Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Sabean says goal of winter meetings is to re-sign Pagan, Scutaro -- trades unlikely

Sabean said highest priority for winter meetings is Scutaro, Pagan signings. Nothing close. There are fallback positions.

"We're not going to be active" in trades.
    https://twitter.com/hankschulman
    2014 Indianapolis Colts: Let's Hunt

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    "Luck has the most diverse skill set of any NFL quarterback" - Ron Jaworski on Andrew Luck being a top 5 QB

vCash
    Here's a story on it:

Much like in the postseason, when the players took a “just one more day together” approach, the Giants’ front office is keeping it simple as the Winter Meetings approach. General manager Brian Sabean said the goals next week are “extremely finite.”

“We’re trying to get Scutaro and Pagan done,” Sabean said Friday.

Pagan and Scutaro, the top two hitters in the Giants’ lineup, remain free agents and continue to test the market. The Giants remain hopeful that both players will return to San Francisco, but Sabean said, “We don’t have a deal, so that tells you we’re not close.”

The Giants won’t be close to filling any other roster gaps until Scutaro and Pagan make decisions. Sabean said the team is not active in trade discussions and it’s too early to focus on other positions. “We have fallback positions and have created options if one or both decides not to sign with us,” he said. “We’ll react to what we’re up against.”

That stance will be taken in the bullpen, too. The Giants have not made a formal announcement, but it’s a near-lock that Brian Wilson will be non-tendered before the 9 p.m. deadline, making him a free agent. Asked about the process today, Sabean said, “You just use that clock to be thorough.”

On other subjects:

— Sabean said the Giants are open to signing Santiago Casilla to a multi-year extension, and that they are prepared to open the 2013 season with the same bullpen cast if they reach a limit with their budget.

“I like our (closer) choices,” Sabean said. “We’ll visit that as we know what happens with our position players and what that impact is on our budget.”

— Wilson has started throwing from 60 feet, an improvement on his previous sessions, which came from 45 feet. He’s still throwing off of flat ground, not bullpen mounds. “It’s a snail’s pace at this time,” Sabean said, “Which is not unexpected.”

— Andrew Baggarly reported that Tim Lincecum checked in with the team and is “raring to go” after receiving a new workout plan for the offseason.

— Sabean said the Giants have talked internally about a long-term extension for Buster Posey and are “open to the idea … we feel he deserves that consideration.” But don’t expect anything to happen anytime soon. The Giants remain focused on their free agents, and Posey’s agents will enter the winter meetings with plenty of bigger concerns. Sabean said he thought the extension talks could get going as Posey approaches his first round of arbitration. Asked if they’ve had similar discussions about Hunter Pence, who would like to stay here long-term, Sabean said: “Not necessarily.”

— Sabean said left field is a “fluid situation” and that he would wait and see what happens with Pagan. On that topic, I noticed a lot of talk on the comment board about Ryan Ludwick. From what I’ve heard, his asking price right now is very high.

— There’s a lot of TV money floating around baseball right now, and there hasn’t been much action over the last month. So what does Sabean expect from the winter meetings? “I’ve done this a long time, and I don’t think you know what to expect,” he said. Whatever happens next week, we’ll cover it here and on Twitter: @AlexPavlovic.
    http://blogs.mercurynews.com/giants/...medium=twitter

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    "Luck has the most diverse skill set of any NFL quarterback" - Ron Jaworski on Andrew Luck being a top 5 QB

vCash
    I've had a feeling this is what the offseason would be like. Hopefully Bourn signs before Pagan, limiting his options, limiting him to a 3-year deal.

Michael Morse High-Fives Himself dot gif

vCash
    Sabean said left field is a “fluid situation” and that he would wait and see what happens with Pagan. On that topic, I noticed a lot of talk on the comment board about Ryan Ludwick. From what I’ve heard, his asking price right now is very high.
    Is he referring to talk of Ludwick on message boards? I assume most of those were jokes, as his name was a punchline last offseason to what Sabes would do to fix our outfield.

vCash
    Andrew Baggarly reported that Tim Lincecum checked in with the team and is “raring to go” after receiving a new workout plan for the offseason.
    Oh, and thank god. his workout plan was stupid last season. I'm glad he isn't doing swimming.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rcs15 View Post
    Is he referring to talk of Ludwick on message boards? I assume most of those were jokes, as his name was a punchline last offseason to what Sabes would do to fix our outfield.
    the extra baggs message boards and our message board don't share common jokes.

<3

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiants5518 View Post
    the extra baggs message boards and our message board don't share common jokes.
    Their "ideas" are our jokes.

vCash
    Huff in left?

Seems like what he had to say was to be expected. I like the "not nesessarily" regarding the question of extending Pence. It would obviously be cool to see Posey extended through his arb years at least.

vCash
    I do expect the giants to be quiet besides trying to keep our own.

I hope they bring back Wilson at a lesser deal (incentive based)...

b/c Mota is most likely gone, as might Hensley...

What about Mijares? They have nobody in Left. They could use a decent starting pitcher in case of injury (minor league deal).

I guess Blanco should come back too. His OF defense is good enough.

Hector Sanchez will eventually want to start in this league, but probably not for this upcoming year.
    2012 World Series Champs Auto Checklist: Jeremy Affeldt, Javier Lopez (2), Ryan Vogelsong, George Kontos (2), Buster Posey, Brian Sabean, Bruce Bochy, Brandon Crawford, Sergio Romo, Barry Zito...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leftymo View Post

What about Mijares? They have nobody in Left. They could use a decent starting pitcher in case of injury (minor league deal).

Hector Sanchez will eventually want to start in this league, but probably not for this upcoming year.
    Giants tendered Mijares last night.

Ariana Grande

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leftymo View Post

I think it's time to assume Wilson won't be back. Locks to be in the bullpen are:

Affeldt
    Casilla
    Kontos
    Lopez
    Mijares
    Romo

And I'd assume Machi has an outside chance to make it. There's also guys like Dunning and Otero that could make the roster with a good Spring. I expect the Giants to extend a few ST offers and maybe sign a veteran arm.
    Last edited by Leandres_sf; 12-01-2012 at 06:10 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leandres_sf View Post
    I think it's time to assume Wilson won't be back. Locks to be in the bullpen are:

Casilla
    Kontos
    Lopez
    Mijares
    Romo

And I'd assume Machi has an outside chance to make it. There's also guys like Dunning and Otero that could make the roster with a good Spring. I expect the Giants to extend a few ST offers and maybe sign a veteran arm.
    Affeldt.

<3

vCash
    Affeldt^

vCash
    ^ affeldt?

That gives us one spot for someone to battle it out. I expect it to be from bochy, hembree, or some minor league signings... We do need a lonv man.
    Tbh i dont understand offering mijaes a deal... We dont need 3 lefties

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lincecum4CY View Post
    ^ affeldt?

That gives us one spot for someone to battle it out. I expect it to be from bochy, hembree, or some minor league signings... We do need a lonv man.
    Tbh i dont understand offering mijaes a deal... We dont need 3 lefties
    It gives Bochy more options. Affeldt will be used against both righties and lefties. Lopez and Mijares will used primarily against lefties. If they didn't bring back Mijares it limits Bochy on who to use in certain situations.

Ariana Grande

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast