Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Summerville, SC
    Posts
    268
    vCash
    1500

    Panthers vs Chiefs 12/2/12

    Why does everybody have their coming out party vs us?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    43,085
    vCash
    7100
    Rivera is done for sure now. What a joke.





  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,913
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by homestarunner93 View Post
    Rivera is done for sure now. What a joke.
    Because it's Rivera's fault LaFell dropped a sure TD pass, our D-line couldn't get to the QB, and we committed stupid penalties at the end of the game to give the Chiefs first downs?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    43,085
    vCash
    7100
    Quote Originally Posted by N.E.PanthersFan View Post
    Because it's Rivera's fault LaFell dropped a sure TD pass, our D-line couldn't get to the QB, and we committed stupid penalties at the end of the game to give the Chiefs first downs?
    It's his fault this team continues to make stupid mistakes that even a HS team shouldn't make, yes. Preparation is part of not making mental mistakes, and this team is full of them.





  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    4,584
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Killakatsfan View Post
    Why does everybody have their coming out party vs us?
    Call me a conspiracy theorist, but once I heard about the murder-suicide yesterday I knew this game was going to be a loss. Any time something like this happens, the team ALWAYS has a "miracle victory". Maybe it's just because the teams play lights out, or maybe it's just coincidence, but I knew this one would be a loss.

    Quote Originally Posted by N.E.PanthersFan View Post
    I don't think the Chiefs had a coming out party -- I think they had a "let's exploit a crappy defense" party. Ron Edwards' presence was missed. Anyone who thought we should let him go this off-season still think so? I think we definitely need to look for his replacement and shouldn't overpay him, given that this is the second season in a row that he's gone on IR, but this is a game that would have been completely different if he was healthy.
    I completely agree with this one. Without Ron we lost our run stuffer and a big body to eat up blockers on pass-rushes, thus we had hardly any pressure. Don't get me wrong, KC has a nice OL, but we were definitely missing Ron. Our DC also had our players playing 10 yards off of their receivers, despite the fact that they only threw short-mid passes the entire game.

    What I liked:
    • The rushing attack was effective. For the most part, the right plays were called for Williams to shine, and he did. He didn't really find the open field, but he maneuvered well in traffic.
    • We took shots down the field in the passing game.
    • Newton played another great game. He made a couple poor passes, but he did very well overall and made smart decisions.
    • Special teams wasn't bad. I think we can be happy with their performance. Even if we didn't have any big plays in the return game, the coverage teams did their jobs.
    -I liked what I saw with Williams, but I wish there were more.
    -I loved the passing game. Newton has been looking good the past three or so weeks.
    -I thought Newton made great decisions on most of his passes. I saw him overthrow Smitty a few times, but at 5'9" that's probably not too hard.

    What I didn't like:
    • The defense was atrocious. We spent much of the week discussing how the defense has been doing alright despite a lack of talent. Whether it was lack of talent or something else, the defense looked awful today. As I alluded to above, I think the lack of Ron Edwards really hurt us, but we were gashed in the run game, allowing Brady Quinn (of all people) to manage the game. Embarrassing.
    • We got to Quinn once. That's really not acceptable, since the D-line is what makes or breaks our defense.
    • We had a chance to give the ball back to our offense at the end of the game, but we blew it (getting it back with 18 seconds doesn't count).
    • Yet we still had a chance to win. If LaFell doesn't drop that pass (you know exactly which one I'm talking about if you watched the game), this game ends differently.
    -When your defense makes Brady Quinn look like Tom Brady you have serious issues. Some of it was lack of personnel, but a lot of it was bad plays IMO. There were plays where you could tell the defense was in a bad position (which could have been on the players, but given how much it happened, I doubt it) to defend anything. Honestly, the defense is hurt, but they're also playing a bottom-feeder offense. Stop the run should = win vs KC. We didn't stop the run, but we also let them pass all over us.
    -The LaFell drop killed me, and it's the easiest play to pin the loss on (it was huge), but we also had other opportunities AFTER that play that killed us. Did anyone see the zone-read hand-off to Williams on 2nd and 20 that went for ZERO yards? Why would you do a zone-read run on 2nd and 20 when you're in position to win the game? That essentially just made it harder for us on 3rd.

    Quote Originally Posted by N.E.PanthersFan View Post
    Because it's Rivera's fault LaFell dropped a sure TD pass, our D-line couldn't get to the QB, and we committed stupid penalties at the end of the game to give the Chiefs first downs?
    Nothing exactly comes to my mind that I can pinpoint as RR's fault in this game, but let's be honest, he's gone after week 17; no sooner, no later. I doesn't matter if he wins games to close the season, he will be gone.

    LaFell's drop was awful, Cam had a few critical high passes (but let's be real, Cam was the furthest thing from what cost us the win), offensive play-calling busted a few times (most of the time with the zone-read), the OL broke down quite a bit but it was hard to notice with Cam zooming out of the pocket, and of course the defense was abused.

    The closest thing to a poor decision that I thought a coach in RR's position made was the choice to punt on 4th and 3 with under four minutes. You're a losing coach who is clearly on the hot-seat/fired seat and you're not going to take a risk when you've been doing well on offense the entire game?



    I'm just fine with how this game ended. We're back in the running for a top 5 pick (once the Browns/Raiders game is over one of them will have the same record as us and one will have +1 win, which will put us tied at 4th with PHI and only one game ahead of JAX and KC). Cam had yet another awesome game (could've had 4TDs if LaFell caught that pass).

    I liked seeing Adams and Edwards in the offense today (though they didn't do much). I hated everything on our defense; pass-rush, run-stop, coverage, the works. S/T was okay; they weren't anything special, they just did their job (which sadly is outstanding for this team). Gano booted the ball well on kick-offs.

    I hated seeing Bowe's physicality destroy our smaller DBs (he was open just about every play); not being able to stop bigger WRs like Bowe/Megatron/Green will be a huge problem if we ever become competitive. The right side of the line was letting too much pressure come through, so that screams OT in the first two picks in my book.

    Back on track to nabbing Star/Joeckel!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,913
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by manbearchef View Post
    -The LaFell drop killed me, and it's the easiest play to pin the loss on (it was huge), but we also had other opportunities AFTER that play that killed us. Did anyone see the zone-read hand-off to Williams on 2nd and 20 that went for ZERO yards? Why would you do a zone-read run on 2nd and 20 when you're in position to win the game? That essentially just made it harder for us on 3rd.
    Well, the couple next to me at the bar looked over when they heard my probably-louder-than-it-should-have-been frustrated "whyyy?". One of my "likes" was going to be how often Newton was under center, with that specific play as one of my "dislikes", but I completely spaced when I was writing that post.

    Quote Originally Posted by manbearchef View Post
    Nothing exactly comes to my mind that I can pinpoint as RR's fault in this game, but let's be honest, he's gone after week 17; no sooner, no later. I doesn't matter if he wins games to close the season, he will be gone.
    I'm not 100% sure of that yet. I'm about 95% sure of it, but I think there's a slight chance he stays for at least one more year to give the team some continuity. I think Chud's job is much less secure, despite Newton's improvement in recent weeks.

    Quote Originally Posted by manbearchef View Post
    The closest thing to a poor decision that I thought a coach in RR's position made was the choice to punt on 4th and 3 with under four minutes. You're a losing coach who is clearly on the hot-seat/fired seat and you're not going to take a risk when you've been doing well on offense the entire game?
    I probably would have punted too. If you don't make it, the game is absolutely over. If you punt it, your defense has the chance to make a stop. Either way (you make it or your defense gets the ball back with time), your offense has to drive down the field.

    Really difficult call to make, but I would have made the same one. In fact, I was sitting there muttering "please punt".

    And, really, if they hadn't let Quinn escape the pocket on third down, we would have had the ball back with ~70 seconds left.

    Quote Originally Posted by manbearchef View Post
    I liked seeing Adams and Edwards in the offense today (though they didn't do much). I hated everything on our defense; pass-rush, run-stop, coverage, the works. S/T was okay; they weren't anything special, they just did their job (which sadly is outstanding for this team). Gano booted the ball well on kick-offs.

    I hated seeing Bowe's physicality destroy our smaller DBs (he was open just about every play); not being able to stop bigger WRs like Bowe/Megatron/Green will be a huge problem if we ever become competitive. The right side of the line was letting too much pressure come through, so that screams OT in the first two picks in my book.

    Back on track to nabbing Star/Joeckel!
    Yeah, I don't think our needs have changed too much. NT, OT in first two rounds. Depending on what happens with Gamble, may need another CB.

