation for letting Reyes walk.

You don't always get a great return for letting a player walk. Getting a clone in return or even 90% of Bonds is ridiculous. If he won't resign with you, then trade him. I can guarantee that someone would offer a much better return than compensation.

There should never be a reason that you let a player like Bonds walk.

I am absolutely against a TKO-like system being put in, unless we put a ratings cap for created prospects. Stud prospects are being created in TKO and like I said earlier, I don't want to see a top 5 player cloned.

If You Ain't Huckin, You Ain't ****in

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metsrock229 View Post
    The Mets got the 35th pick and 71st pick as compensation for letting Reyes walk.

You don't always get a great return for letting a player walk. Getting a clone in return or even 90% of Bonds is ridiculous. If he won't resign with you, then trade him. I can guarantee that someone would offer a much better return than compensation.

I am absolutely against a TKO-like system being put in, unless we put a ratings cap for created prospects. Stud prospects are being created in TKO and like I said earlier, I don't want to see a top 5 player cloned.
    Not really. We probably wouldn't be having this discussion if that were true. Ask JD how his offers for Larry Walker have been looking.

I am not in danger...I AM the danger.

vCash

I agree with your sentiment and completely agree.

The problem still stands that there is no way bonds will go to FA, because he will be able to be extended. Has a GM actually let a stud go at any point in the last 5 or so years? Its way to easy to extend players, IMO.

What if we even had like a reverse NBA thing. If a team is willing to beat the extension by lets say 20% then the original team has to match it or let them go to the other team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by azazel529 View Post

Not really. We probably wouldn't be having this discussion if that were true. Ask JD how his offers for Larry Walker have been looking.
    I never said that the offers would be worth the player, just that it would be worth more than the compensation

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by poodski View Post
    I agree with your sentiment and completely agree.

The problem still stands that there is no way bonds will go to FA, because he will be able to be extended. Has a GM actually let a stud go at any point in the last 5 or so years? Its way to easy to extend players, IMO.

What if we even had like a reverse NBA thing. If a team is willing to beat the extension by lets say 20% then the original team has to match it or let them go to the other team.
    Actually, that's not a bad idea.

vCash

Comp Spec System Discussion...Again

The only issue I see with that is the possibility of payrolls skyrocketing. If you have 5 guys to sign, people might up the 20% just to make you match. Maybe put a limit, like a team can only offer the +20% once per season/offseason

vCash
    I agree with bill and metsrock 100%. And the letting bonds go and getting a clone thing if that happens it will help destroy the integrity of the league. The losing your 1 round pick for a type A fa losing your 2nd rounds for a type b ect and elimanting draft pick trading would be the best case scenario. Why would a team that has a top 5 pick spend a pile of money on a type a fa? Unless its someone like bonds ect. Adding players with fake names is the reason I voted no before and will again. But the draft pick idea I'm all for.

vCash
    The only issue I see with that is the possibility of payrolls skyrocketing. If you have 5 guys to sign, people might up the 20% just to make you match. Maybe put a limit, like a team can only offer the +20% once per season/offseason
    That is essentially the same thing as having a rule stating no one can extend more than one player per year.

vCash
    wow this has turned into a good discussion. to be honest I'm on the fence, I could go either way, a part of me says No like a bunch of you already said it seems more of a reward to let a player walk, and the other part of me says is this our answer to more trading and having the teams filled?

Some of you are against contraction because of the Historical reasons... if that is so than we should be sitting at 26 teams right now.. Blue Jays and Mariners and in two seasons have the Rockies and Marlins. and in 7 years have the Rays and Diamond Backs. .. I strongly believe that contracting at least two teams will have a bigger impact than Comp Specs....I went asking a lot guys if they want to join the league was able to fill a lot of open teams... the 24 pick in the Draft is now the 22nd. the contraction draft will even out the playing field a little.

I do like Po's idea limiting how many players you can extend... if we are talking about real life here.. everyone know Bonds left Pittsburgh, Maddux left the Cubs, Braves,... Tom Glavine and John Smoltz left the Braves, Arod took the cash, Sheffield had no loyalty Rogers Clemens... you get the point... god you never hear me say this but we need Scott Boras ...

So I'm undecided really
    "Some people live an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference in the world, Marines don't have that problem." ~ President Ronald Regan

vCash
    I am STRONGLY against limiting signings! Your taking control away from gms, seriously that is an awful idea, you would never see MLB say Ok you can only sign 1 guy this year, or 2 this year the rest go free ect.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by azazel529 View Post
    That is essentially the same thing as having a rule stating no one can extend more than one player per year.
    I meant that a team can only offer to pay 20% more for another team's player once.

vCash

Comp Spec System Discussion...Again

And you can have a draft pick system without eliminating draft pick trading. It's actually pretty simple.

vCash
    And you can have a draft pick system without eliminating draft pick trading. It's actually pretty simple.
    please elaborate because every time it's been brought up before there are always serious flaws and loopholes.

vCash
    random thought here say if you rate a comp pick... comp pick will be your 2nd round draft pick..(you don't know what you are getting) gets a % boost... you may let for example you let a Barry Bonds walk.. he rates a type A your 2nd round pick gets a 30% boost in all categories, type B gets 20% type C gets 10% and type D gets 5% or something to that nature??

Big problem is what if you trade your 2nd? well it would have a little more Value than it does now... and each team would only be allowed one comp a year.. so if you have two players in a walk year who do you resign? ..

I was just throwing those % numbers out there not sure what a good number would be .. but everyone knows that 2nd round picks are not that great...
    "Some people live an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference in the world, Marines don't have that problem." ~ President Ronald Regan

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast