Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 116
  1. #61
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,208
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace Drivers View Post
    So I'm seeing a lot of Lind (former silver slugger), Rasmus (hit 23 HR's last year, 75 runs, and 75 RBI's), Lawrie (young awesome prospect)...

    My point in mentioning this is that these guys have already had break out years...Rasmus with those numbers and his defence is already a top 40 guy in the AL...and like many have mentioned previously will it really surprise you if Lawrie lives up to the hype? And well its expected Romero has a bounce back year...it shouldn't surprise you.

    Not one person on this forum would have predicted EE's year last year as he never really did anything close to that before...nor did Bautista.

    So who will be the biggest surprise and do something no one expects...

    This is actually very difficult to answer...there's not really a guy on our team who hasn't done something and if plays at the level they should then we will could 110 games.

    So my surprise player of the year will be Chad Jenkins...our 6th starter. I see him winning 15 games because Ricky's gonna spend the year on the DL...if we get 25 starts out of Morrow and Johnson that will be awesome...point being the 6th starter on our team will get 25 starts due to others injuries and do very well because of it. he will 15 games because our offence is dirty!
    The Bautista part I agree with. But there were a few voices that were talking about EE's potential. And although one of those was outside of the forum he is rather credible.....AA.

    Maybe we wouldn't have predicted 40 homers but I remember reading alot of optimist predictions in the 30-35 range.

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    159
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by JaysLeafs98 View Post
    I think if Bonifacio plays every day he would be my pick. Not on the defensive side so much but if he can return to his 2011 form I think he could be outstanding in Rogers Centre. The other guys in the Marlins trade also think he is highly under-rated but i guess we'll find out.
    But again...Boni has done it...he's proven he can do it...

    Do we even have a guy who hasn't impressed in some way shape or form...or is expected to?

    Which is why I think you have to go to a guy like Chad Jenkins...no one expects him to have a breakout year...but he could with the reality of injuries and pitching...especially for the jays...

    Speaking of which, does anyone think the Jays insistence that guys learn the change-up, albeit a very useful pitch, have anything to do with our over abundance of pitching injuries?

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,906
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Twitchy View Post
    Nobody said they had to get a guy who costs an arm or a leg. An 800 OPS would be good enough at this point, as the odds of Lind breaking 750 are pretty damn slim.
    I've seen a lot of people saying we need to upgrade on Lind, but not a lot of ideas on how to do it. You guys have any reasonable ideas?

    That's my point, we DO need a LHB and he should be able to hit 5th. If you guys have some options that fit that criteria are A) Available B) An Upgrade and C) Affordable (monetarily and asset-wise); I'd like to hear about them.

    I don't like Lind any more than anyone else, so your post was kind of a waste of time, I agree, just stating that people should get used to it. Look around at the market, Adam LaRoche is about to get a serious 4 year contract. LH power bats are entrenched in their team's line-ups and not available. It's not as simple as dumping Buck and Romero and trading for Votto.

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    T.O., Canada
    Posts
    14,403
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace Drivers View Post
    But again...Boni has done it...he's proven he can do it...

    Do we even have a guy who hasn't impressed in some way shape or form...or is expected to?

    Which is why I think you have to go to a guy like Chad Jenkins...no one expects him to have a breakout year...but he could with the reality of injuries and pitching...especially for the jays...

    Speaking of which, does anyone think the Jays insistence that guys learn the change-up, albeit a very useful pitch, have anything to do with our over abundance of pitching injuries?
    Considering you throw a change with the same arm speed/angle as a fastball, no.
    2013

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    159
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by albertajaysfan View Post
    The Bautista part I agree with. But there were a few voices that were talking about EE's potential. And although one of those was outside of the forum he is rather credible.....AA.

    Maybe we wouldn't have predicted 40 homers but I remember reading alot of optimist predictions in the 30-35 range.
    Prior to last year EE was the most hated jays player talked about...sure a lot talked about his potential, but he never did it and he was perhaps the worst defensive player in the league at the time...wait how many games did Mark Reynolds play in 2011? Cuz he's worse...

    AA signed him to be a back-up/platoon player...that's it, and well we all know what happened.

    Speaking of which, I think Rasmus and Lind should follow EE to Dominican and spend some time with Cano's hitting instructor as well...and why are we not hiring that guy as are hitting coach...whoever he is.

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    T.O., Canada
    Posts
    14,403
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Gruber View Post
    I've seen a lot of people saying we need to upgrade on Lind, but not a lot of ideas on how to do it. You guys have any reasonable ideas?

    That's my point, we DO need a LHB and he should be able to hit 5th. If you guys have some options that fit that criteria are A) Available B) An Upgrade and C) Affordable (monetarily and asset-wise); I'd like to hear about them.

    I don't like Lind any more than anyone else, so your post was kind of a waste of time, I agree, just stating that people should get used to it. Look around at the market, Adam LaRoche is about to get a serious 4 year contract. LH power bats are entrenched in their team's line-ups and not available. It's not as simple as dumping Buck and Romero and trading for Votto.
    Why does it have to be a lefty? Ideally, sure, but between Melky and Rasmus there's more than enough flexibility to work another RH bat in.
    2013

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Toronto/London
    Posts
    2,837
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace Drivers View Post
    Prior to last year EE was the most hated jays player talked about...sure a lot talked about his potential, but he never did it and he was perhaps the worst defensive player in the league at the time...wait how many games did Mark Reynolds play in 2011? Cuz he's worse...

    AA signed him to be a back-up/platoon player...that's it, and well we all know what happened.

    Speaking of which, I think Rasmus and Lind should follow EE to Dominican and spend some time with Cano's hitting instructor as well...and why are we not hiring that guy as are hitting coach...whoever he is.
    You know that Encarnacion is not Rasmus or Lind. Everyone reacts to approaches different, that is why i dont like one hitting coach per team. For some players, certain techniques click, for others, they dont. Sometimes players just find it and others dont. We got lucky with both Encarnacion and Bautista, i dont know if we will strike lightning 3 times

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    159
    vCash
    1500
    guys you are clouding this conversation...the person who started this thread asked a simple question and it has turned into the "one more bat" thread which seems to be taking over every thread these days...

    and I know who can hit fifth...he's already on the team...bats left, an upgrade over Lind, a contact hitter with power potential...his name is Melky...I think someone previously suggested this already in another thread...

    Reyes
    Lawrie
    Bautista
    EE
    Melky
    Rasmus
    JPA
    Lind
    Bono

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    159
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Farsight View Post
    You know that Encarnacion is not Rasmus or Lind. Everyone reacts to approaches different, that is why i dont like one hitting coach per team. For some players, certain techniques click, for others, they dont. Sometimes players just find it and others dont. We got lucky with both Encarnacion and Bautista, i dont know if we will strike lightning 3 times
    it wouldn't be lightning, as both have have done it b4...I just think given the many approaches that have been tried on these two why not try another that seems to work Cano, who's pretty decent I'm told...and well we all know what EE did last year...couldn't hurt, all I want out of Lind is some resemblance of his Silver Slugger year

    I agree however that a standard approach to all players is a poor approach...like someone mentioned earlier some need to coddled, some need to be challenged, some need to be left alone...

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Woodstock
    Posts
    2,748
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace Drivers View Post
    But again...Boni has done it...he's proven he can do it...
    I agree with this but I meant more along the lines of power numbers, i should have specified but I could see him approach the 35-40 doubles and hit somewhere between 10-15 HR's.

  11. #71
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Toronto/London
    Posts
    2,837
    vCash
    1500
    Just because someone has had one good season does not mean that its going to happen again. If someone has a breakout year and keeps on performing at a similar level (such as Bautista) than its safe to say that they can sustain their level of performance. But if you look at a player such as Lind who had one good season, and every other season hes been horribly bad, its almost safe to say that his one good season was a deviation from the norm. Thus, its an outlier. This is simple math. If he had solid peripherals you could make an argument, but he has not, same thing applies to Bonifacio, but to a lesser extent
    Last edited by Farsight; 12-04-2012 at 03:53 PM.

  12. #72
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Spider Skull Island
    Posts
    601
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace Drivers View Post
    So I'm seeing a lot of Lind (former silver slugger), Rasmus (hit 23 HR's last year, 75 runs, and 75 RBI's), Lawrie (young awesome prospect)...

    My point in mentioning this is that these guys have already had break out years...Rasmus with those numbers and his defence is already a top 40 guy in the AL...and like many have mentioned previously will it really surprise you if Lawrie lives up to the hype? And well its expected Romero has a bounce back year...it shouldn't surprise you.

    Not one person on this forum would have predicted EE's year last year as he never really did anything close to that before...nor did Bautista.

    So who will be the biggest surprise and do something no one expects...

    This is actually very difficult to answer...there's not really a guy on our team who hasn't done something and if plays at the level they should then we will could 110 games.

    So my surprise player of the year will be Chad Jenkins...our 6th starter. I see him winning 15 games because Ricky's gonna spend the year on the DL...if we get 25 starts out of Morrow and Johnson that will be awesome...point being the 6th starter on our team will get 25 starts due to others injuries and do very well because of it. he will 15 games because our offence is dirty!
    ee hit 29 hrs in cinci so lind is the best comparison to make, had one good year and couldnt get it together after
    Blue Jays 2013 world champs, just watch

  13. #73
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Spider Skull Island
    Posts
    601
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace Drivers View Post
    Prior to last year EE was the most hated jays player talked about...sure a lot talked about his potential, but he never did it and he was perhaps the worst defensive player in the league at the time...wait how many games did Mark Reynolds play in 2011? Cuz he's worse...

    AA signed him to be a back-up/platoon player...that's it, and well we all know what happened.

    Speaking of which, I think Rasmus and Lind should follow EE to Dominican and spend some time with Cano's hitting instructor as well...and why are we not hiring that guy as are hitting coach...whoever he is.
    thats why lind is this years version
    Blue Jays 2013 world champs, just watch

  14. #74
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Spider Skull Island
    Posts
    601
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by FlakeyFool View Post
    durrrrrrrrrrr facepalm...

    thats you

    facepalming isnt a response people, put some effort in, use your words
    Blue Jays 2013 world champs, just watch

  15. #75
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    18,739
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Gruber View Post
    I've seen a lot of people saying we need to upgrade on Lind, but not a lot of ideas on how to do it. You guys have any reasonable ideas?

    That's my point, we DO need a LHB and he should be able to hit 5th. If you guys have some options that fit that criteria are A) Available B) An Upgrade and C) Affordable (monetarily and asset-wise); I'd like to hear about them.
    You can try to sign LaRoche, you can spend money for a guy like Swisher. You could probably gamble on Eric Chavez as the DH, and you could always use him at 3B to give Lawrie a day off as well (or just DH him). Hafner would be intriuging in a more favourable park, as he posted a 119 wRC+. He'll miss some time with injuries but he'd be a very good fit. Probably wouldn't cost much. Morneau is a good trade option. I don't know what's the deal with Wilson Betemit (whether he's a FA or not) but he's been pretty good against RHP.

    So that's what, 5-6 options over trade or free agency who would upgrade the team over Lind.

    I don't like Lind any more than anyone else, so your post was kind of a waste of time, I agree, just stating that people should get used to it. Look around at the market, Adam LaRoche is about to get a serious 4 year contract. LH power bats are entrenched in their team's line-ups and not available. It's not as simple as dumping Buck and Romero and trading for Votto.
    Enough teams need a C that you could dump Buck, but even if you don't there are still plenty of options. And that was just focusing on realistic LH hitting options. You could always gamble on a platoon bat like Andy Dirks, or trade for Jason Kubel. The Cardinals have Craig at first, if they can't find a spot for Matt Carpenter I'd ask about him.

    There are tons of possibilities, be it through FA or the trade market, cheap or expensive. Going in with Lind is the worst option the Jays could choose.
    Last edited by Twitchy; 12-04-2012 at 04:40 PM.


    Vic Mackey: You better figure out how much you hate me. And how you're going to deal with that. 'Cause I'm not going anywhere.

    This sums up every sports interview, ever.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •