Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Winter Meetings

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tragedy View Post
    Not sure what you expected. A lot of smaller names signing, and I'd consider Napoli/Victorino as decent splashes, regardless of my being a Sox fan. Lots of talking about some huge free agents and where they may end up.

I've enjoyed checking my phone constantly for the latest rumor. It's the best part of any offseason for any sport.
    Last few years have been pandemonium from what I remember

vCash
    Yep, Marlins and Angels made big splashes last winter meetings. No one really did that this year. Still need the Greinke chip to fall so we can start seeing the market clear up for the next tier of starters too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Young2Kinsler View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tragedy View Post
    Not sure what you expected. A lot of smaller names signing, and I'd consider Napoli/Victorino as decent splashes, regardless of my being a Sox fan. Lots of talking about some huge free agents and where they may end up.

I've enjoyed checking my phone constantly for the latest rumor. It's the best part of any offseason for any sport.
    Last few years have been pandemonium from what I remember
    I think the difference from last year (Pujols and Reyes to name a few) is this years market is very odd. Hamilton wants 7 years, teams are offering 3-4. That's a huge difference. And as for pitchers, most are in a holding pattern waiting for Grienke. He's the one I'm a little surprised hasn't been signed during the winter meetings so far; he has a legitimate market.

vCash
    it really seems like grienke wants nothing to do with the dodgers and is just waiting for the rangers to get their outfielder

vCash
    Writers and people in Texas seem to believe Texas is softening their stance on trading Elvis in order to acquire Upton. Getting interesting...

Per @ProspectInsider's Jason Churchill (http://bit.ly/VobBDc ), TEX "has given indications they are willing to move Elvis" for Justin Upton

vCash
    I don't see why Greinke should sign anytime soon since upwards of 20 teams have interest in him and he knows the Dodgers are going to spend big. He's just letting them have their bidding war since he knows he's in high demand, there is at least one team that will pay an absurd amount for him, and he's easily the best pitcher available (and probably the best one that will be available the next few years via FA).

vCash
    The Mariners are making a big push for Hamilton, writes Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times, and talks are more serious between the two sides than has been let on. The holdup, not surprisingly, is the Rangers' ongoing pursuit of Greinke. If Greinke does land in Texas, Baker writes that the Mariners could make a deal for Hamilton happen "very soon" afterward.
    Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/#yihUVsZxXPOmqPIJ.99
    Hamilton deal probably isn't going to happen until somebody signs Greinke since the Rangers are involved there.

vCash
    M's signing Hamilton would probably be the biggest mistake the franchise has ever made.....

(even with losing A-Rod, Griffey, and Randy Johnson, on a team that also had Edgar Martinez and eventually Ichiro - of course, they lost each under different and varying circumstances)

Not many teams can support 5 hall of famers in their prime...unless they are the Yankees.

Hamilton would really hurt that franchise.

Speaking of the M's though, aside from Hamilton here.

If they had kept everybody from their time in Seattle on.

Griffey - 89-10 CF
    Ichiro - 01-present RF
    A-Rod - 94-present SS
    Edgar - 87-04 3B/DH
    Randy Johnson - 89-09 SP

Make it 6, and add Felix Hernandez 05-present

That's five hall of famers all together at least from 01-04, and basically all of the 90's and 00's. They would have won something, I'm certain.

But....you trade some away, or some guy gets a quarter of a billion to play for a rival...and **** happens. But what a team this could have been.

Back on topic though, Josh Hamilton would be a really really bad choice for Seattle unless they can get him on a 3 year deal, and even then, it's probably a giant waste of money.

vCash
    Nah, our offense is terrible. Adding a top 10 hitter in the game would be a great move.

The future is present.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Young2Kinsler View Post
    Writers and people in Texas seem to believe Texas is softening their stance on trading Elvis in order to acquire Upton. Getting interesting...

Per @ProspectInsider's Jason Churchill (http://bit.ly/VobBDc ), TEX "has given indications they are willing to move Elvis" for Justin Upton
    I was all for trading Elvis and some for Upton earlier, but I'm kinda worried about what an Elvisless team would look like. I've just gotten so used to watching him play, although it would probably be for the best if it meant acquiring Justin Upton and having Profar play SS full time.

Don't know if this has been posted yet, but the Phillies and Rangers are talking about Michael Young. Texas would get back a young ML reliever and some low level prospects. I would feel so bad for the guy if Texas won it all in 2013 without him.

http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2...rangers_i.html

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ccg34 View Post
    Nah, our offense is terrible. Adding a top 10 hitter in the game would be a great move.
    In a huge ballpark on a player that needs a short porch for sustained success that can't hit outside fastballs and has gigantic holes in his swing.

And he is more of a top 15ish hitter, but I guess he can try and lay claim to top 10.

But he would not do well in Seattle, and he won't improve them nearly enough.

vCash
    didnt seattle just saign jason bay? they are clearly not trying to improve their offense
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 11 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals (May 2014)

vCash
    Seems like the 3 team tex/ari/cle is still in play and maybe 4 team adding in Seattle who wants Holland

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213