Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 62 of 119 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472112 ... LastLast
    vCash
    At the rate things are shaping up this offseason (though they could be operating stealthy or something), we're going to be having these same conversations next year. "We lost XX(X?) games, we're not close to competing, so we can't add any major pieces."

This team is slightly worse heading into this offseason than it was heading into last offseason, and it's looking like there's a good chance they'll be even worse heading into next offseason.

vCash

2012 Winter Meetings Rumors & Discussion (12/2 - 12/6)

At this point im not expecting anything exciting so I can be pleasantly surprised if and when something does happen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Assman22 View Post
    What are Indians hoping to send to Zona along with Cabrera to get Bauer? Barney > Cabrera
    Meh... I'm not sure I 100% would agree with that. Sure Barney is far superior defensively but Cabrera has him offensively. I do think you could make a case either way but I think if I had to choose I would take Cabrera. I almost think Cabrera would be better suited at 2B than at SS.

Plus, if Cabrera moves to Arizona, we could even see an uptick in his offensive production playing in that park.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KyleJRM View Post
    At the rate things are shaping up this offseason (though they could be operating stealthy or something), we're going to be having these same conversations next year. "We lost XX(X?) games, we're not close to competing, so we can't add any major pieces."

This team is slightly worse heading into this offseason than it was heading into last offseason, and it's looking like there's a good chance they'll be even worse heading into next offseason.
    I'll say this. The MLB team is worse heading deep into the off season right now than it was last year but our farm is much better, our FO infrastructure is one of the best in baseball now, I believe our two big scouts McLeod and Wilken are the best in baseball and I believe our player development situation got much better this year with the addition of Derek Johnson, however I''m not too familiar with Tom Beyers.

So in retrospect since Theo is the team president he did a fantastic job reorganizing all the structure of our organization so it really comes down to Jed Hoyer fielding a competitive baseball team for 2013 which so far is not looking too good.

vCash

You are funny. You realize it won't be the number of games won or loss that makes the front office go for it. They will go for it when they start to see more progress with the young players and the system. Right now Rizzo/Castro/Samardzija aren't enough to go for it. Especially with their better prospects in the lower minors still. After next season I expect them in better position with their core and farm system wise(if they aren't then they aren't doing their job and I will start to rip them). Either way I think they will start to add big free agents next off season. I think they realized last year that things were so bad they had to rebuild for a few years first. Now after a few drafts with a high pick and trading off veteran talent for prospects. Along with clearing high priced veterans off the payroll, I think they will finally feel like they are in a comfortable position to start adding again.
    "Too big, too strong, too fast, too good"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cubswin25 View Post
    You are funny. You realize it won't be the number of games won or loss that makes the front office go for it. They will go for it when they start to see more progress with the young players and the system. Right now Rizzo/Castro/Samardzija aren't enough to go for it. Especially with their better prospects in the lower minors still. After next season I expect them in better position with their core and farm system wise. Either way I think they will start to big free agents next off season. I think they realized last year that things were so bad they had to rebuild for a few years first. Now after a few drafts with a high pick and trading off veteran talent for prospects. Along with clearing high priced veterans off the payroll, I think they will finally feel like they are in a comfortable position to start adding again.
    Take it to the thread. I've got walls of text in me today, but I won't do it here

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1972 Cubs View Post
    No way Barney is better than Cabrerra
    I don't know if you look deeper at the some of the advanced statistics, especially on the defensive side, Barney was far superior than Cabrera, but offensively Cabrera is much better.

Last season Cabrera only had about a .5 better WAR value than Barney which is a significant difference but I think you could make a case that Barney's value is just as good as Cabrera's value if you look at the overall package.

vCash
    Defense is capable of having career years, too. I'm not expecting Barney to put up those kinds of defensive value numbers in the near future again.

vCash
    Kyle is like randy quaid from major league.

vCash
    Defense is capable of having career years, too. I'm not expecting Barney to put up those kinds of defensive value numbers in the near future again.
    Oh I agree, he may not have those numbers in the future but he still will always be a good defender where as Cabrera... Not so much.

vCash
    White Sox In On Jeff Keppinger
    mlbtr
    FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER ChiTownGuido23

vCash
    Id assume the White Sox will make a strong push for Keppinger. I dont see them having to over pay too much for him as opposed to who else is out the at 3B.

Plus, I do not see them trusting Brent Morel either.

Mark him off the Cubs' list imo
    FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER ChiTownGuido23

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cubsbears1225:24591730
    White Sox In On Jeff Keppinger
    mlbtr

Just read that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cubsbears1225 View Post
    mlbtr
    Doesn't surprise me, they need a 3B and they can't resign Youklis. Morel isn't very good either.

vCash
    so it really comes down to Jed Hoyer fielding a competitive baseball team for 2013 which so far is not looking too good.
    I still think Jed is doing the best he can with what they can do at the major league level. It's not easy to improve a roster when you aren't going to spend big money on 3 plus year deals. Or trade any prospects of value to improve the major league roster now. He basically has to improve the roster on lower money short term deals or do it by trading midlevel prospects. Jed basically left the Padres to go to a similar if not worst situation of upgrading the major league roster. But at some point in the near future that will change. Either way you gotta like how the Cubs future looks. When you consider upcoming drafts, selling off more veterans for prospects and so much future money to spend. There's not a doubt in my mind that this team is going in the right direction. Plus I'm not totally writing off Jed this off season, I think Jed can make some moves still that might make this team competitive next year. If a lot of things go there way.
    "Too big, too strong, too fast, too good"