Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 27

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Bellingham, WA
    Posts
    10,296
    vCash
    1500

    Need help with what Laptop to get

    I dont know much of anything when it comes to laptops. Ive taken some advice from people on this server and have come down to these options. Could you guys help me decide which one is the better deal? This is a x-mas present for my wife.

    These one's are brand new.

    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...874&CatId=4935

    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...332&CatId=4939

    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...183&CatId=4935

    These ones are Refurbished

    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...27325&CatId=17

    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...571&CatId=4936

    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...516&CatId=4965

    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...06724&CatId=17

    I went with Tigerdirect because the prices looked better than newegg and bestbuy...

    New York Yankees

    Dallas Mavericks

    New Jersey Devils
    Seattle Seahawks
    HW: Brock "The White Gorilla"Lesnar
    MW: Lyoto "The Dragon" Machida
    WW: Jonny "BIGG RIGG" hendricks
    LW: Nate Diaz
    FLW: John "The Magician" Dodson
    Dale Earnhardt Jr.
    Favorite Athletes: Dirk Nowitzki, Brock Lesnar & Lyoto Machida


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    1,317
    vCash
    1500
    15.6" is a pretty big screen. You should look at display models to see if your wife will like that screen size.

    I looked at the 3 brand new ones and the acer/samsung are the better of the three. I would recommend shopping a bit more or waiting because you could definitely find better deals at that price.

    Personally, I don't like any of these laptops because of the DVD/CD drives. They add weight, slow down your computer, and drain battery life even when not in use. I would recommend doing without one when purchasing a laptop. You could also buy an external usb cd drive for cheap if you really need one.

    I would recommend something like this:

    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...595&CatId=4935

    It's highly portable and perfect for the casual user. Also, it comes with Windows 7 instead of 8 which is good if you're not trying to learn a new OS. Windows 8 is more designed for touch screens devices anyways. The only concern with the laptop I just linked is really just the price. I would personally price it in the 300-400 range.

    Oh and I forgot to mention. That 13.3" screen size is the perfect size for a laptop. Not too big or small. It's what my screen is now.
    Last edited by GrandDaddyPurp; 12-02-2012 at 04:25 PM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Bellingham, WA
    Posts
    10,296
    vCash
    1500
    Thanks for the help bro! Its a little above my price range but I will keep what you said in mind

    New York Yankees

    Dallas Mavericks

    New Jersey Devils
    Seattle Seahawks
    HW: Brock "The White Gorilla"Lesnar
    MW: Lyoto "The Dragon" Machida
    WW: Jonny "BIGG RIGG" hendricks
    LW: Nate Diaz
    FLW: John "The Magician" Dodson
    Dale Earnhardt Jr.
    Favorite Athletes: Dirk Nowitzki, Brock Lesnar & Lyoto Machida


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    1,317
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumper 88 View Post
    Thanks for the help bro! Its a little above my price range but I will keep what you said in mind
    Yes I agree, it was just to show you what I suggest. It's definitely overpriced. Keep in mind that there are good deals coming up at the end of December. I've scored deals better than black Friday in the past.

    Any questions just feel free to ask. I can help you compare specs if needed.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Bellingham, WA
    Posts
    10,296
    vCash
    1500
    Awesome! So its probably better to wait on one, I figured so. On the Samsung if I wait to get it how much on a average do you think I could save? Because if I wait it probably won't be here in time for Christmas?

    New York Yankees

    Dallas Mavericks

    New Jersey Devils
    Seattle Seahawks
    HW: Brock "The White Gorilla"Lesnar
    MW: Lyoto "The Dragon" Machida
    WW: Jonny "BIGG RIGG" hendricks
    LW: Nate Diaz
    FLW: John "The Magician" Dodson
    Dale Earnhardt Jr.
    Favorite Athletes: Dirk Nowitzki, Brock Lesnar & Lyoto Machida


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    America
    Posts
    65,092
    vCash
    1500
    I wouldn't buy a laptop with a bigger screen than 13" to be honest. If you want a bigger screen, then I suggest getting an external monitor and going BIG (like 27").
    Member of the Owlluminati!


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    27,330
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    I wouldn't buy a laptop with a bigger screen than 13" to be honest. If you want a bigger screen, then I suggest getting an external monitor and going BIG (like 27").
    I got myself dual 27''ers. **** is awesome.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Central Europe
    Posts
    1,167
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by 1-800-STFU View Post
    I got myself dual 27''ers. **** is awesome.
    Damn really would like a dual 27" setup, but if I go 27" the monitor i'd like one with 2560 x 1440, but they're just to expensive for me. A second 24" will have to do

    I like my laptops small to, rather have good mobility. But if you need power in you're laptop 15 inch is nearly the only way to go, there are very few powerful notebooks out there below 15".

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    27,330
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by Patman View Post
    Damn really would like a dual 27" setup, but if I go 27" the monitor i'd like one with 2560 x 1440, but they're just to expensive for me. A second 24" will have to do

    I like my laptops small to, rather have good mobility. But if you need power in you're laptop 15 inch is nearly the only way to go, there are very few powerful notebooks out there below 15".
    Yeahhh I went with 1920x1080 Resolution. Those higher rez monitors are around 700 or hell even more....I payed 350 for one, and 250 for the other(got it online last Monday).

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Bellingham, WA
    Posts
    10,296
    vCash
    1500
    She will most likely use this laptop at the house... mostly.

    You say 13 because the 15 is just to big?

    New York Yankees

    Dallas Mavericks

    New Jersey Devils
    Seattle Seahawks
    HW: Brock "The White Gorilla"Lesnar
    MW: Lyoto "The Dragon" Machida
    WW: Jonny "BIGG RIGG" hendricks
    LW: Nate Diaz
    FLW: John "The Magician" Dodson
    Dale Earnhardt Jr.
    Favorite Athletes: Dirk Nowitzki, Brock Lesnar & Lyoto Machida


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    America
    Posts
    65,092
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumper 88 View Post
    She will most likely use this laptop at the house... mostly.

    You say 13 because the 15 is just to big?
    Anything bigger, in my opinion regardless of where it will be used, is too big. However, other people have different opinions. A guy I work with has a 17" Lenovo and he likes it. But I'm not a fan of something that size.
    Member of the Owlluminati!


  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,727
    vCash
    1500
    I'm certainly no expert when it comes to laptops or technology in general but I've had a Toshiba Satellite the last 4 years and haven't had a single problem with it. Upgraded to Windows 7 and it runs smoother than ever
    Let's Go Pens! - 16 Games Left

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    right behind you
    Posts
    16,679
    vCash
    1150
    Stay away from AMD processors, if it is a must go with the first one at least it is a quad core.

    IGNORE brand names when it comes to the case, because hat is really all it is. Look at the components.
    Quote Originally Posted by ATL#22 View Post
    Lynch gets stronger as the season progresses and he makes love with the lights on. Lynch has been involved in 4 three ways.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Bellingham, WA
    Posts
    10,296
    vCash
    1500
    Thank alex. So quad core is the better one even though the other has the better processor?

    New York Yankees

    Dallas Mavericks

    New Jersey Devils
    Seattle Seahawks
    HW: Brock "The White Gorilla"Lesnar
    MW: Lyoto "The Dragon" Machida
    WW: Jonny "BIGG RIGG" hendricks
    LW: Nate Diaz
    FLW: John "The Magician" Dodson
    Dale Earnhardt Jr.
    Favorite Athletes: Dirk Nowitzki, Brock Lesnar & Lyoto Machida


  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    right behind you
    Posts
    16,679
    vCash
    1150
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumper 88 View Post
    Thank alex. So quad core is the better one even though the other has the better processor?
    Clock speed ( GHZ ) is the number of calculations it can preform

    Duo core 3 GHZ = 6 billion

    Quad core 2 GHZ = 8 billion

    pretty much cores x GHZ = best processor.

    That is only one aspect but it is important.

    Also look at RAM HDD space and graphics card.
    Quote Originally Posted by ATL#22 View Post
    Lynch gets stronger as the season progresses and he makes love with the lights on. Lynch has been involved in 4 three ways.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •