Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 31 12311 ... LastLast
    vCash

What Happens in Nashville...Winter Meetings

Sandy Alderson's Opening Address at the Winter Meetings

NASHVILLE -- After arriving at the winter meetings, GM Sandy Alderson offered an overview to beat writers of the Mets' agenda going forward.

Much of the talk centered on R.A. Dickey.

Alderson met for 10 minutes with Dickey at the Gaylord Opryland Hotel on Sunday afternoon, but suggested the meeting was social and noted it would be inappropriate to talk finances without Dickey's representative present.

"I don't negotiate directly with R.A. That would not be professional under the circumstances. He's represented," Alderson said. "So there never was any intention of having that conversation here today. On the other hand, we continue to have conversations with his agent. I would expect that we'll see him some time during these three or four days. When, exactly, I'm not sure."

Alderson said he did not necessarily need a resolution on Dickey by the conclusion of the winter meetings Thursday, although he hoped for more clarity.

"I think it's possible," Alderson said about a resolution before the meetings conclude Thursday morning. "On the other hand, it could go on for a while. I just can't predict. ... R.A's situation needs to be resolved, but it doesn't necessarily have to be resolved here in Nashville before Thursday. I think we'll have a lot more information by the end of Thursday both in terms of his negotiation as well as other options. But I don't think we have to have resolution by Thursday."

Alderson said the sides are not at an impasse.

"I don't think we've gotten to the point where we have two positions that can't be bridged," the GM said. "We may get to that point. But I don't think there's been enough to and fro at this point to know that. As you know, we've had two negotiations going on at the same time. When one gets close to culmination, it tends to get most of your attention. That's probably been true over the last four or five days. But we've had good dialogue and expect to have more of it over the next four days or so."

Will the Mets talk to teams about Dickey?

"Well, we expect to talk to a lot of teams about a lot of different things," Alderson said. "That's why we're here -- to explore various combinations. I would suspect, yes, we will have conversations about R.A. That doesn't mean we would prefer to go in that direction or reconcile to go in that direction."

Asked about Dickey's popularity being a factor, Alderson said: "He does have a certain notoriety. I don't think we would rely on his ability to sell tickets as a motivator. But this is the entertainment business. And his uniqueness contributes to that, as well as the baseball result on the field. So there are positives in that regard."

Alluding to the talks with Jose Reyes last year, the GM quipped regarding Dickey: "I haven't resorted to the chocolate box yet."

Contrasting Jeff Wilpon's recent comments that the Mets could keep Dickey into next season without the knuckleballer signing an extension beyond 2013, Alderson portrayed that as an unappealing scenario.

"I wouldn't say it's an ideal situation for him or for us, in part because we'll be talking about this for the next 11 months," Alderson said. "That's a situation I'd prefer to avoid and see if we can't focus on the team on the field as opposed to some of these other ancillary topics. At the same time, yes, we could go into the season under those circumstances. He'd make us better in '13. So it is an option. But it comes with a certain amount of inherent distraction."

Alderson added that it might be difficult to address all of the Mets' needs via free agency given the payroll constraints and still sign players who perform at a high-enough level. Therefore, he intimated, some trade likely would need to occur in order to round out next season's roster -- even if free agency were the preferred route to fill holes.

"We'll know more in two or three days," Alderson said. "I mean, I think there are free agents out there who can help us, who are in our price range. Whether we're able to fill all of our needs through free agency, I think, is a separate question. I'd say probably unlikely, depending on what our standards are for the outfield, catching, relief pitching, etc., etc."
    -- Adam Rubin
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

vCash
    Why Nashville???? Was Fargo completely booked????

vCash
    NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- David Wright is expected to make an appearance at the winter meetings for a press conference to formally announce his contract extension with the Mets, according to a major league source.

Chief operating officer Jeff Wilpon also is expected to arrive for the announcement.

Wright is due to undergo his physical Monday.
    Adam Rubin
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

vCash
    Wright fails his physical.

Pandemonium.

He is traded to the Yankees for cash considerations.
    There are no men like me, only me.

vCash
    Napoli most likely off the board. I know the Mets did not have a huge interest in him.

But apparently the Red Sox have a 3-yr deal in the works that almost agreed.
    #oneatatime

vCash
    To bad Flores doesn't really play SS anymore. We may have been able to package him with others to get Upton.

vCash
    From the anonymous site

Mets Rumors: Catcher, Dickey, Ownership
    By Luke Adams

At or near the top of Sandy Alderson's shopping list during the Winter Meetings is a catcher who can share the job with Josh Thole or even take it outright, says Mike Puma of the New York Post. If the team were to sign a free agent, the most likely scenario would be a right-handed hitter like Miguel Olivo, who could platoon with Thole. A.J. Pierzynski figures to be out of the Mets' price range, says Puma.

vCash
    Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS
    With lavarnway, ross and napoli to catch, red sox will take offers on salty

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clayamtion View Post
    Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS
    With lavarnway, ross and napoli to catch, red sox will take offers on salty
    He shouldn't cost to much.

vCash
    Last month, a handful of officials from other clubs at the GM Meetings said the Mets could do quite well in a trade for R.A. Dickey, the New York Post’s Ken Davidoff tweeted today.

Davidoff says the consensus was that the Mets could land multiple young players with real upside.
    -Metsblog

vCash
    Giancarlo Stanton remains unhappy with the direction of the Marlins, agent Joel Wolfe tells Jon Heyman of CBS Sports (Twitter link). "It wasn't a reaction," Wolfe said, referring to Stanton's post-trade tweet last month. "It's a state of mind." Wolfe declined comment when asked if Stanton has requested a trade, according to Heyman (Twitter link).

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

vCash
    I still think we should ink AJ Priezinski (sp) for 2 years and then look see what the world wants to offer for Niese or RA and then make a decision. I know AJ is old, but he is a far better player then the rest of the garbage in the catcher market. Shoppach anyone?
    " You seek Yoda!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rpagz3 View Post
    Napoli most likely off the board. I know the Mets did not have a huge interest in him.

But apparently the Red Sox have a 3-yr deal in the works that almost agreed.

Napoli signed with the Redsox

vCash
    I read on MLB Rumors that so far Alderson is not getting any offers he likes for Dickey. But it's still early though so I am expecting he will get one.

vCash
    The Mets have gotten serious about trading R.A. Dickey as soon as this week, sources tell ESPN.com’s Jayson Stark.

According to Stark, the Rangers and Royals are seen as the most logical fit for the Mets in a deal for Dickey.
    Olt or Myers.

Page 1 of 31 12311 ... LastLast