    I'm still waiting to see the end-around to Edwards with the option to throw or run. Really surprised we haven't seen that yet, as that's a pretty unique wrinkle that could result in a huge play.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,913
    vCash
    1500
    I don't think the Chiefs had a coming out party -- I think they had a "let's exploit a crappy defense" party. Ron Edwards' presence was missed. Anyone who thought we should let him go this off-season still think so? I think we definitely need to look for his replacement and shouldn't overpay him, given that this is the second season in a row that he's gone on IR, but this is a game that would have been completely different if he was healthy.

    What I liked:
    • The rushing attack was effective. For the most part, the right plays were called for Williams to shine, and he did. He didn't really find the open field, but he maneuvered well in traffic.
    • We took shots down the field in the passing game.
    • Newton played another great game. He made a couple poor passes, but he did very well overall and made smart decisions.
    • Special teams wasn't bad. I think we can be happy with their performance. Even if we didn't have any big plays in the return game, the coverage teams did their jobs.


    What I didn't like:
    • The defense was atrocious. We spent much of the week discussing how the defense has been doing alright despite a lack of talent. Whether it was lack of talent or something else, the defense looked awful today. As I alluded to above, I think the lack of Ron Edwards really hurt us, but we were gashed in the run game, allowing Brady Quinn (of all people) to manage the game. Embarrassing.
    • We got to Quinn once. That's really not acceptable, since the D-line is what makes or breaks our defense.
    • We had a chance to give the ball back to our offense at the end of the game, but we blew it (getting it back with 18 seconds doesn't count).
    • Yet we still had a chance to win. If LaFell doesn't drop that pass (you know exactly which one I'm talking about if you watched the game), this game ends differently.


    Silver lining: draft position.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Summerville, SC
    Posts
    268
    vCash
    1500
    So the loss had nothing to do with Brady Quinn? Thats what I call a coming out party.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,913
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Killakatsfan View Post
    So the loss had nothing to do with Brady Quinn? Thats what I call a coming out party.
    The loss had nothing to do with Brady Quinn.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Summerville, SC
    Posts
    268
    vCash
    1500
    You're crazy! The D was pretty bad at times but he played awesome.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    4,584
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Killakatsfan View Post
    You're crazy! The D was pretty bad at times but he played awesome.
    No. He was just a QB with a lot of protection not getting rushed and finding wide-open receivers. I watched every pass he made, but I can't think of a single one that really impressed me. The closest thing to an NFL-quality pass I saw him make was a toss-up for Dwayne Bowe, who I believe was covering 5'8" Captain Munnerlyn (regardless Bowe is a huge WR).

    I will say he played well for what was required of him. He played the play-action well and didn't make any mistakes. I'd say his best pass of the game was the last play of the first half, which still was an open TE with little pressure.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    43,085
    vCash
    7100
    Quote Originally Posted by manbearchef View Post
    No. He was just a QB with a lot of protection not getting rushed and finding wide-open receivers. I watched every pass he made, but I can't think of a single one that really impressed me. The closest thing to an NFL-quality pass I saw him make was a toss-up for Dwayne Bowe, who I believe was covering 5'8" Captain Munnerlyn (regardless Bowe is a huge WR).

    I will say he played well for what was required of him. He played the play-action well and didn't make any mistakes. I'd say his best pass of the game was the last play of the first half, which still was an open TE with little pressure.
    Quinn looks great on play action. He sells it really well, drew the LBs down more than once and threw over the top. I think Quinn could be a passably decent starter in an offense that can go run-heavy. It's not like the Panthers defense is anything special, but he seems to do a good job operating the offense and minimizing mistakes. I know one thing, I sure wish Cam Newton had the freedom at the line that Brady Quinn has/had today. They let him check all game long, and it worked more often than not.





  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    4,584
    vCash
    1500
    This is something that maybe I just haven't noticed this season, but it seems to me like these past few games the coaches have actually let Newton lead the team in that he's calling audibles at the line and appears to be motioning guys to help him read the defense. I know most of last year and a lot of this year he just stuck to the play. I just find it funny how everyone rips on Newton for "not being able to read a defense" but it sure looked like he was reading the defense pretty well yesterday.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    733
    vCash
    1500
    Just read LaFell sprained his foot and that is why he did not return to the game.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    43,085
    vCash
    7100
    I would rather see DJ Campbell than Nakamura.





Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •