Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonJohnHorn View Post
    Being an MVP candidate is a lot about perception and not always about who the better player is. I honeslty believe that had Parker gone down with an injury last season and George Hill played in his place, the team would have still been able to win 50 games. If Duncan had likewise gone down with an injury, the team would not have been able to compensate and there is no way they would have hit 50 wins.
    But George Hill isnt on the team. Why not look at the players they have on their team to figure out whos most VALUABLE when discussing the MVP?

If you meant to say Neal then I will have to disagree with you. I think the voters got the value part right by ranking TP above TD.

And Nash has proved that you can win MVP and not be the best player on the team. Many people would argue that Amar'e was the best player on that Phoenix team, but at the same time that Nash was more valuable.
    Yea but Nash was so valuable for that team that him being the best player was easily defensible. He wasn't too shabby by individual metrics either.

That, and people's perception about what is valuable are not always right. As an example, John Stockton never finished higher than Karl Malone in the MVP voting, but I think most people will agree that he was just as important to Utah's success as Malone. Why then has Stockton never won an MVP award? That said, I think Duncan is, and has been, the MVP of the Spurs since he was a rookie.
    Stockton and Malone is a good comparison. Malone was playing more minutes like TP too.
    Yo Kobe, get at me bro, we'd have a good time, man

vCash
    Duncan easily. How is that a question specially this year? He blows Parker from pretty much every advanced statistical standpoint and intangibles. Duncan's defense has been off the charts this year. He's probably been playing his best ball in 5 years.

Windsor, Earth's Rectum (as reported by Stephen Colbert).
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Chronz View Post
    But George Hill isnt on the team. Why not look at the players they have on their team to figure out whos most VALUABLE when discussing the MVP?

When I mentioned George Hill I had a couple of season ago in mind. Parker has been an MVP candidate for a couple seasons now, and when they had George Hill as a back-up, I thought that the team was capable of playing just as well with Hill in the line-up as Parker. I say 'capable' of playing as well, I do not mean the will always play as well. Hill obviously has been traded to the Pacers since in a deal I imagine Bufford regrets, but c'est la vie. He is playing very well in Indy.

With the current roster, they simply don't have a back-up who could cover for Parker as well as Hill, so Parker's value has increased since Hil's departure. Manu is essentially the next best play-maker after Parker, and then Diaw perhaps. They'd have a harder time replacing Parker now, which may give him a case as the Spurs' MVP, but that said, I don't think there is anybody in the front court who could come close to covering for Duncan's absence. Splitter? Blair is too small. Bonner? I mean, they just don't have anybody to provide the kind of rebounding and defence that Duncan can provide.

Parker is almost as valuable to the team now. But Manu and Diaw could share ball handling duties if called upon. Nobody on hte roster can replace Duncan's rebounding and defence.

And the MVP discussion aside, Duncan is still the best player on the roster, even if Parker is the MVP of the team, and the question is, after all, who is the best player on the Spurs.

But i wouldn't disagree with youl.
    What the eye doesn't see and the mind doesn't know, doesn't exist.
    Follow me on Twitter and I'll follow back: @JasonJHorn

vCash
    This year Timmy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonJohnHorn View Post
    When I mentioned George Hill I had a couple of season ago in mind. Parker has been an MVP candidate for a couple seasons now, and when they had George Hill as a back-up, I thought that the team was capable of playing just as well with Hill in the line-up as Parker. I say 'capable' of playing as well, I do not mean the will always play as well. Hill obviously has been traded to the Pacers since in a deal I imagine Bufford regrets, but c'est la vie. He is playing very well in Indy.
    LOL they traded him for Leonard in a move that everyone recognizes as a steal for San Antonio. Why would Buford regret getting the more promising player on a cheaper contract who happens to fill a need. I mean seriously what are you thinking here? Its such a nonsensical conclusion.

With the current roster, they simply don't have a back-up who could cover for Parker as well as Hill, so Parker's value has increased since Hil's departure.
    I was only talking about last year.

Manu is essentially the next best play-maker after Parker, and then Diaw perhaps. They'd have a harder time replacing Parker now, which may give him a case as the Spurs' MVP, but that said, I don't think there is anybody in the front court who could come close to covering for Duncan's absence. Splitter? Blair is too small. Bonner? I mean, they just don't have anybody to provide the kind of rebounding and defence that Duncan can provide.
    They did just fine a year ago but Splitter has regressed abit and Duncan has improved so hes more valuable now.

Parker is almost as valuable to the team now. But Manu and Diaw could share ball handling duties if called upon. Nobody on hte roster can replace Duncan's rebounding and defence.
    Hes actually less valuable because of Duncans resurgence.

And the MVP discussion aside, Duncan is still the best player on the roster, even if Parker is the MVP of the team, and the question is, after all, who is the best player on the Spurs.
    Yea I know, its just something he had going in his favor last year. Replacement value is still a part of a players worth to a team and on this team, TP had an argument last year.
    Last edited by Chronz; 12-02-2012 at 03:59 PM.
    Yo Kobe, get at me bro, we'd have a good time, man

vCash
    Coach Pop

vCash
    I think it's pop's team. And it always has been.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123