Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 26
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,910
    vCash
    1500

    Rivera's "close" games record

    I'm sure we all read this article too.

    I had been intending to do something like this for a while, but I'd get started, realize it was 1am and I need to work in the morning, and continually never get around to finishing. But someone else has. And I couldn't agree more. I've been really suspicious of this stat since Joe Person and others started throwing it around, and it's nice to see those suspicions are well-founded.

    I have another list going, this one taking a look at the turning points in each game where it's been close in the fourth quarter, to see exactly what the cause of our epic collapses are. Maybe someone else will beat me to that list as well.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    42,812
    vCash
    7100
    The fact of the matter is, this team lacks killer instinct. It should be obvious to anyone who has watched them this year. Rivera should be gone, no bones about it. He has shown nothing as a HC, and there are too many better options out there to let him stay.





  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,910
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by homestarunner93 View Post
    The fact of the matter is, this team lacks killer instinct. It should be obvious to anyone who has watched them this year. Rivera should be gone, no bones about it. He has shown nothing as a HC, and there are too many better options out there to let him stay.
    No doubt that this team has not put anyone away. I put more on Chud than Rivera, honestly, but that's just me.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    42,812
    vCash
    7100
    Quote Originally Posted by N.E.PanthersFan View Post
    No doubt that this team has not put anyone away. I put more on Chud than Rivera, honestly, but that's just me.
    You put it on Chud because you don't want to put it on Rivera, or what? The HC has to be held responsible for the mentality of the team, and this team has the mentality of a bunch of losers.





  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    4,523
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by homestarunner93 View Post
    You put it on Chud because you don't want to put it on Rivera, or what? The HC has to be held responsible for the mentality of the team, and this team has the mentality of a bunch of losers.
    All three coaches have lost games this season and all three coaches have shown many flaws.

    Rivera- Doesn't know how to control the game. Has losing mentality. Has shown he can't make proper decisions (when to go for it on 4th for example).

    Chud- can't call an NFL run play to save his life. Had a pretty sound offensive gameplan last year, but for whatever reason changed it this year. Overall questionable play-calling at horrible moments.

    McDermott- Doesn't know how to close a game. If the DL doesn't perform at a high level the overall defense will fail.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    42,812
    vCash
    7100
    Quote Originally Posted by manbearchef View Post
    All three coaches have lost games this season and all three coaches have shown many flaws.

    Rivera- Doesn't know how to control the game. Has losing mentality. Has shown he can't make proper decisions (when to go for it on 4th for example).

    Chud- can't call an NFL run play to save his life. Had a pretty sound offensive gameplan last year, but for whatever reason changed it this year. Overall questionable play-calling at horrible moments.

    McDermott- Doesn't know how to close a game. If the DL doesn't perform at a high level the overall defense will fail.
    If an entire unit of a defense doesn't perform at a high level, yeah, probably likely that the whole thing is going to fail in the NFL. Not sure why you think it's a big deal for a defense to not be good when the DL doesn't function at a high level. That's how the NFL goes, you either work at all three levels, or you get beat defensively. I don't really understand what you would like to see more out of McDermott. More blitzes that will get our terrible secondary carved up? He's doing the best he can with the talent he has right now.





  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,910
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by homestarunner93 View Post
    If an entire unit of a defense doesn't perform at a high level, yeah, probably likely that the whole thing is going to fail in the NFL. Not sure why you think it's a big deal for a defense to not be good when the DL doesn't function at a high level. That's how the NFL goes, you either work at all three levels, or you get beat defensively. I don't really understand what you would like to see more out of McDermott. More blitzes that will get our terrible secondary carved up? He's doing the best he can with the talent he has right now.
    I think there are certainly games (or halves of games) where our D-line is dominating, and our defense dominates as a result. I mean, I think that's true no matter what team you're talking about. When our D-line isn't dominating, the entire defense suffers. I don't think that's so much a reflection on McDermott as it is a reflection on our weak secondary. They're playing well, considering they're without their best player, but they're not where they need to be. I think we all know that.

    There are games where it's infuriating watching all 4 D-linemen rushing straight ahead, but they've been so dominant at times that they've been successful doing that. With Fua in, I'm not sure that domination will continue, which means we might need to a) run more stunts, and b) send a LB as the fifth pass rusher at times.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    4,523
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by homestarunner93 View Post
    If an entire unit of a defense doesn't perform at a high level, yeah, probably likely that the whole thing is going to fail in the NFL. Not sure why you think it's a big deal for a defense to not be good when the DL doesn't function at a high level. That's how the NFL goes, you either work at all three levels, or you get beat defensively. I don't really understand what you would like to see more out of McDermott. More blitzes that will get our terrible secondary carved up? He's doing the best he can with the talent he has right now.
    That's not what I'm saying. All three levels need to play well, obviously. I'm say when our defense doesn't play like a top 10 DL our defense is going to look like crap. We have a great DL, good LBs, and a crap secondary. If our DL has an off play it hurts us.

    I'm not saying McDermott is doing a bad job (it's hard to argue he is when the defense is typically putting the team in winning positions), especially with the injuries/lack of talent. However, I'm not impressed with his play-calling. It's nothing but sending four DL to rush. You can't just rush your DL the entire game and expect success. I'm not saying to blitz every play, or even do any crazy blitzes. A 5 man rush every now and then would be just fine and might even help.

    Now that R.Edwards is out, we'll see how well the 4-man rush will work with Fua. If Fua cannot consume blocks like Ron we're going to get ran all over.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    42,812
    vCash
    7100
    Quote Originally Posted by manbearchef View Post
    That's not what I'm saying. All three levels need to play well, obviously. I'm say when our defense doesn't play like a top 10 DL our defense is going to look like crap. We have a great DL, good LBs, and a crap secondary. If our DL has an off play it hurts us.

    I'm not saying McDermott is doing a bad job (it's hard to argue he is when the defense is typically putting the team in winning positions), especially with the injuries/lack of talent. However, I'm not impressed with his play-calling. It's nothing but sending four DL to rush. You can't just rush your DL the entire game and expect success. I'm not saying to blitz every play, or even do any crazy blitzes. A 5 man rush every now and then would be just fine and might even help.

    Now that R.Edwards is out, we'll see how well the 4-man rush will work with Fua. If Fua cannot consume blocks like Ron we're going to get ran all over.
    He has done more than just send four guys. He's been standing up ends on third down (especially Hardy), sends Hardy/Johnson/Alexander on insider stunts, mixes personnel on the defensive line, etc. I don't see why he can't rush his DL for most every play and expect success, because he's had it basically all year with his defense.

    Ron Edwards is way more important than most people would like to admit. I'll be interested to see what happens too.





  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    4,523
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by homestarunner93 View Post
    He has done more than just send four guys. He's been standing up ends on third down (especially Hardy), sends Hardy/Johnson/Alexander on insider stunts, mixes personnel on the defensive line, etc. I don't see why he can't rush his DL for most every play and expect success, because he's had it basically all year with his defense.

    Ron Edwards is way more important than most people would like to admit. I'll be interested to see what happens too.
    You do have a good point with the way he's moving the DL around. I have to admit, we have a solid stable of DE's with Johnson, Hardy, Alexander (R), Applewhite (soon to be IR), and even seen flashes of potential from Keiser. I wouldn't be shocked if Alexander doesn't contend for more time within the next couple of years if he continues to progress.

    Overall, I'm pretty satisfied with where our D is compared to the last couple of years, I'm just still skeptical about McDermott, and a large reason for that is I hate his defense when the game is on the line. The lack of blitzes isn't a big deal to me as much as seeing our defense play 10 yards off the WRs when there's plenty of time on the clock.

    As far as Fua/Neblett/whoever starts the rest of the season, is anyone expecting any of the players to be able to fill the void? I'd love to see Fua emerge, but I just haven't seen anything from him so far to make me think he will.

    I really liked what Neblett did towards the end of last season, but he seems more like a UT than a NT. I suppose we could use two UTs, but I like our 4-3 with a NT to take up blockers. I like Kearse's size for a NT, and he's a 2nd year player, but I haven't noticed anything by him other than in pre-season.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,910
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by manbearchef View Post
    As far as Fua/Neblett/whoever starts the rest of the season, is anyone expecting any of the players to be able to fill the void? I'd love to see Fua emerge, but I just haven't seen anything from him so far to make me think he will.

    I really liked what Neblett did towards the end of last season, but he seems more like a UT than a NT. I suppose we could use two UTs, but I like our 4-3 with a NT to take up blockers. I like Kearse's size for a NT, and he's a 2nd year player, but I haven't noticed anything by him other than in pre-season.
    Kearse did well at the end of last year too. I wouldn't mind seeing him in there if Fua can't get it done. I agree that Neblett's more of a UT, would prefer not having two UTs.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Summerville, SC
    Posts
    268
    vCash
    1500
    Fua is horrible! GARBAGE! Always getting handled by average O linemen. Ron Edwards will be missed greatly. I'll say this about Ron Edwards though, He better take a pay cut to return next year after two seasons on the IR. D. Edwards has been the best pick up for us IMO up to this point. I hope we resign him to a multi year deal.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    4,523
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Killakatsfan View Post
    Fua is horrible! GARBAGE! Always getting handled by average O linemen. Ron Edwards will be missed greatly. I'll say this about Ron Edwards though, He better take a pay cut to return next year after two seasons on the IR. D. Edwards has been the best pick up for us IMO up to this point. I hope we resign him to a multi year deal.
    Ron is about to find himself in quite a nice situation if we don't draft a stud DT with our first pick. This game shows exactly what will happen if we lose the presence of a competent NT in the defense. I was thinking he'd have to take a pay-cut based on the injury, but if we play like slop we'll HAVE to keep him or sign a FA.

    I love the Dwan Edwards pick-up, but he's going to be 32 before next season starts. No way I want him signed to a big/long deal. I'd like to see a cheap 3-year deal or a 2-year deal.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,910
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by manbearchef View Post
    Ron is about to find himself in quite a nice situation if we don't draft a stud DT with our first pick. This game shows exactly what will happen if we lose the presence of a competent NT in the defense. I was thinking he'd have to take a pay-cut based on the injury, but if we play like slop we'll HAVE to keep him or sign a FA.

    I love the Dwan Edwards pick-up, but he's going to be 32 before next season starts. No way I want him signed to a big/long deal. I'd like to see a cheap 3-year deal or a 2-year deal.
    Dwan Edwards is younger than Ron Edwards and is every bit as essentially to this D-line as Ron. Losing either without drafting his replacement could be disastrous. I would give them both extensions AND draft a NT in the first or second round. Obviously, we can't afford too much, but we should be able to afford something reasonable for both.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    42,812
    vCash
    7100
    Today proves that Edwards is top 3 among the most important players on the defense this year.





Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •