Hybrid View

vCash

Melo shooting his way into MVP talk

Melo shooting his way into MVP talk

December, 2, 2012
    Dec 2

5:36PM ET

By Jared Zwerling | ESPNNewYork.com

If there's one thing Carmelo Anthony will take away from playing under Mike D'Antoni, it's this: He realized how good he could be as a 3-point shooter.

From Anthony's trade to New York in February 2011 until the end of the regular season, he shot a team-leading 42.4 percent (53-for-125) from 3-point range in D'Antoni's pick-and-roll, spread-out offense. And now that Mike Woodson is still utilizing many of D'Antoni's schemes, Melo is back to cooking from beyond the arc.

Entering Sunday, he was shooting a career-high 44 percent from downtown, and in the Knicks' 106-99 win over the Suns, he finished 4-for-10, en route to a game-high 34 points. He's now the second-leading scorer in the NBA (after Kobe Bryant), averaging 26.6 points per game.

"They were picking up Tyson [Chandler] in the pick-and-roll, rolling to the rim, and as a result of that, they left us open with the outside shots," Anthony said after the game. "Those are shots that we take, those are shots that we make, and we'll continue to do that."

The biggest difference between this season and last -- when Melo dipped dramatically to 33.5 percent from downtown, despite his better numbers with the Knicks -- is that he worked his way into arguably the best shape of his career during the summer. That enabled him to show off his quick release -- one of the most picture-perfect and fluid ones in the game from anywhere on the court -- during the Olympics, when Team USA won the gold.

[+] Enlarge
    Bruce Bennett/Getty ImagesCarmelo Anthony scored a game-high 34 points on Sunday.
    In addition, in 2011-12, he dealt with wrist, thumb and ankle problems, but so far this season, he's pain free. Sharpshooter Steve Novak addressed Anthony's health after the game.

"He's shooting great," he said. "I mean, he's so focused, he's healthy. He's not only shooting it well, obviously, but he's playing great defense. He's our leader. If he's playing the right way, you're going to do well as a team."

Another factor related to Anthony's success this season has been working with the Knicks' new shooting coach, Dave Hopla.

"He's a great motivator, man, especially when you're out there shooting the basketball," Melo told ESPNNewYork.com recently. "He's very positive, always going to tell you about your mechanics and what you're doing wrong. So his main thing is just consistency, doing the same thing over and over again."

Anthony's hot hand has been just another reason the fans have been bringing out the "M-V-P" chants to every home game. He's shooting so well his 3-point percentage was even better than Novak's (42.9) entering Sunday's action. In the Knicks' first 15 games, Melo averaged 2.2 makes and five attempts per game, while Novak was at 2.2 and 5.1.

Anthony's also been having a little fun with his 3-point shooting. He's recently added Rasheed Wallace's trademark 3-point celebratory move -- putting three fingers to his head -- after almost every make.

"I'm just representing my man Rasheed Wallace," Melo said. "Three to the dome."

That has made Novak, who has his own 3-point theatrics -- the Discount Triple Check -- very proud of Anthony's sizzling stroke.

"He's the best player in the league right now," he said.

Now I can't fly my airplane

vCash
    i dont know about mvp as long as plays hard every night he can be my mvp
    Quote Originally Posted by Munkeysuit View Post
    Rondo #1 PG in the league ...he has a ring to prove it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzbolt View Post
    Wall will win more and will be better then Irving Quote me.
    Quote Originally Posted by bearadonisdna View Post
    u can't build a franchise around lebron. Its been proven already. he can't attract players and has to follow to be matched up with talent.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by seikou8 View Post
    i dont know about mvp as long as plays hard every night he can be my mvp
    what will it take for you to consider MVP? dude is having close to a career season and his team is 12-4

alot to do with his dominating yet selfless play.

vCash
    Melo is a damn beast!!! Period! He's shooting the three at about 44% and he's taking 5 per game. That's insane!

vCash
    Carmelo seems more confident out there on the court. He's letting the game come to him, very seldom you see him try to force the action. He's playing with a certain focus this year....Knicks are in a very good position as a result right now.

vCash
    If the Knicks find themselves as the number 1 seed, then he deserves it. IT's not announced until the middle of playoffs so depending on who the face in the 1st and if they get out will also be a huge factor.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNumber37 View Post
    If the Knicks find themselves as the number 1 seed, then he deserves it. IT's not announced until the middle of playoffs so depending on who the face in the 1st and if they get out will also be a huge factor.
    Dirk won the year they were eliminated by the 8th seed Warriors
    Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

So Tired of Melo Ball

Anji is offline The Nba is his GAME!!!!!!
    vCash
    Two things:

The shooting coaches name is Dave Hopla??? And what his assistants name is John Buckets, LOL. But this guy has been getting alot of credit for helping the team lately.

Lastly, three too the head should be this seasons mantra. Maybe Chris Brown can sing the song.

DJ Hopla!!!!!!!!!!!
    Working all winter, Grinding all summer.
    Worried about the post, You scared

So Take Three to the head(Yeah, Yeah)
    Don’t think about it (be about it)
    Don’t be scared to put three in their head(Yeah, Yeah)
    Double inside, try to denied, when we pass you might take three to the head!!!

Last edited by Anji; 12-02-2012 at 09:34 PM.
    My mama said pray for them ****** that hate
    They just wanna be in your place.........

Shine on shine on shine on them ******
    Shine on them ****** (what it ain't what it is)
    Shine on shine on shine on them ******

vCash
    "He's the best player in the league right now," he said. Novakkkkk

vCash
    Well deserved! Hes been outstanding! Best part is barring any injuries he can play this same style until he retires. Not an athletic player, just a highly skilled player with great footwork. Lets get it melo!

CARMELOOOOOOO ANTHONYYYYYY!!!

vCash
    I don't think there's an ounce of doubt about who has been the MVP of November. It's Melo and hopefully it stays like that when Amare comes back. I just have a bad feeling that they will try to get Stoudemire going at the expence of Melo - making Anthony pout...

vCash
    "Those are shots that we take, those are shots that we make, and we'll continue to do that." Nice!
    The Future is Now

vCash
    Melo playing like i knew he could!
    Knicks and 49ers!

vCash
    In the NBA forum they talking about Lebron and Durant. Both of those players are playing with healthy teams. We've had a number of injuries and are right at the top and that's because Melo is playing out of his mind! Stupid posters in the NBA forum talking all sorts of foolishnes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quietmoney View Post
    In the NBA forum they talking about Lebron and Durant. Both of those players are playing with healthy teams. We've had a number of injuries and are right at the top and that's because Melo is playing out of his mind! Stupid posters in the NBA forum talking all sorts of foolishnes.
    Talking Lebron and Durant as MVP front runners is not talking foolish. Melo is playing some top notch basketball right now. I do think he is MVP material but I rank him 3rd behind those other 2 guys. Those 2 dudes are legit.

Offense wins games. DEFENSE wins Championships!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast