Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Cuban backs Stern

Mark Cuban has backed Stern after his fines of the Spurs.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story/...rs-fine-higher

To make a long story short Cuban said he might have done the same thing as Pop if his team was in the same situation, he said Stern has to take some blame for scheduling poorly, but that the NBA is a business and television contracts help pay the bills for the NBA.

What do you think. I actually agree with everything he said. There is plenty of blame to go around. Stern screwed up the schedule, but the NBA is a business.

vCash
    im a business

vCash

Cuban backs Stern

Scheduling is an issue here. I mean for example how can u have like 4/5 nights off then turnaround and have 4 games in 5 nights lol

4. 12-02-2012, 07:23 AM
    Reason
    Off Topic

vCash
    I'm sick of hearing about the scheduling. These guys get paid millions of dollars to do their jobs, so if they don't like the schedule or they think it's unfair then find other employment. Stern was totally in the right to fine the Spurs. I understand if you wanted to rest those guys down the stretch, but not 17 games into the season, and not all at one time, and not on a nationally televised game. The fans paid a premium for that game as well. Four games in five nights...boo hoo :cry:. Baseball players play 9 games in nine nights sometimes. If the Yanks want to rest their guys, they would rest one player. They would not rest Jeter, A-rod, tex, and Granderson on the same night that they play the Red Sox. I swear most of these athletes are babies.... Here's to you Stern
    Last edited by venom518; 12-02-2012 at 07:30 AM.

Windsor, Earth's Rectum (as reported by Stephen Colbert).
    vCash
    Stern has to do what he thinks is best for the game. That said, there is no rule against doing what the Spurs did, so to fine them in not fair as they were not breaking any rules. Stern did not have "a right to fine the Spurs" because they didn't do anything that was against the rules as they have been written.

Stern should have highlighted this as an issue and let it be known that in future teams will risk a fine shoudl they rest healthy players.

As for Cuban backing Stern, he's just asn @$$ kisser... who cares what he thinks?

Now that a team has been fined for this though, teams will just go around the rules. They will register a player as having a 'light sprain' or 'flu-like symptons' to rest them and avoid the fine altogether.

Teams who need to do this will still do this.
    What the eye doesn't see and the mind doesn't know, doesn't exist.
    Follow me on Twitter and I'll follow back: @JasonJHorn

vCash
    Cuban is a business man first. A basketball fan second.

This is the same guy that doesn't want NBA players to participate in the Olympics because of financial risk.

So really, it's not surprising at all.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonJohnHorn View Post
    Stern has to do what he thinks is best for the game. That said, there is no rule against doing what the Spurs did, so to fine them in not fair as they were not breaking any rules. Stern did not have "a right to fine the Spurs" because they didn't do anything that was against the rules as they have been written.

Stern should have highlighted this as an issue and let it be known that in future teams will risk a fine shoudl they rest healthy players.

As for Cuban backing Stern, he's just asn @$$ kisser... who cares what he thinks?

Now that a team has been fined for this though, teams will just go around the rules. They will register a player as having a 'light sprain' or 'flu-like symptons' to rest them and avoid the fine altogether.

Teams who need to do this will still do this.
    How long have you followed Mark Cuban?

Quote Originally Posted by jakedajewler View Post
    I don't know who any punters are, that's when i go take a piss

vCash
    Cubes and me are the smae person

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by venom518 View Post
    I'm sick of hearing about the scheduling. These guys get paid millions of dollars to do their jobs, so if they don't like the schedule or they think it's unfair then find other employment. Stern was totally in the right to fine the Spurs. I understand if you wanted to rest those guys down the stretch, but not 17 games into the season, and not all at one time, and not on a nationally televised game. The fans paid a premium for that game as well. Four games in five nights...boo hoo :cry:. Baseball players play 9 games in nine nights sometimes. If the Yanks want to rest their guys, they would rest one player. They would not rest Jeter, A-rod, tex, and Granderson on the same night that they play the Red Sox. I swear most of these athletes are babies.... Here's to you Stern
    The players didn't ask to sit, it was Pop's decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Guppyfighter View Post

The division is going to be ran by the Sixers and Raptors in three years. Book it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HYFR View Post
    Scheduling is an issue here. I mean for example how can u have like 4/5 nights off then turnaround and have 4 games in 5 nights lol
    Well it's not that easy. All these arenas have concerts and other sports bookings.

And if they didn't like it, why did the teams agree to the scheduling?

vCash
    People forget that Cuban is an Owner first and a fan/gm second. Of course he is going to back Stern every owner would.

vCash
    You are going to compare basketball to a game that you may run only once or twice all game? They play so much cause they don't do crap. And just an FYI even in baseball they sit players all the time to rest them.

Windsor, Earth's Rectum (as reported by Stephen Colbert).
    vCash
    While we are on the topic of Mark Cuban, did anybody realise that while Cuban's last name is "Cuban", he is not in fact Cuban at all? I was thinking about making a thread about this ironic name. It is VERY misleading.
    What the eye doesn't see and the mind doesn't know, doesn't exist.
    Follow me on Twitter and I'll follow back: @JasonJHorn

vCash
    Stern was totally in the right to fine the Spurs.
    This is the only part of what you said I agree with.

I understand if you wanted to rest those guys down the stretch, but not 17 games into the season, and not all at one time, and not on a nationally televised game. The fans paid a premium for that game as well.
    Here you are 100% wrong. The buzzing in Stern's ear wasn't the fans, it was the television executives complaining their prime time game was ruined by a zealous coach. The same prime time executives that bid for games against other networks for coverage to drive advertising revenue, popularize their brand of coverage, etc. There's far more dollars driving Stern's actions here coming from the television companies than anything from "the fans."

In fact, the fans were overwhelmingly sympathetic with the Spurs as evidenced by numerous polls, outrage over the ridiculous schedule and sports media coverage in general. Stern had to bite the bullet and set both an example and a precedent. Better it was him than his successor.

There's really no analogy in modern sport that compares outside of possibly the brutal schedule of championship level football in Europe, where match congestion causes whole weeks of scheduling changes each and every season. Yet there, the practice of resting players for championship/continental play is allowed.
    Last edited by TopsyTurvy; 12-02-2012 at 08:18 PM.

vCash
    One of the worst posts ever! Congrats