Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 119 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast
    vCash
    If the Rays can land Espinosa then I could see Barney playing SS as a more real possibility. They have a nice buy low option in Sean Rodriguez, who bring more power and patience than Barney without losing too much defensively. He's a guy who could see his numbers go up hitting out of the Trop and the AL East. He's been and remains a cheap 2B option with a history of success at the position.

Speaking totally in the case where he's paired with a pitcher obviously.

vCash
    I was just thinking the other day that if the Phillies traded anyone it would be Halladay...all those Lee rumors didn't make sense to me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gaughan333 View Post
    I'd be really interested in seeing what offers are tossed around for Upton
    They've had conversations with the Braves and asked for Simmons. That's the extent of what's known so far.

1934 1938 1961 2010 2013

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack the Ripper View Post
    They've had conversations with the Braves and asked for Simmons. That's the extent of what's known so far.
    Yeah I read that one
    Save the kittens, ignore sbs' posts
    Red Sox hater since 10/2011

It is anyway, not anyways.

vCash
    I'd assume the Braves would add Teheran and/or He whose name must not be spoken
    (Del*ado) as well?

vCash
    Thought I'd post this here as well:

NASHVILLE, Tenn. – Ten years ago, Theo Epstein showed up here for his first winter meetings as a general manager, the wonder boy who grew up near Fenway Park now running the Boston Red Sox.

Five years ago, Epstein returned here in the afterglow of his second World Series title, a curse-busting legacy that appeared to make him a legend throughout New England forever.

On Sunday night, Epstein landed in Nashville, Tenn., and headed toward the Gaylord Opryland, knowing that he probably won’t leave the hotel or feel any sunlight again until Thursday. The Cubs president of baseball operations makes ballplayer money now and hangs out with Pearl Jam front man Eddie Vedder, but he won’t be the star of these winter meetings.

Before the lobby even started buzzing, the Cubs had already reached an agreement with Kyuji Fujikawa. An industry source confirmed that a deal was made late Saturday night – all that’s left is the Japanese closer taking a physical. The reported terms – two years at $9.5 million, plus an option – show the type of commitments the front office is willing to make this offseason.

Insiders were left shaking their heads at the idea the Cubs are going after Michael Bourn. Yes, there’s a need for an outfielder, but there aren’t any megadeals in the works. Epstein isn’t going to waver from his plan just because the Cubs lost 101 games.

“He’s got conviction,” Arizona Diamondbacks general manager Kevin Towers said. “He’s got zero fear. He’s a great friend, but he would step on my neck, slice my throat to win. That’s just who he is.”

Towers warned his friend Brian Cashman, the New York Yankees general manager, when Epstein went to Boston: Look out, this kid’s good.

Epstein had just graduated from Yale University in 1995 when he went to work for the San Diego Padres, first in the communications department and then baseball operations. Towers was the general manager there when he had Epstein handling the radar guns and learning how to evaluate players up close. Epstein also graduated from University of San Diego’s law school during that time, though he didn’t spend much time in the actual classroom.

“I’d give Theo a project, it would take some interns two to three weeks,” Towers said, snapping his fingers. “It would be on my desk the next day.

“Incredible listener, incredible recall. He’d listen to the veteran scouts and show respect. He wouldn’t talk out of turn. He would listen and take things in and really learned that side of the game.”

Towers is convinced that Epstein has broken down all the teams in the National League Central, analyzing their contract situations and windows for contention, preparing for his chance to attack. And then the Cubs will be in total go-for-it mode.

But in the meantime, the Cubs will be looking for value and making under-the-radar moves. Like when Epstein noticed the Red Sox put David Eckstein on waivers in 2000.

“He came running in, saying we got to claim this guy,” Towers recalled. “I got the STATS Inc. book out at the time…I say: ‘No way.’ He says: ‘I’m telling you, man, there’s some indicators. This guy’s going to hit. He’s an on-base machine.’

“Could have just claimed him for 20 grand. He’s MVP of the World Series (a couple years later). I said: ‘I may want to start listening to this guy. He’s got some pretty good ideas.’”

The Cubs have already added two starters to their rotation on one-year deals. It only took a few minutes before Scott Baker and Scott Feldman were asked about the possibility of being flipped at the trade deadline. The clubhouse knows they need a strong start next April and May, or else risk Epstein pulling the plug on next season.

