Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    vCash
    Honestly what are we missing here again?

Code:
    Rk            Player Age  G GS   MP  FG  FGA  FG%  3P 3PA  3P%  FT FTA  FT% ORB DRB TRB AST STL BLK TOV  PF  PTS
    1         Tim Duncan  36 16 16 30.7 7.4 13.9 .529 0.1 0.2 .667 3.6 4.7 .760 1.7 8.1 9.8 2.6 0.9 2.5 1.4 1.9 18.4
    2        Tony Parker  30 15 15 31.7 7.3 15.2 .482 0.4 1.1 .353 2.2 3.0 .733 0.3 2.7 3.1 7.2 0.7 0.1 2.0 1.7 17.3
    Code:
    Rk            Player Age  G  MP  PER  TS% eFG% ORB% DRB% TRB% AST% STL% BLK% TOV% USG% ORtg DRtg  OWS DWS  WS  WS/48
    1         Tim Duncan  36 16 491 27.3 .576 .534  6.7 28.7 18.3 14.8  1.5  5.8  7.9 25.9  116   94  1.5 1.1 2.6   .256
    2        Tony Parker  30 15 476 20.1 .523 .496  1.3  9.4  5.6 39.5  1.1  0.1 10.8 26.7  110  106  1.1 0.4 1.5   .152

Quote Originally Posted by rhymeratic View Post
    Shoot I'd even put up Glen Rice and Mitch Richmond in their prime at or slightly better than James. Even Glenn Robinson who is a forgotten beast.

Quote Originally Posted by LoveMeOrHateMe View Post
    Kobe GOAT LOL
    ^Finally got one.

vCash
    The most important player on the team is easily Duncan as he effects the game on both sides. But at this stage TP is the obvious offensive #1 despite their averages being similar. This could end up like an MVP debate though. Better player vs. most valuable....

vCash
    Duncan.
    http://newyorkknicksmemesdotcom.file...73bd8ccc5d.gif
    Amare!!!!

SIM LEAGUE SUNS
    Jason Kidd and Chris webber
    2000-2001 48-34 first round KO
    2001-2002 64-18 first round KO
    2002-2003 55-27. Second round KO
    2003-2004 46-36 second round KO game 7 loss
    2004-2005 42-40
    2005-2006 welcome Glenn big dog

Sig bet with Mr. baller on Yankees making the playoffs loser has to hold
    SIG of the winners choice for entire playoffs

vCash
    Duncan Donuts
    Sim League SuperSonics 1 Time NBA Sim Champions

Westbrrok-KCP-Hayward-Nicko T/Noel - Noah

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kdspurman View Post
    The Spurs can win more games with Parker out than with Tim out. He means too much on both ends of the floor.
    Maybe this year but what about the last few years?
    Yo Kobe, get at me bro, we'd have a good time, man

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Chronz View Post
    Maybe this year but what about the last few years?
    Duncan's defense sets him above Parker. Parker is no doubt the main focus of the offense, but Duncan can be on any given night as well and consistently plays great defense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sssmush View Post
    no offense but the Spurs are freakin' communists bro. They should get with Stern's capitalist agenda like NOW

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Giraffes Rule View Post
    Duncan's defense sets him above Parker. Parker is no doubt the main focus of the offense, but Duncan can be on any given night as well and consistently plays great defense.
    Yea but Parker was an MVP candidate and the team did fairly well with Duncan not getting much run

vCash
    Yea but Parker was an MVP candidate and the team did fairly well with Duncan not getting much run
    Numbers show how much the defense relies on Duncan. Even last year, with TP as an MVP candidate, that's simply cause his numbers were better than Duncan.

But in terms of importance to the team, it has to be Duncan. That's not taking anything away from Parker, he's been great, hitting clutch shots and getting his teammates open, but if you take out Duncan, this team will get lit up on a nightly basis.

vCash
    I still think Duncan is the best player on the Spurs.
    Magic. Red Sox. Colts. Knights.

Windsor, Earth's Rectum (as reported by Stephen Colbert).
    vCash
    Duncan easily. The thing is, people need to keep a couple things in mind. Has Pop said it' "Parker's team"? Maybe. And he wouldn't be wrong. Parker has, over the last couple seasons, played more minutes than Duncan, and he is the floor general. Duncan and Pop both put a lot of responcibility in Parker's hands. But that doesn't mean that Parker is the best player.

Duncan is, and has been the best player on the team since the 98-99 season (I put he and Robinson as equals in Duncan's first season). Duncan's minutes have decreased over the last few seasons, but his productivety has not really fallen off. If you look at his per36 minute stats he is performing very near the level he was when he was in his prime.

Pop isn't 'Antoni... he doesn't play his best players for 42 minutes a game. He knows that you need to develop a strong bench in order to win titles, and in turn, during the regulars season, he plays his starters fewer minutes than he does in the post-season to give the bench time on the floor to develop their game and become a better suport group.

Duncan, when he is on the court, is the best player the Spurs have. Parker and Manu are equals in my eyes, even if Parker has more time with the ball. It's hard to evaluate these players by their stats because they all give up their personal stats for the benefit of the team. Manu could be a diva and demand a starting job and he coudl very well have been a legit first option during his prime. But he knows the team is good and that Parker and Duncan have as much to contribute as he does, and that the bench ahd role players need to be invlved if the team is going to do well.

They take fewer minutes, have lower averages and as a result, win more games.

But the bottom line is, head-to-head, each of these guys (Duncan, Parker, and Manu) can outplay anybody at their position (which is not to say they always do, but that they can and often do). Duncan though is still the ebst player on the team.
    What the eye doesn't see and the mind doesn't know, doesn't exist.
    Follow me on Twitter and I'll follow back: @JasonJHorn

Windsor, Earth's Rectum (as reported by Stephen Colbert).
    vCash
    Being an MVP candidate is a lot about perception and not always about who the better player is. I honeslty believe that had Parker gone down with an injury last season and George Hill played in his place, the team would have still been able to win 50 games. If Duncan had likewise gone down with an injury, the team would not have been able to compensate and there is no way they would have hit 50 wins.

And Nash has proved that you can win MVP and not be the best player on the team. Many people would argue that Amar'e was the best player on that Phoenix team, but at the same time that Nash was more valuable.

That, and people's perception about what is valuable are not always right. As an example, John Stockton never finished higher than Karl Malone in the MVP voting, but I think most people will agree that he was just as important to Utah's success as Malone. Why then has Stockton never won an MVP award? That said, I think Duncan is, and has been, the MVP of the Spurs since he was a rookie.
    What the eye doesn't see and the mind doesn't know, doesn't exist.
    Follow me on Twitter and I'll follow back: @JasonJHorn

vCash
    Easy. 5 years ago Dunan , now Parker.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jblonde2012 View Post
    Easy. 5 years ago Dunan , now Parker.
    It's funny because 5 years ago the Spurs won a championship (2007), and Parker was the finals MVP.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kdspurman View Post
    Numbers show how much the defense relies on Duncan. Even last year, with TP as an MVP candidate, that's simply cause his numbers were better than Duncan.
    Maybe this year but I dont think thats true for last year. Individually, I do think Duncan was the better player (only slightly during the regular season but exponentially so come playoffs), but for that regular season in terms of VALUE. I think the voters got it right.

Last year when Duncan sat the team was able to bring in a very productive Tiago. Tiago has regressed and Duncan has improved so the 2-way difference has been more influential in this years numbers. But last year the Spurs efficiency fell off more without TP. You can look at the numbers with or without TP and Duncan, lineups with only Duncan vs only Parker, the results are the same. TP had a greater pull. His backup eventually became Neal, but hes not a PG by any means so the difference in the attack was compounded.

But in terms of importance to the team, it has to be Duncan. That's not taking anything away from Parker, he's been great, hitting clutch shots and getting his teammates open, but if you take out Duncan, this team will get lit up on a nightly basis.
    I agree overall, Duncan is more important when the games are more important, but for these regular season grinds, I see no reason to go with the guy whos closer to his prime, putting up comparable individual production and superior +/- influence. Duncan has changed the game with his recent season tho.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonJohnHorn View Post
    Being an MVP candidate is a lot about perception and not always about who the better player is. I honeslty believe that had Parker gone down with an injury last season and George Hill played in his place, the team would have still been able to win 50 games. If Duncan had likewise gone down with an injury, the team would not have been able to compensate and there is no way they would have hit 50 wins.

And Nash has proved that you can win MVP and not be the best player on the team. Many people would argue that Amar'e was the best player on that Phoenix team, but at the same time that Nash was more valuable.

That, and people's perception about what is valuable are not always right. As an example, John Stockton never finished higher than Karl Malone in the MVP voting, but I think most people will agree that he was just as important to Utah's success as Malone. Why then has Stockton never won an MVP award? That said, I think Duncan is, and has been, the MVP of the Spurs since he was a rookie.
    Last year? I don't think we would've 50 with no Parker. Hill wasn't there either, backups were Mills/Neal, plus Manu was out a bunch of games with a broken hand.

But like I mentioned before, they will win more games if Parker goes out than Duncan, because someone like Mills can get it going offensively, and Manu can step it up in terms of attacking the basket.

Good comparisons btw..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast