Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    vCash
    Long will not be signed to a reasonable deal. He will be tagged or get top dollar from SOMEONE. I suppose it could still be us. I don't think Miami plans to invest big money into the offensive line and that big money will go to play makers on the offensive side of the ball.

However, Miami may want to draft and groom their own WR's and later give them the big bucks if they earn it instead of paying big money in FA (Build through the draft). Without having anybody on the offensive side of the ball in need of big money (cheap QB next 3 years and 0 play makers in need of a big deal), perhaps we can afford to give Long the big contract right now. By the time his contract runs out all that money will HOPEFULLY be going to our QB and home grown WR's.

An investment in Long now is also an investment in Tannehill. It's risky business to let Long walk and find at least a competent replacement.... Also risky to give a multi-million dollar contract to a guy who's body may be breaking down.... But can't afford to have Tannehill's growth hindered by protection issues. If Long walks I think we have to target one of the top 3 OT's in the first round (Joeckel, Lewan, J, Matthews).

vCash
    we already have an investment in Tannehill

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tunnicliffderek View Post
    we already have an investment in Tannehill
    yes, but he was referring in to the amount of money we have placed on an individual, we dont have that much money invested in tannehill, thats what where he was going with it....i think

vCash
    I meant keeping Long could only benefit Tannehill. And being that our QB and WR's don't have big contracts and it will be a good couple years before they do, (hopefully they can earn it and be resigned) perhaps Long can be given the contract he seeks. That's where I was going.

If Long walks I think we are handcuffed to select one of the top 3 OT's in the draft. Which I wouldn't particularly mind.

vCash
    i hope Long stays. with that said if he goes it doesnt mean we draft a LT in the 1st bc Martin would stay at LT and we would just need a RT again. Oday Oboushi would be my choice at that point but DJ Fluker could also be a 2nd day option. we could even get a guy in the late rounds with Alex Hurst. cant do much worse than Marc Colombo anyways. interior of our Oline needs an upgrade so i hope we resign Long and focus on the inside

vCash
    Are we watching the same Jake long this year.?

You guys make it sound like he was great this year, I saw no such thing.

Sugar Ray Leonard whooping on Floyd Mayweather Sr.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AddiX View Post

He wasn't the ELITE HOF LT like he was before this season but he was still a top 10 LT in the league. We where spoiled from his play for past seasons, he was that dominant.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AddiX View Post

agree he wasnt but i see it as we have enough holes as it is why try to create more.

vCash
    ^^ Agreed. Jake Long is still one of the better LT's in the league. The protection of our young QB is of great importance and risks in that department should be minimized.

The doc's need to adequately assess whether Long can bounce back from his recent decline and what can seemingly be perceived as wear and tear on his body.

I am arguing that under the direction of this franchise with Philbin as HC that BIG money on the offensive side of the ball will be reserved for QB and play makers. Being that I believe we will build through the draft (the signing of Jennings may be an exception for obvious reasons) we don't have any players at those positions who are ready for that big contract. With all of that money, the team may go ahead and choose to over pay Long and ensure the protection of Tannehill.

If we move on from Long I expect Miami to draft Joeckel, Lewan, or Matthews. I really like these prospects but resigning Long could allow us to go in multiple directions early in the draft. I feel Martin certainly has the capability to play LT and will improve his strength during the off season. We still need another OT if Long is gone.

vCash
    Funny how everyone **** on people when suggesting trading Jake Long last year.... now I doubt he plays another game for the Dolphins. Such a shame, especially considering they could have likely gotten a 1st+ for him at the time.

Had to be done! Go T-Rex

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrench View Post
    He wasn't the ELITE HOF LT like he was before this season but he was still a top 10 LT in the league. We where spoiled from his play for past seasons, he was that dominant.
    Pro Football Focus ranked him as the 46th best tackle.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by godolphins View Post
    Pro Football Focus ranked him as the 46th best tackle.
    Yea he had problems with penalties and they rated him low in his run blocking.

Still only gave up somthing like 9 QB hiurries all season witch puts him in the top 5 for pass blocking. Martin on the other hand has north of 25 QB hurries.

PFF isn't a end all its just a site for getting an idea.

I myself want him back but for the right price, not going to give him 10M a season.

vCash
    I think he would fit better at RT and have Martin play LT. Could solve our OL issues

The Future

vCash
    im 50/50 about Long. only time will tell after we've made our decision to keep or let go of him. but for those who say trade him trade him trade him...its not that easy ppl its really not. it happens yes, its possible yes, could we have maybe...but in reality its really difficult.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrench View Post
    Yea he had problems with penalties and they rated him low in his run blocking.

Still only gave up somthing like 9 QB hiurries all season witch puts him in the top 5 for pass blocking. Martin on the other hand has north of 25 QB hurries.

PFF isn't a end all its just a site for getting an idea.

I myself want him back but for the right price, not going to give him 10M a season.
    Long can get over 15 million if tagged so it's not like he's going to sign some team friendly deal. Once (if) he hits the market there are bound to be some teams bidding for his services that will put his salary around the 10M a year range. Doubt we keep him if he hits the open market.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345