“As soon as you get to spring training and Opening Day starts, you’re in it to win it, until you’re not,” Epstein said. “Nothing would make me happier than being solidly in contention in June and July and adding pieces for next year. We’ll build the team and leave a little bit of a cushion, so that if things break our way and we get off to a good start, we can add pieces. With the second wild card, that’s never total fantasy.

“If we find ourselves in that position, we’ll be thrilled and we’ll go for it. If we’re not in that position, we’ll make the hard call that we made this year and do it in the best interests of the Cubs and look to move shorter-term assets for longer-term assets.

“We’ll look to move veteran players for younger players and use that as a way to improve our long-term prospects and build our foundation. But it’s not like we build the team hoping we go down that path. I hope we’re in a position to add, but we’ll be prepared for either scenario.”

Of course the Cubs are going to look at trade possibilities for Alfonso Soriano. And Fujikawa could make Carlos Marmol a trade chip again. But there’s probably not enough inventory to pull off a blockbuster deal.

Profiles of Towers have mentioned how the general manager used “gunslinger” as part of his personal e-mail address.

So Towers admired how Epstein pulled the trigger on a four-team trade on July 31, 2004, sending franchise icon Nomar Garciaparra to the Cubs and getting key pieces in return that helped the Red Sox win their first World Series title in 86 years.

In Epstein’s world, no one is untouchable. Starlin Castro, Anthony Rizzo and Jeff Samardzija will be core players – until they’re not anymore. They’re all assets in the rebuilding project on the North Side.

"Moving Garciaparra couldn’t have been easy,” Towers said. “He don’t care. He doesn’t fall in love with people. He’ll slice your throat and step on you
    Down in this vagina mine.

vCash
    So Plesac mentioned Tulo as a player to watch. Just to entertain the idea - would you guys think we could have a package for him without really hurting our farm? I wonder if he could play 2B or 3B.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TooL D/R/T View Post
    Good read. Good things to hear about our team president.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WOwolfOL View Post
    So Plesac mentioned Tulo as a player to watch. Just to entertain the idea - would you guys think we could have a package for him without really hurting our farm? I wonder if he could play 2B or 3B.
    Wow. That would be amazing if we got him. I definitely think he could play 3B for us. He'd probably cost too much though. He was hurt most of last year, so maybe that drops his price a little. Even so, I don't see any way we could trade for him without having our farm ravaged.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TooL D/R/T View Post
    Am I they only one who gets the feel that while Towers was giving this interview, Theo was stareing at him from across the room? Mental image: every time Towers mentions Epstein cutting his throat, he's also writing "HELP ME PLEASE" on a cocktail napkin, indiscreetly trying to get the reporter to read it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CPorter07 View Post
    Am I they only one who gets the feel that while Towers was giving this interview, Theo was stareing at him from across the room? Mental image: every time Towers mentions Epstein cutting his throat, he's also writing "HELP ME PLEASE" on a cocktail napkin, indiscreetly trying to get the reporter to read it.
    That would be a nice scene for a Cubs movie.
    BUTTERFLIES AND RAINBOWS!!!!! JP611 Just called me an ecstasy user!!!! WTF!!!

Welcome Tyler Kolek or Brady Aiken or Carlos Rodon if not one of them say hello To Alex Jackson.

vCash
    Arod will likely miss a good portion of 2013 weren't the yankees believed to be interested in Valbuena at some point last year?

Welcome Tyler Kolek or Brady Aiken or Carlos Rodon if not one of them say hello To Alex Jackson.

vCash

2012 Winter Meetings Rumors & Discussion (12/2 - 12/6)

Valbuena for Gardner. Book it

ONE GOAL ACHIEVED!
    1934, 1938, 1961, 2010, 2013

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CubsRule08 View Post
    Valbuena for Gardner. Book it
    Wishful thinking...Valbuena for Quazi Amir maybe!

vCash
    Soto resigns with the Rangers for 3 Million.
    Napoli close to a deal with the Red Sox...the catcher/DH market is shrinking!
    Last edited by ABE32; 12-03-2012 at 10:43 AM.

Page 5 of 119 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast