Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 61 of 119 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371111 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RedHeadsRule View Post
    I would've done Lake for Escobar, especially considering he's got two $5 million options in 2014 and 2015.
    I saw on mlbtraderumors that Escobar was not willing to switch of short - I imagine that is the main reason we didn't make the move.

vCash
    Say what you want, I'm still holding out for Reynolds. Haven't heard too much on what his asking price is, anyone have an idea?

Abide!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Moe Bigsley View Post
    Say what you want, I'm still holding out for Reynolds. Haven't heard too much on what his asking price is, anyone have an idea?
    I hate to say it but it seems more and more likely they'll just platoon Stewart/Valbuena for 2013. Reynolds isn't a Theo guy imo. Punting this season again it seems. "Maybe 2014" should be our motto going forward, at least for now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ABE32 View Post
    Escobar would be an asset himself more valuable than Lake as he is a SS and a major league SS at that that has had some good if not great seasons. He is not some throw away piece and with his salary you should make that move. The return they got back was a notch below Lake from what I am reading. I would have done it but the fron office must really see something they like in Lake.
    I think you are overrating Escobar value here. He's been traded three times now and a team has yet to get high value in return for him. He has had some good seasons and he's talented. But there is a ton of clubhouse baggage with him that you can't take lightly(major league teams aren't so you shouldn't either). As for right now until he cleans up his act he is a throw away piece. The Braves threw him away, so did the Jays and the Marlins got the best they could for him. Which isn't a lot, but it makes more sense for a team like the Rays to make that trade then it is for the Cubs. Since they have a deeper farm, need at SS, contending team and low payroll. I doubt the Cubs were ever going to offer more then a midlevel prospect. Lake might only be one himself now or close to it. But he still has upside/talent to turn into a good prospect. That was too much of a risk for the Cubs for a stop gap and a asset who might not get them the same in return next off season.
    "Too big, too strong, too fast, too good"

vCash
    What are Indians hoping to send to Zona along with Cabrera to get Bauer? Barney > Cabrera

vCash
    you know what guys there comes a point when everyone overpaying becomes the normal.... can we really sit here and say 100% this isn't just the new asking price for FA?

Also we are the fricken Chicago Cubs with 40 million to spend there is no reason we can't overspend a couple million here or there to get the guys we want/need to build a competitive ballclub.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cubswin25 View Post
    I think you are overrating Escobar value here. He's been traded three times now and a team has yet to get high value in return for him. He has had some good seasons and he's talented. But there is a ton of clubhouse baggage with him that you can't take lightly(major league teams aren't so you shouldn't either). As for right now until he cleans up his act he is a throw away piece. The Braves threw him away, so did the Jays and the Marlins got the best they could for him. Which isn't a lot, but it makes more sense for a team like the Rays to make that trade then it is for the Cubs. Since they have a deeper farm, need at SS, contending team and low payroll. I doubt the Cubs were ever going to offer more then a midlevel prospect. Lake might only be one himself now or close to it. But he still has upside/talent to turn into a good prospect. That was too much of a risk for the Cubs for a stop gap and a asset who might not get them the same in return next off season.
    Disagree with all of this...but not in a mood to discuss why. If we make a deal then i will vome back and argue with you but right now i might be a shade on the angry side...so i wont argue yet because you seem to be a good poster. If you were someone else i might go off and get another infraction.
    BUTTERFLIES AND RAINBOWS!!!!! I love it when a plan comes together - John Hannibal Smith.

"I hear STUPID People...When? Alllll theee timmme"

vCash
    Maybe today is the day something gets done?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by petrey10 View Post
    you know what guys there comes a point when everyone overpaying becomes the normal.... can we really sit here and say 100% this isn't just the new asking price for FA?

Also we are the fricken Chicago Cubs with 40 million to spend there is no reason we can't overspend a couple million here or there to get the guys we want/need to build a competitive ballclub.
    What guys u talking?
    BUTTERFLIES AND RAINBOWS!!!!! I love it when a plan comes together - John Hannibal Smith.

"I hear STUPID People...When? Alllll theee timmme"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by petrey10 View Post

I agree, but I'm not having this conversation about Escobar.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Assman22 View Post
    I hate to say it but it seems more and more likely they'll just platoon Stewart/Valbuena for 2013. Reynolds isn't a Theo guy imo. Punting this season again it seems. "Maybe 2014" should be our motto going forward, at least for now.
    I don't think they would just settle with that. They will bring in at least more options and better options then just that. But whoever they brought in was always going to be just a stopgap. Come 2014 I think they hope that Villanueva/Baez or maybe Vitters are ready to take over at some point. The 2013-2014 and 2014-2015 off season are ones I see as big ones for the Cubs. I think the plan was to spend two years restocking the farm, developing some young players and clearing the payroll.

I think you will see them sign two top free agents next year and at least one the year after that. So of course they wanna win now and I do believe they are trying to two have two parallel fronts. But obviously the future is the main front right now and trying to be good at the major league level is taking a backseat. But that doesn't mean they aren't trying to be good. It's just hard to do when you can only sign free agents to short term deals and don't wanna trade any prospects of value. So they need to get creative and well lucky. It may seem like a long shot and it is. But the A's and Orioles both showed last year that it's possible.

vCash
    You can't platoon those two, there's no split to work off of. Either could be involved in a platoon but would need a different partner.

vCash
    What are Indians hoping to send to Zona along with Cabrera to get Bauer? Barney > Cabrera
    No way Barney is better than Cabrerra

vCash
    Who for? I don't see any stud 25 year old free agents to lock up and build around. Most of these guys signing are 30 plus or flawed players. It doesn't make sense to sign guys who are in their 30s long term. Who might be past their prime come 2014-2015 when this team will be in a position to contend. They do have money to spend now, and I think they would spend it on guys for one year deals. It's hard to be patient, but the last thing you want is to lock up payroll on veterans or questionable players now. When it can be spent on elite free agents in a year or two. They are doing this the right away just give it time. I'm very confident that this time next year things will look ALOT better then right now.
    Last edited by cubswin25; 12-05-2012 at 10:38 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yagyu+ View Post
    It's going to be awfully hard for Francoeur to give fans beer money at Wrigley with the baskets in the way. Although, I suppose they work both ways, however, and serve as a popcorn safeguard.

Unless it was a dream, I believe he stole food from a White Sox fan.

EDIT: No dream. "Frenchy has some popcorn."

EDIT: I had no idea Francoer had pizzas delivered to fans. Pretty good story.
    Ok yeah Francoer defiantly moved up on my list right there haha. That's great. I guess if he can revert back to 2 years ago and we can platoon him properly it wouldn't be so bad of an option. Doesn't he have an awful contract though?