Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Newton's mechanics

Where Cam does struggle, however, is with pressure up the middle. This has been his Achilles heel during his first two years. If a defense has a strong defensive tackle presence who can collapse the pocket, Cam looks lost. He's a rare player who would rather a rusher come off his blindside, than be in his face -- and this is largely due to his mechanics. Newton doesn't adjust enough, so when an interior lineman is bull-rushed into his pocket, that's when the back-foot throws, and bad decisions come into play.
    From article: http://www.catscratchreader.com/2012...ensive-preview

We've discussed it here, but this is a really well-articulated review of Newton's biggest problem. I'm not sure what the solution is yet, just need better interior line play.

vCash
    Honestly, a consistent OL would probably fix most of Newton's problems. A big reason he has problems when there's pressure coming from the inside is when there is he doesn't even have time to set his feet/get away.

I don't like seeing him throw off of his back foot, but he can still get it done even when he does. I'd love to see them correct that this off-season, but I'd hate to see them try to change his fundamentals so much that it screws up his play. I'd say he's done a lot better this year with it, and that's with even less talent on the OL. If Silatolu progresses well into next year, Kalil returns to how he was, and Gross stays consistent, Cam will have plenty of opportunities.

I'm not the kind of homer who claims his QB is the best ever, but the way I see it, if we can get an OL good enough it won't matter how great our QB is as long as he can get the job done.

vCash
    If he had consistent mechs he would be unstoppable. It's such a huge and obvious flaw but nobody even talks about it.

Dear Ted Thompson,

Sign Eric Page.

K. Thx.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NormSizedMidget View Post
    If he had consistent mechs he would be unstoppable. It's such a huge and obvious flaw but nobody even talks about it.
    We're talking about it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by N.E.PanthersFan View Post
    We're talking about it.
    Outside of Panther fans.

Dear Ted Thompson,

Sign Eric Page.

K. Thx.