Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 26 of 31 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Also those numbers show really good progression... Id expect that trend to continue this year as well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lvlheaded View Post
    I understand the argument, but Perez was a known head case with control issues. Niese has never had that problem. My point is he is showing improvement and he is still so young and under team control. I agree youd have to give up more than just Niese. But Niese is a guy they would certainly trade Myers for, I assume anyway
    i understand more what you're saying now. i originally thought u were saying KC would make a Niese for Myers deal straight up. Anyways, Niese plus might be able to get Myers, depending on who else we include. I hope it happens.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    Check out Niese's FIP and xFIP in 2011. He stuck out a good amount, walked very few, got a ton of grounders, gave up few homers, and yet his ERA was high. It wasn't going to stay that way and he broke-out ERA-wise in 2012.

As for the Oliver Perez comparison, Niese has way better command, so his success is more sustainable.
    understood.... i like Niese, just probably not as high on him as some.. but if we could get Myers, i think it'd be worth it. I feel like he could be a can't miss hitter and a stud in the league for many many years. We haven't had one that young since Wright, meanwhile we'd still have Harvey and Wheeler for the long haul. I think Niese plus would benefit us in yrs to come cuz i think Harvey and Wheeler are both gonna be very good pitchers.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bklynny67 View Post
    understood.... i like Niese, just probably not as high on him as some.. but if we could get Myers, i think it'd be worth it. I feel like he could be a can't miss hitter and a stud in the league for many many years. We haven't had one that young since Wright, meanwhile we'd still have Harvey and Wheeler for the long haul. I think Niese plus would benefit us in yrs to come cuz i think Harvey and Wheeler are both gonna be very good pitchers.
    I agree. I'm high on Niese because he took that next step that we all hoped he would make, and his contract is soooo affordable. If he continues to pitch the way he did in 2012, it will be incredibly valuable.

However, if Myers can be had for Niese, I'm doing it and not looking back.

vCash
    Just woke up, did the Mets do anything in the winter meetings?

vCash
    NASHVILLE — If the current stalemate between the Mets and R.A. Dickey leads to divorce, the Texas Rangers are one of the strongest candidates to land the Cy Young Award-winner in a trade. Toronto, Baltimore and the Dodgers are also real possibilities, according to major league executives with direct knowledge of the process; the Yankees, who have also shown interest in the pitcher, are not.

In an extremely fluid situation, the Mets were said to like Toronto catching prospect Travis D’Arnaud, and Texas third baseman Mike Olt as major pieces in potential deals.

The Mets met on Monday with Toronto brass, but talks stalled and appeared dead. Then, Sandy Alderson and Jays GM Alex Anthopoulos resumed discussions on Wednesday, although they still had no deal.
    "Alex would rather move (catcher J.P.) Arencibia than D'Arnaud, but that could change," said a person briefed on Toronto's thinking.

A different major league executive said that Texas would be willing to part with Olt in the right deal, especially if the Rangers are unable to sign free agent starter Zack Greinke.

As for Baltimore, a league source said that they liked Dickey, but were not close to finding a match in a trade. All through the week, the rival executives maintained that the Mets’ asking price for Dickey was extremely high.

"It should be," said one Mets person. "He won the Cy Young."

Kansas City, which balked earlier this week at the notion of trading top outfield prospect Wil Myers for Dickey, left the meetings "definitely not in on Dickey," according to a National League executive briefed on the situation.

Additionally, a Mets source told the Daily News on Thursday that the Yankees and Nationals were early suitors for Dickey at the winter meetings.

"Washington liked Dickey a lot, and so did the Yankees," the source said, while stressing that talks did not progress, and a deal with either club would not happen. After general manager Sandy Alderson determined that he did not want to trade Dickey to a National League East rival, the Nats signed starter Dan Haren.
    The Yankees, who attempted last winter to trade for Jon Niese, did not have prospects that fit the Mets' needs, and talks stalled.

Despite all of those trade discussions, the Mets are far from ruling out keeping Dickey on a contract extension. The winter meetings ended with the sides far apart on the dollar value of a two-year deal, and the Mets' current offer was well below Dickey's initial asking price of approximately two years, $26 million, plus the pre-existing $5 million club option.

The Mets will not meet that price, according to sources.

Before leaving Nashville, Alderson indicated that he did not receive an offer for a trade worth making. "We haven't made a trade," the GM said. "You can read into that what you like."

"Things are moving forward on two tracks," he added. "While we are waiting for a better trade offer, we are still exploring bringing R.A. back."

Alderson reiterated what chief operating officer Jeff Wilpon has said several times, that the Mets were open to retaining Dickey for next year without signing him to an extension.

"I don't think its necessarily the optimum result, but it's a possible result," Alderson said. "If that's the one that ultimately transpires, then we'll be happy with that."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...#ixzz2EKPzKRp0

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    Just woke up, did the Mets do anything in the winter meetings?
    Go back to sleep. We'll wake you when there is something to report.
    Former B'klyn Dodger fan. Mets Maniac since 1962.

vCash
    Niese started well in both 2010 and 2011, but as the season wore down so did Niese. Big improvement was his ability to remain in shape for the duration of the 2012 season. Thats what we're selling here. Certainly Boras would be able to explain it to the KC in simple english. Now give up Myers KC.
    " You seek Yoda!

vCash
    I did not even get a chance to add to my sig.

vCash
    Martino's article doesn't tell us much that we don't already know. Sure, Olt or D'Arnaud would be great, but I hope Sandy has back-up plans if either club is steadfast in not moving their #1 prospect.

If Greinke signs with the Dodgers, the Rangers will agressively pursue Dickey. I think if we could get Leonys Martin, a highly ranked pitching prospect like Cody Buckel or Wilmer Font, and a fleet footed lower level prospect like Luis Sardinas or Lewis Brinson, Sandy should pull the trigger.

Similarly, I think a deal with Toronto for Arencibia, Gose and Syndergaard would fill a number of holes with quality players. I'm not that high on J.P., but he is way better than anything we have on the near term horizon. At the plate, he will be a threat to jack one out of Citi. Maybe if Sandy thinks he can pick up another catcher in a different (non-Dickey) deal, he passes on J.P. and goes for a couple of lower level prospects, like Kevin Pillar and Danny Barnes.

I have to say I am surprised to see Baltimore mentioned here, since I didn't think they matched up with us very well at all. Maybe if they were amenable to give us Dylan Bundy . . .

Also surprised to see that KC dropped out. With their tight budget, you'd think Dickey at $5 million with the chance to extend, would be more desirable than Shields (due $10 million, incl. his buyout) or Lester. (who gets just under $12 million) but I guess they want more youth.
    Former B'klyn Dodger fan. Mets Maniac since 1962.

vCash
    I did not even get a chance to add to my sig.
    Can you give me some insight to what your sig means?

Just curious.

Jew You Believe In Miracles?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by VendettaRed07 View Post
    noah is gonna be a beast man.

with him and harvey, its like were gonna have Goku and Vegetta in the same rotation

vCash
    I would trade Niese for Myers if it came down to it.

However, I read somewhere that KC asked for Niese AND Wheeler for Myers.

Thats laughable.

Jew You Believe In Miracles?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by VendettaRed07 View Post
    noah is gonna be a beast man.

with him and harvey, its like were gonna have Goku and Vegetta in the same rotation

vCash
    Who is that last guy in Sick's sig?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    Who is that last guy in Sick's sig?
    Wanel Mesa

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrigheyes4MVP View Post
    I would trade Niese for Myers if it came down to it.

However, I read somewhere that KC asked for Niese AND Wheeler for Myers.

Thats laughable.
    agreed. But thats how it goes at the beginning stages of big trades. We proposed Niese for Myers or Dickey for Myers which is obviously not enough so they returned with Niese and Wheeler for Myers which is too much. Hopefully we find a middle ground like Niese and Familia for Myers, or maybe Niese, Familia, and Mejia for Myers and one of their mid-low level pitching prospects...

We'll see.

Page 26 of 31 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast