Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2028293031 LastLast
    vCash
    Discussing future free agents is silly for an organization to do because nobody knows who will sign long term and who will not. Is fun for fans to dream, but that's it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    Discussing future free agents is silly for an organization to do because nobody knows who will sign long term and who will not. Is fun for fans to dream, but that's it.
    Well its still good to have targets...

I don't think fans are always out of touch with what their teams are possibly looking to do.

You're right the guys they detail could be re-signed by the time they look to acquire them but there should still be significant help out there in FA in 2014 either way.

There is help out there this year too but i still think they are hitching their wagon on Harvey and Wheeler's further development before they make significant acquisitions.

Either way 2014 is a make or break for Sandy Alderson no matter which way they attempt to excuse it after another losing season again this year.
    Last edited by metswon69; 12-09-2012 at 03:21 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    You don't think every team in baseball has 2017 circled on their calendars for Giancarlo Stanton?

While I agree that organizations don't solely look at free agency like you mentioned, teams certainly look to see what the strength of free agent classes are like.

The most recent proof that comes to mind is when David Wright said that when negotiating the 8 year deal, him and Sandy discussed the teams plans, their minor league system, other team's minor league systems/trade targets, AND future free agent classes beyond just 2013-2014. So it definitely happens and with great detail.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by yfern328 View Post
    You don't think every team in baseball has 2017 circled on their calendars for Giancarlo Stanton?

While I agree that organizations don't solely look at free agency like you mentioned, teams certainly look to see what the strength of free agent classes are like.

The most recent proof that comes to mind is when David Wright said that when negotiating the 8 year deal, him and Sandy discussed the teams plans, their minor league system, other team's minor league systems/trade targets, AND future free agent classes beyond just 2013-2014. So it definitely happens and with great detail.
    This..

vCash
    Re: free agents, Jeff claims that Sandy has more flexibility this year and can have a higher payroll. If that's the case, where the blank are our outfielders?
    Sandy Alderson says Mets' 2014 payroll will be more than $87 million
    (11/19/2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Alderson
    Payroll is $85 million this year. It was $85 million last year.
    (05/27/14)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Alderson
    I don't think we're that far away.
    (6 games under .500 before June. Not that far away from what?)

vCash
    I'm sure every team bookmarks Cot's Baseball Contracts.
    John Maeda@johnmaeda

Knowing the overall *shape* of an idea, argument, situation requires as many facts, models, opinions as you can take/make to see a whole.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    This..
    Look for Scott Hairston to return to Citi.
    John Maeda@johnmaeda

Knowing the overall *shape* of an idea, argument, situation requires as many facts, models, opinions as you can take/make to see a whole.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StoicSentry View Post
    Re: free agents, Jeff claims that Sandy has more flexibility this year and can have a higher payroll. If that's the case, where the blank are our outfielders?

They lied again, simple as that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Well its still good to have targets...

I don't think fans are always out of touch with what their teams are possibly looking to do.

You're right the guys they detail could be re-signed by the time they look to acquire them but there should still be significant help out there in FA in 2014 either way.

There is help out there this year too but i still think they are hitching their wagon on Harvey and Wheeler's further development before they make significant acquisitions.

Either way 2014 is a make or break for Sandy Alderson no matter which way they attempt to excuse it after another losing season again this year.

There's no need to do that. That's just another excuse for not spending any money, it's rationalizing failure and inactivity.

The Mets are one long excuse from start to finish.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by yfern328 View Post

You can look at it, but is silly because again who the hell knows if Stanton will even be a Marlin by then, so to count on possibly signing him this early is pretty stupid, because is such a long time away from happening.

...and that is why I brought this up because of what Wright said, if they talked about guys who are free agents this year and or even next year, then it makes much more sense because those guys are likely to hit the market. To start looking at 2015 and beyond as far as free agents is just silly and that was my only point.

The rest of what you said makes total sense and any player that is going to make such a commitment should discuss the teams minor league system and possible trade targets for that team in the near future to see where the organization is heading too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    They lied again, simple as that.
    Year isn't over. Call me next September to discuss. Whether or not there is flexibility is irrelevant if the price is too high in dollars or talent.

What would he gain by lying about flexibility? Will the Mets sell 1000s or 100s of season tickets as a result? I don't think so. I think fans on the fence have taken a wait and see attitude. What do you think?

If someone says one thing today, but something else a month from now, that does not mean the first statement was a lie. A lie also requires the intent to deceive. People change their minds, circumstances, change, etc. I would apply the same considerations to your (anyone's) comments.

Oh rats. :wave:
    Last edited by Dugmet; 12-09-2012 at 11:55 AM.
    John Maeda@johnmaeda

vCash
    Probably not the right place but I had nowhere else to put it. Why don't we go after Pierzynski? He had a great year last year, and just because he's 35 doesn't mean he can't catch anymore. Get him for 1 year and see how he does, then keep going with him. He isn't a clubhouse cancer, is he?

vCash
    No thoughts..?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry777 View Post
    No thoughts..?
    If its a one year deal he gets the Mets won't outbid the Yankees for him.

Seems like where he might end up.
    Last edited by metswon69; 12-10-2012 at 10:10 PM.

vCash
    Not to mention he is another LH bat, the Mets are looking for a RH compliment at the position.

Hopefully one that would start over Thole.

Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2028293031 LastLast