Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    vCash
    Long will break the bank. Ur being foolish if u think u can resign him cheaper. This season will have 0 effect on his contract

The Future

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kendawg73 View Post
    With Long's bad play and injuries, I wouldn't even pay him 6-7 million. Now tagging him and trading him would be a perfect idea. As far as people criticizing Martin at right tackle, that is a big transition going from LT in college to RT in the NFL. The footing is different, the technics different. So Martin was basically learning a new position. He looked much more comfortable at LT.
    So you don't want to pay him $6-$7 million, but you want to throw a franchise tag on him that will pay him $15 million. Once you throw that tag on him your stuck with him. No one will trade for him if you tag him.

vCash
    I think we will offer him $7 million a year and if he doen't take it we let him walk.

vCash
    Much agreed with TunniCliffDerek, there's noway I let him walk without getting anything in return. A draft pick or two--to help us solidify our team.

vCash
    I would not worry about Martin. Offensive line is a tough position to play as a rookie especially tackle. We will see by season 3 how well Martin has improved.

vCash
    We should let Long walk if Martin performs well at LT. If we do re-sign Long, we shouldn't give him more than 6 MIL a year.

vCash
    ir

vCash
    If I were Ireland I would let Long walk. He has declined the last two years and is injury prone.

vCash
    Doubtful Long accepts a contract that isn't more appealing than the $15 million plus he would receive for a single year if tagged. I believe part of the reason he voided the final year of his contract was because he would earn more in 2013 under the tag or could just receive his next big contract via free agency. For those who are enticed by the possibility of a tag and trade scenario, Long would have to accept the contract offer from the other team. What team would offer a high draft pick(s) AND a huge contract for a LT who's play has declined, though still at a high level, and appears to be wearing down physically? Don't see it happening. I think Long walks or Ireland tags him and eats the $15 million plus to buy another year to find/develop his replacement.

vCash
    i dont think we can offer long that 15mil, that would take up just about half of our cap if not more(forgot the number, ill worry about that in the off season) but we have too many holes to fill...i know losing long will add another hole but will allow us to sign 5-6 other players(pending the names and skill level obviously)

vCash
    Ask yourself this..

Would you rather pay Wallace or Jennings, or keep a injury riddled Jake long. That's the decision your basically making.

Cant forget Randy Starks too, I would pay him before paying long any day of the week.

Sugar Ray Leonard whooping on Floyd Mayweather Sr.

vCash
    I'm all for resigning Starks as well. I think we will allow Long to walk, but in doing so we are putting a lot of stock into the hopeful development of Martin and the strength he needs to add during the off season and finding at least another competent OT (Excited to see him play LT vs SF this week). If we let Long go, or even if we do decide to tag him, I think Joekel, Lewan, and J. Matthews are at the top of our draft board. We obviously have the inside scoop on the Texas A&M tackles as well as DE D. Moore. I do remember a comment made by Philbin saying that Green Bay were never really big spenders in FA during his time there, particularly on the offensive side of the ball. It will certainly be an interesting off season.

vCash
    2 things about this.....

Martin gets the next 4 games to play LT, lets see how he does and see if we NEED Jake Long or not...

if we dont want to keep him/pay him a big contract....people are saying hes not worth 10 or even 8, 7 mil whatever...IF we Franchise Tag him....WHY IN THE WORLD would other teams give up picks and players AND pay him 15.36 MILLION or pay him the big contract we wont.

vCash
    For everyone saying that a tackle will be #1 priority in the draft . . . if Martin plays well at LT, he is our next LT for years to come, why would we draft a RT high in the 1st rd? makes no sense. If anything, they fix the Oline in FA, while grabbing some offensive talent.

I think we will see Martin play LT next year and a FA be our RT. I don't see Ireland wasting 1st rd pick on a RT . . . or atleast I hope not.

vCash
    i dont see us going OL in the 1st round no matter what happens

i would sign Long over Jennings. Starks or Long is very hard for me to decide. i would sign Wallace over Jennings,Starks or Long

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast